primitive gas feed rocket

Moderator: Mike Everman

jack_h
Antipspambot question: 0

primitive gas feed rocket

Post by jack_h » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:22 pm

i've done my fare share of reaserch on rockets and ive come with a idea. im going to build one. im going to use oxegen and propane as my fuel and oxidiser. then im going to build my self a combuster, this is were i need some ones help.
im thinking of useing an empty welding gas bottle one of the small ones as my chamber because these bottles can hold up to several hundred PSI. aparently this is imported because rockets create alot of low speed high presure in the combustion chamber. these bottles have a valve on them which can be used to stop any back fire.
im going to drill a hole in the end which im going to weld my nozzle on to . what do you think.
Attachments
jjjj.jpg
this is a plan of my idea.
jjjj.jpg (37.43 KiB) Viewed 9457 times
LR.jpg
this is were i got my idea.
LR.jpg (29.15 KiB) Viewed 9457 times
28.gif
this is how i want mine to look when im done
28.gif (79.67 KiB) Viewed 9457 times

steve

re: primitive gas feed rocket

Post by steve » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:04 pm

If you plan to run that engine longer then 15 seconds or so, you are going to need a cooling system, or your nozzle is just going to melt away.

where do you intend to get liquid oxygen? I ask because I would also like to build a similar engine, and lack of a redily available oxidiser is the only thing holding me back at this point.

using lpg and liquid O2 is nice because they are both self pressurizing and this eliminates the need for turbopumps.

steve

Post by steve » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:15 pm

one problem I see with your design is that you are mixing the fuel and oxidiser before it enters the combustion chamber. For the love of God do not do this unless you want to die!! (a little bit of an exaggeration I know, but...)
the fuel and oxidiser should enter the CC seperately so that you don't get flames shooting up inside the fuel line.

the CC and nozzle probably cannot be made from mild steel (like the gas tank you proposed) since they will oxidise like crazy and disintegrate after several runs. you need stainless, or another metal that won't oxidise as easily- I bet even aluminium could work if you did a really good job with the cooling system.

jack_h

Post by jack_h » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:04 am

i got all my choices of fuel and and oxidisers from this web page. http://www.gramlich.net/projects/rocket/
it tells you the whole construction and problem you may come across if you are tring to build one. i checked your replies with this page and you give some prety good advice. cheers

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:44 pm

Steve advised not to combine fuel and ox in same line ........When I was in the Air Force Meny Moons ago About 20 years ago person on the flight line in Turkey was recharging LOX tanks on a plane and had a small spill of LOX.....It seems he had stepped in some JP-4 at some time and when he stepped in the boiling LOX it ignited......

He lost 3 toes over the deal.....what ignited it I don't know friction? static!

The LOX had JP-4 and Rubber to combust and it was supose to had been quite a show!!!!
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Al Belli

Post by Al Belli » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:15 pm

I would consider the use of nitrous oxide and propane for a self pressurised liquid fueled rocket engine.

Both are readily available here in the USA, and should yield a good system.

cooling may still be a problem that must be solved.

Al Belli

bob000555

Post by bob000555 » Sun May 07, 2006 9:42 pm

one way of cooling that may work BUT IV NEVER TRYED is to wrap the liguid O2 feed around the nozzile

bob000555

Post by bob000555 » Sun May 07, 2006 9:43 pm

one way to coll it that iv never tryed is to wrap the liquid o2 feed around the nozzle