Combusting combustors

Moderator: Mike Everman

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Combusting combustors

Post by Viv » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:03 am

so I was at a loose end as the pressure jet problem seems to have been cracked so I thought would come back to this combustor problem that has been bugging me for a while:-)

This is just to get a bit of a discussion going to see were it leads, my first idea was along the lines of a vortex combustion device but the pressure losses would have been too high so I have moved on to using a few cast off ideas from the other sections of the forum.

This is from the valveless forum were we were debating those ceramic evaporators that Mark (I think found) and Mike everman suggested using a sintering process to form a porous block from aluminum for evaporating fuel, nice idea Mike, sorry I stole it:-)

Now in a combustor you need to get the air through it with out incurring a lot of pressure losses and add heat to it from the fuel, yes there are some other side issues like soot formation, pollution and so on but lets do things one at a time.

so what i was wondering about was this, take a tube as the combustor and line it with a poerus material with grooves in the back to act as fuel lines so you get an even supply of fuel the length of the materiel in the tube.

Air flows down the centre of the tube picking up vapor from the walls and burning as it travels the length of the tube.

Now the fuel evaporating is going to cool the tube and protect it from the heat so thats one thing out the way, the fuel is constantly filling the boundary layer so is this going to lower drag and flow/friction losses.

the fuel distribution will be rich at the outside and lean to zero at the centre, now they use this trick in new engines to lower pollution is this capable of the same.

I wondered about inducing rolling vortexes that flow along the tube like little burning donuts:-) as a way to mix fuel and air together for combustion.

Still lets have some ideas

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Raymond G
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Raymond G » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:15 am

Hi Viv,
Funny you should bring this up right now, as this subject is going quite strong on the HomebuiltTurbines group in Yahoo. You might want to take a look if you aren't already there.

Regards,
Raymond

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:24 am

Raymond G wrote:Hi Viv,
Funny you should bring this up right now, as this subject is going quite strong on the HomebuiltTurbines group in Yahoo. You might want to take a look if you aren't already there.

Regards,
Raymond
I havent visited that one Raymond, but i will now.

Ta muchly

Viv

Wow quick edit needed! I searched but there was lots and lots:-) got a URL for that buddy?
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Raymond G
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Raymond G » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:50 pm

Viv

Wow quick edit needed! I searched but there was lots and lots:-) got a URL for that buddy?
Sure do. It's http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homebuildturbines Wow. If you havn't heard of that list then maybe you aren't aware of the Gas Turbine Builder's Association, based out of the UK? They're at http://www.gtba.co.uk/

Regards,
Raymond

Update: I fixed the homebuildturbines link. the "." got lumped in the URL. Viv, you may want to update your URL in where you quoted me.
Last edited by Raymond G on Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:02 pm

Raymond G wrote:
Viv

Sure do. It's http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homebuildturbines. Wow. If you havn't heard of that list then maybe you aren't aware of the Gas Turbine Builder's Association, based out of the UK? They're at http://www.gtba.co.uk/

Regards,
Raymond
Hi Mate, yes GTBA I have used before its a good site but I have generally stayed away from Yahoo becouse of the advertising driving me nuts:-)

I will have a look now

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire