Oil Pump Help Needed!

Moderator: Mike Everman

autoenthusiast24
Antipspambot question: 125

Oil Pump Help Needed!

Post by autoenthusiast24 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Hey guys. I built a small turbojet 3-4 years ago in high school. I used a powersteering pump from an 80's Ford truck powered by an electric drill. I nominated a drillman to run the pump during operation, and unfortunately all the excitement of a running jet engine in front of him ended up with a blown 100 PSI oil pressure gauge and enormous clouds of black smoke and blown oil seals in the turbo. I was foolish about it and even though I only ran it successfully once or twice I gave up. Now, I want to finish what I started.

I got a replacement turbo, what I'm looking for is a low cost, regulated oil pump that has adjustable pressure. I want it to be self run, set it and forget it kinda like those food commercials. Please help me out I'd like to have this up and running before Christmas! Whatever is tried and true for you guys on a budget.

Thanks!

autoenthusiast24

Re: Oil Pump Help Needed!

Post by autoenthusiast24 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:02 am

Anybody?

I guess I should post cliff notes my post may have been too long...

What is a cheap way to have a regulated oil pump system that's self driven? Or, what is the best bang for your buck way to have a regulated oil pump system that's self driven?

racketmotorman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by racketmotorman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:03 pm

Hi

Shurflo pump , Model 8000- 643-236 with buna seals , you will need to have some sort of pressure relief valve to vent excess flow back to the oil tank unless you incorperate some sort of accumulator in the lube system so that the inbuilt electrical pressure switch can be used ........................some guys simply use a dump valve that can be set to flow excess lube back to the tank , but as the engine warms and the lube thins this valve will need to be closed a little to maintain pressure , its crude, but it can work

Cheers
John

autoenthusiast24

Post by autoenthusiast24 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:56 pm

Would this one work?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... w={keyword}

It's quite a bit cheaper than the specific model # you gave me.. Are either of them adjustable simply? Could you give an example of a relief valve?

Here's the one I found that you suggested, is that a good price?

http://www.pumpagents.com/ShurfloPumps/ ... 3-236.html

racketmotorman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by racketmotorman » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi
Don't get the cheaper one , its seals will be affected by the lube , its designed for "water" , get the one with buna seals , that is a reasonable price .

Relief valves are generally a spring over a moving "plug" that uncovers the dump/drain when pressure exceeds the setting http://www.pyronics.com/catalog/B1801.pdf

Cheers
John