Material science stuff

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

Material science stuff

Post by Mark » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:04 am

I was reading in the latest Popular Mechanics of a new ceramic that can take 3800 F or for you metric people ~2,093 C. It is some ultrahigh-temperature ceramic material created by scientists at Sandia National Laboratories.

I was reading that aluminum oxide has a pretty close melting point to the above and titanium dioxide mixed with silicon carbide makes a pretty high melting point compound too though, just now though surfing the net.
I have a ruby rod used for lasers and it is mostly Al2O3. It would be neat to have a jam jar made entirely of ruby, (aluminum oxide with trace minerals for red color). Sapphire is a term used for an aluminum oxide that is any color but red for the most part. I don't know the line of demarcation when a pink sapphire "becomes" a red ruby. Perhaps some rock hound could say.
But too I don't know also if rubies or sapphires could take sudden heat without fracture the way pure silicon dioxide can. Too tired to really research my wandering thoughts.
Mark

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:40 am

Hey, Mark. Howdy from Mexico!
I was just thinking last night about aluminum oxide, which is mostly what "hard" anodize is. I imagined vacuum forming an engine out of foil and having the platers build up .015-.020" thickness. Poof! Ceramic engines while you wait! I need to look into how much aluminum thickness you need to start with... you need enough to convert to oxide.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.