Gluhareff 130R power failure issue still open ... Any Idear?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Graham C. Williams
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Graham C. Williams » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:11 pm

Viv.
You Lucky LUCKY SOD.
Graham

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:15 am

Graham C. Williams wrote:Viv.
You Lucky LUCKY SOD.
Graham
Probably a law against it it was so much fun:-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Dave

Recording Run

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:08 am

OK, from the sound of your responses the recording run is on. I just ordered a mic that is scheduled for delivery on Wed and I plan to leave on Thursday morning. If all goes well, and I can get my new PC loaded properly, we should be able to start recording some time on Friday.

Luc, directions, phone numbers and a recommendation on where to stay would be greatly appreciated.
Dave

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:29 am

Viv wrote:Probably a law against it it was so much fun:-)
Hey, isn't Val Thorens a bit chilly this time of the year? When I was still a travel agent, I used to recommend it to customers starting with March. The first time I was there it was the end of January and it was pretty scary. You really had to watch out. My balls froze off. Luckily I had already done my part in the procreation procreation by then.

luc

130R Power failure

Post by luc » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:34 pm

Greetings guys,

Heyyyy ... Viv, looked funny to see grand-Pa, standing on a piece of wood ... He he he. Imagine grand-Pa standing on his head after a nice fall ... Mouaaahahahaha... Mannn, I am bad ... He he he.

Snow Boarding in Canada is like any other country ... Except ... Mayby colder and harder when you fall.

Okeyyy ... Back to the engine. The engine is ready to operate so I put "Sound Recording" in the egenda for Friday.

Dave ... Go to this address : www.ind-rainville.qc.ca

And you will get all the details about phone numbers and address. Also, you can contact me via this email address :

dep.technique@ind-rainville.qc.ca

Or :

faads45@hotmail.com

To come to our place, you need to go trough the state of Vermont, by the 89 interstate until in Canada, afterwhat, you stay on route 133 until you reach Iberville. The 133 bring you about 1 mille from our facilities. You see, not that hard.

Contact me via the email above and I will give you more details.

Cya,

Luc................................Out

luc

130R power failure

Post by luc » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:20 pm

Heyyy Dave,

Below, you will find a link to a map. By using the the zoom in, you will clearely see the 89 interstate, the 133 road in Québec and then, the 104 going east. We are aprx. a mille from the 133/104 junction.

As for the sleeping, you have 2 choice ... Hotel or our place ... You choose.

If you choose the hotel, we will make arrangment when you get here. their is plenty here and we are in the quiet season.

see this map : http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?fo ... it=Get+Map

Any ... you can find this map on www.mapquest.com

Cya,

Luc

Viv

Post by Viv » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:08 pm

brunoogorelec wrote:
Viv wrote:Probably a law against it it was so much fun:-)
Hey, isn't Val Thorens a bit chilly this time of the year? When I was still a travel agent, I used to recommend it to customers starting with March. The first time I was there it was the end of January and it was pretty scary. You really had to watch out. My balls froze off. Luckily I had already done my part in the procreation procreation by then.
Colder than a witches tit! well the last couple of days that is, the first part of the week was blue skys and perfect sunny days, picked up a good tan

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Dave

Recording Trip

Post by Dave » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:03 pm

Luc
Thanks for the info. I printed out the maps and the info from your web site. I will try to give you a call later today to firm up the details.
Dave

luc

130R Power Failure

Post by luc » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:43 pm

Hi Dave .... Hi Guys,

No problem Dave. Call me when you want and I will give you all the details you need. Cya soon bud.

Qapla .............

Oupssssss .... Hold Klingon maners, coming back ... he he he.

Cya,

Luc

Viv

Post by Viv » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:49 pm

Dave, many thanks for going out of your way to get this recording I appriciate the effort and time.

Hope you have a good journy and a good time.

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Raymond G

Post by Raymond G » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:07 pm

I've been following the sound recording conversation and wanted to add some things.

First, there has been talk of using a FFT Spectral analysis to look at the waveform to find resonent frequencies. Does anyone on this list have the software and the expertese to do this? Is there a specific file format that should be used for the recording end? Do these things matter?

Luc,
If you haven't done so already, you probably want to put together some kind of test plan before Dave arrives. For one thing, you haven't mentioned what exactly it is you want to record. First, I would suggest that you would want to record the resonences of the metal when the engine is both cold AND hot when not running. This will help us to determine if there is a metal/gas sound interaction. Second, you might want to record the engine at startup to give a baseline both cold and warm. This will give us a comparison as to what is happening at full throttle. It will also help establish is the frequencies change with throttle setting. Third, you mentioned previously that you get a high pitched (or loud, I forget which) screeching or whistling when applying full throttle. You should record that. Forth, you could record the engine at 'full throttle'. Fifth, record a complete acceleration of the engine from idle to full throttle to see when, if any resonences occure, and when they change. A difficulty here would be tagging in the sound file when a transient occured. You would need a time based recording of your other data. Additionally, hope someone else on the list has some imput here.
It seems to me that you would want to record each of these conditions separately so that you would then have fixed settings that you are recording, and not 'smearing' the data with transient throttle settings. You could then also measure all of your other data (Temp, press, thrust) simultiously with each sound recording. Then a data set could consist of a sound file and a textfile with the measured readings taken with that sound recording.
I don't know if you already thought of all of this, but I just wanted to put it out there to assist this upcoming test. Hope this helps

Regards,
Raymond

Viv

Post by Viv » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:23 pm

"44.1KHz 16Bit WAV format."

"To send to someone this can be sent as a veriable bitrate (V100) mp3 file. It's about as good as you can get."

just a quick answer sorry i am chatting to graham on AOL at the moment

Hi just a bit more. I use Amadeus ll on a Mac laptop under OS X, runs a treat! FFT up to 256K points and thats way to much as 4k 8k points is fine.

It will shred a 60meg file in under ten seconds and you can do it in real time from an audio input.

Graham said he will add a PC perspective later for those of you on PCs

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

luc

130R Power Failure

Post by luc » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:09 pm

Wow ... Wow ... Wow,

You guys start talking chinees again... Slow down, I am no sounf wizard.

Okey ... Raymond, I have no test plan ... for now. If you guys have any idear on how we should do that, your more then welcome to make a test sheet that Dave and I would follow.

Except, making available an operational engine, plenty of fuel and a full day of recording if need be, that probably up to were my limitations are in that field. I am the operator here ... Dave will be the test conductor.

As for the recording process ... Yes, my intension was to do sperate recording of the start-up, warm-up and max power sequence seperatly along with recorded data (i.e : Time, Pressure and Temp.). Patrick or I, will operate the engine, the other will record data and Dave will do the sound recording.

Next to that, if you guys have a test plan or can put together a test sheet ... Welll, you'r already late ... Hurry up ... Go, go, go and post it here... Mannnn ... I always have to tell you guys, what to do ... He he he (Joke).

Cya guys,

Luc ...................Out

... build upbe running the enginemasterwere the only thingand with plww

luc

130R Power Failure

Post by luc » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:19 pm

Hoooo ... Forgot,

One more thing. The engine is actually 13 feet in the air, mounted on a steel structure, for our application. Is it better to run this test at ground level (3 feets of the ground) or leave it were it is?

Dave ... You need to give me your ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival) and your staying details.

Cya,

Luc ............ Out

Mark

Black Betty

Post by Mark » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:34 pm

Luc wrote:Hoooo ... Forgot,

One more thing. The engine is actually 13 feet in the air, mounted on a steel structure, for our application. Is it better to run this test at ground level (3 feets of the ground) or leave it were it is?

Dave ... You need to give me your ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival) and your staying details.

Cya,

Luc ............ Out
Luc, It seems like you are headed in the direction of a rocket. There's only so much energy to be extracted from propane and air before you start to crumble/pulsate any structure within 20 feet of you. It might be interesting to mix propane and air with a fraction of liquid O2 or N2O.
Perhaps you are trying for a fuel/air bomb engine.
Mark