Piercing a gas canister?

Moderator: Mike Everman

JetSet
Antipspambot question: 0

Piercing a gas canister?

Post by JetSet » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:37 pm

Hi.
I have a helium cylinder from a party which I wish to use for 'something' (I dont know what yet). I will probably need to drill into it at some point, but am a bit weary.

I am sure it is empty, so I should be fine... BUT... there is the 'do not pierce' sign which always puts me off.

Any advice? Go for it or stay away?
Thanks.
JS.

Dang911

Post by Dang911 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:42 pm

With helium being non flammable, I do not see any problem. For extra caution, you may want to do it outside, to vent any remaining helium away. They put that warning on the bottle, because if you were to pierce a pressurized bottle, you would be in some trouble!

I have punctured propane cylinders without any problem....
Louder is ALWAYS Better!!!

NickC

Post by NickC » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:15 am

DO NOT pierce it if it is pressurized or you plan to ever pressurize it again! don't try to drill the bottle and thread in some fitting. If you rupture a helium tank it will (depending on pressure) create supersonic shrapnel!

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:29 pm

hmm... I have a guess this is one of those small "propane" type cylinders?

Anyways, if you've completely de-pressurized the system, you have nothing to worry about. However, make SURE IT IS EMPTY! Once it is, go ahead and drill it (don't use it anymore once you've drilled it like NickC said) The residual helium won't hurt you, and it's not flammable.
Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!

JetSet

Post by JetSet » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:31 pm

Like I say, it is empty, but there is always something at the back of my mind thinking 'what if'

I'll give it a go and see what I can turn it into.

[ Example ]

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:53 pm

well, you could always drill a tiny hole. If it still, for some reason, has pressure, it should just vent safely. I personally don't think you have anything to worry about. But, give it a go, wear goggles and gloves. And, if nothing else, you can use the metal to make parts with.
Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!

Jim Berquist

xxx

Post by Jim Berquist » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:40 pm

Insure you have depressurized it. Take out the valve stem and fill it with water.

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

JetSet

Post by JetSet » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:15 pm

Hi again.
When you say never presurise it again, what exactly do you mean? i.e. never refill, or that a hole would damage the structural integrity? It would be good to use as a presurised fuel tank, obviously not going to use massizely high pressures, but what do you think it could handle?

Thanks.
JS.

Fricke
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Fricke » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:44 pm

Drill it, weld it... Do whatever your heart desires with it... When finished with it... Take it to your local plumber and have them pressure test the tank with water to about the double of your working pressure...
"woot"
A shrill, obnoxious noise/word used by immature people to express happiness or excitement.
Supposedly started in the gamer community, but is now used by any slack-jawed moron to express delight.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:18 am

Sorry to bother you sir but with the regulator on my LPG cylinder, i cant get enough fuel in my engine cause i want my engine to move forward and for this i need a lot of pressure and fuel flow. :(

The problem is this that many people told me that without the regulator on, i will get the LPG container blow up as there will be a flashback from the engine......Please i need a little HELP!!! :cry: