Been wondering about fuel and weight?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Charles

Been wondering about fuel and weight?

Post by Charles » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:25 pm

Hey all,

A primary goal or man's goal for them, pulse-jets and other sorts of jet engines is mainly for use in the air, okey we also use them in other respects too. But the main one usually is the air powered flight version.

I've noticed allot of you are using in the region of 7Kg to 15Kg(30lbs?) propane tanks and some of your jets push out 1-5lbs of thrust,
are allot of you designing them to be ran on the ground then? or possibly over sea or maybe ground cushioning idea like hovercraft and things?

As I was going for air powered flight as firstly, it's a resonant pulse-jet so it's my first thought of use? I'm now wondering when I get started on the pulse-jet construction I'm going to have to UP the pulse-jet size to carry a 7kg bottle of gas or do people use the another type of gas for air-powered flight? Not sure where I could get Kerosene from either?

I've seen some of you mention LPG, Petrol(Gas in US) and other Liquid forms, what kind of storage tanks do you guys use? Make your own? As I've not come across any threads yet.

On another note, I'm trying to find some information as to the amount of fuels used, as I'm sure valveless Vs Valved would differ quite allot.

All the best,
Charlie

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Been wondering about fuel and weight?

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:51 am

First: Welcome, Charles.
Second: Dude, take a breath and slow down with the post bombardment. Answers to all of your questions will come or are to be found by searching here. ;-)

On to the question at hand. Propane is the experimenter's friend. None of us intend to use it in a flight system, though there are ways to lighten up the vessel to acceptable weight. Advantages to experimenting are several, but the main one for me is safety. It does not stick and burn. I've been in a propane fireball several times, and while I don't recommend it, at least it wasn't burning gasoline belched onto me. Delivery is a snap, we need no pumps or sophisticated nozzles with propane.
Personally, I've not moved on to liquid fueling in my 5 or so years of experimenting, mainly because I'm still not designing for flight, and for the reason that it is hard and (relatively speaking) expensive to do right.

Some guys like James and Bill Hinote have made great liquid fueling setups, but I would not recommend it to start. Nor would I recommend one of the Messerschmidt motors as a first build. A simple, known to work motor, while seemingly boring for the intrepid inventor will teach you all the finer points of fuel, spark and air. Finer points you MUST HAVE (emphasis, not yelling, ha) nailed before you have experimental ducts. You've got to get a feel for starting and removing as many known variables before you introduce more of them.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.