Propellant Question

Moderator: Mike Everman

Najm
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Propellant Question

Post by Najm » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:21 am

Has anyone tried using a binder to bind the KNO3/Charcoal mixture?
Would be easier to cast this way. Also Kn would be more predictable.
I currently don't have any equipment to melt the sugar propellant. And I'm not stupid enough to try melting moderately large batches of the stuff over an open flame. Currently waiting for someone to bring me some paraffin wax so i can start casting/melting the safe way(I'm lazy).
I was thinking of using epoxy as a binder in the KNO3/Charcoal mix. Any encouragements? Or suggestions?
Or other suggestions of cold-cast propellants? I've already tried the epoxy/KNO3/Iron-oxide mix. Works great.
Another variation was to add aluminium instead of Iron-oxide, propellant was a bit hard to ignite relative to the previous mixture, burn rate was slower, but it burned good.

Ghrey
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Propellant Question

Post by Ghrey » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:48 am

I used Amberoid ( spelling? ) balsa adhesive as a binder once. It is basically cellulose when dry. CF. sugar. It worked well but my mixture was fuel rich, from the glue, massive smoke. That's how my year book picture ended up with a mushroom cloud next to it. That was nearly 30 years ago.

I do not know if they still make that glue but it was great stuff.
In the process of moving, from the glorified phone booth we had to the house we have.

No real time to work on jets, more space, no time.

Life still complicated.