cone- & pulsejet calculator

Moderator: Mike Everman

Pieter van Boven
Antipspambot question: 0

cone- & pulsejet calculator

Post by Pieter van Boven » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:50 pm

Hi,

I lost the link to the "cone" calculator program. Can somebody give me the right link again?
In wich program should I open the "pulsejetcalculator 1.4" program wich can be downloaded from this site? I can't open it.
Thanks,

Pieter.

kenneth
Site Admin

Re: cone- & pulsejet calculator

Post by kenneth » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:50 pm

Pieter van Boven wrote:Hi,

I lost the link to the "cone" calculator program. Can somebody give me the right link again?
In wich program should I open the "pulsejetcalculator 1.4" program wich can be downloaded from this site? I can't open it.
Thanks,

Pieter.
the pulsejetcalculator 1.4 is a xls fil , you have to open it with Microsoft Excel

kenneth

pablo

Post by pablo » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:26 pm

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:37 pm

Here's a good online cone calc program that also tells you how much material you'll need:

http://i-logic.com/conecalc.htm

Mike Kirney

If You've Got The Time, I've Got The Cones

Post by Mike Kirney » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:45 pm

The actual step-by-step mathematical operation is described here:

http://home.ca.inter.net/mkirney/cone.html

You don't even need electricity, let alone any kind of numerical processor, to make a cone this way. Any cone, any size, anywhere, anytime.

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:50 pm

http://www.pulserate.com/cone/download.html

This one enables angled ends and delivers a printed or dxf file output. Sorry can't remember who first posted the link. Mike perhaps? I hate not being able to give credit where it's due. I used it to mill the stainless transition from flat before rolling it up. Worked brilliantly

Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Bruno Ogorelec

Doing it on paper

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:37 am

In competition to Mike the Tundra Man, I posted this method in the forum years ago:

This is how you calculate and draw the web (skirt, mantle or whatever you care to call it) of a truncated cone:

The curve the web describes when it is unrolled over a flat surface is a part of a circle. The web itself looks like a section of a circular washer. You have to find out the two radii here and the included angle.

First, draw the side elevation of the future cone you want to make. It looks like a trapeze. Extend the sides of the trapeze until the lines intersect and you have an isosceles triangle. The entire side of the triangle will be the big radius [R] of the flattened web of the cone. The distance [r] from the apex to the top of the trapeze is the small radius.

Now calculate the circumference of the big end of the cone [L]. That will be the length of the big arc. From [L] and [R] you can calculate the angle between the straight sides of the web. You multiply [L] with 180 and divide the result by [R] x [Pi].

[Pi] is 3.14 of course. I use 3.1415926 but then, I'm a bit of exhibitionist.

The formula for the angle is:

Alpha = 180L / [R] x [Pi]

Draw a circle with radius [R]. Draw two radii at the included angle Alpha and you have the web of the full cone. Now you only have to truncate it. Draw an arc with the radius [r] over the sector you have already drawn and you have your truncation.

That's it. Roll it up and you have the thing.

Bruno

Pieter van Boven

Post by Pieter van Boven » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:17 pm

Thanks for the replies everybody! Very usefull!

Pieter.