1 Hour rockets!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Zippiot
Antipspambot question: 0

1 Hour rockets!

Post by Zippiot » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:00 pm

1 time use, mostly...

Here is how it goes down (I will be launching three of these this afternoon I will report back if they work at all...)
Things you will need:
printer paper
pvc pipe
fin material (can be paper, tounge depressers or anything)
nose cone
clay or other nozzle material (i Use anchoring cement with shredded fiberglass, its a little overkill but works great)
Propellant (anything you like but I must recomend Rcandy)
Tape and glue
bamboo skewer (or small stick, for larger motors a pencil will work)

First things first, mix the fuel and place in the oven (I mix up the rcandy and palce it in a paper cup at 350 degrees. On top of a coookie sheet or pyrex dish for safety, in he middle of the oven, and use the bottom oven if you have one. NO GAS!!!!!) This is the method I found to work for me, while most recomend to stay away from it, it is quite effective if properly supervised.
Grab a piece of pvc pipe (size doesnt matter the bigger the pipe the bigger the rocket). Roll a piece of printer paper around it, glueing it as you roll. Once done place it in an oven heated between 200 and 250 degrees, make sure you check it and place it over the pipe often to keep its shape.
Now cut a length of the pvc pipe. The bigger the piece the bigger the motor, but you must keep in mind ballance of the rocket. Now to make the nozzle. I use anchoring cement b/c it expands as it cures, tightly securing it in place.
Make the nozzle at least 1/3 an inch thick, just for safety you dont want flaming propellant showering over you after launch.
Finding the center is very important, here is my method. Trace the outline of the pvc pipe onto cardboard. Fold it over twice to find the center, then simply stick a skewer through. Glue it in place on the bottom of the pvc pipe.
Mix the cement, pour into the pvc pipe and place in a warm area (in front of a heater works great). Stick the skewer through and hold in place while it dries. Once dry enough remove the skewer. Place mouth over the pvc pipe and blow hard, it removes little shards of cement and checks the ability of the nozzle
Once the cement is completely dry start making the fins. I hope you have checked on your fuel in the oven, that is the most important part...
Fins are all up to you, any design will work. Just have fun with them.

The body should be dry now, tape on the fins and fit the nose cone. The cone can be made/bought but make sure it is smooth light and ballanced...
Getting the fins on straight will also increase the height of the flight. But Placing the fins so the rocket spins will make it go straight and fix any issues you made in the design.

Fill the motor with the propellant. There are a few methods you can use, search for the bates grain (?) and other methods for casting propellant.
Once full, cap it off with plenty of epoxy or cement. I recomend anchoring cement again, as it expands to lock itself inplace. Tape the motor to the rocket. It should slide right into place, so tape it on as glue will melt and there are no motor securing mounts...should stay in place

I have three all set to launch, a 1/2 inch pvc a 3/4 inch pvc and a 1 inch pvc. all rockets are about the same ratio of motor to body. The motor is around 1/3 the total height of the body (no nozzle). I am expecting them to at least fly, very lightweight might be able to get 500+ outta them :)

Pics up by tonight (if the stupid camera works!!!)
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Zippiot
Antipspambot question: 0

re: 1 Hour rockets!

Post by Zippiot » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:07 am

Failure to launch!!

But donnot stress, it was cause by a bad ignition source. This plugged the throat of the nozzle.......
Well Maybe I'll just use a fuse once i drill the bugger out...
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!