My Turbine (GT4708R)

Moderator: Mike Everman

luc
Antipspambot question: 125

My Turbine (GT4708R)

Post by luc » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:01 pm

Hello members,

Although have been limited in what I could publish for as many reasons as we can think of, I always maintain a philosophy that "You must share what you've learned" especially to the community you got it from in part.

Now that alot of these limiting factors are now gone, I will now and gladly resume my personal stuff sharing and for the next few weeks until done.

Before I start with this first one, I wish to thank our member "Racketmotoman" for the knowledge he shared for this project, him probably not only one of the most knowledgeable guy I know in DIY Turbine, but also a very generous men in terms of time and knowledge.

Thank you Racketmotorman ... This succes is also yours .. ;-)

So here it is ... My DIY Turbine built from a GT4708R Garrett Tubo. The nice think with this turbine is that it runs on liquid propane at low pressure due to a liquid propane evaporator-nozzle I've designed, so no more lack of power due to bottle freezing or liquid propane instability problems. You can literly run this medium size turbine with an upside down BBQ bottle.

Here's a movie in her early stage ...

P.S : Sound does not indicate turbine problems, but only due to cheap camera and microphone. And this movie shows 70,000 rpm (77%) although I went up to 95,000 rpm, but the camera would always freeze at high rpm and noise ... Sorry
Attachments
My Turbine (GT4708R).wmv
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 2830 times
Luc
Designer & Inventor

luc

Re: My Turbine (GT4708R)

Post by luc » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:09 pm

For the interested ones ... Here's the drawing set for my liquid propane evaporator/injector.
Attachments
Turbine (GT4708R) Injector Nozzle.zip
(279.75 KiB) Downloaded 853 times
Luc
Designer & Inventor

luc

Re: My Turbine (GT4708R) & Control System

Post by luc » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:25 pm

Now here is the same turbine, but now in a frame including a fuel & Electrical control system.

This system works under 12 VDC, the turbine rpm is set so it provide 428,000 Btu/hr (Apprx. 50,000 rpm) and the starter runs from compressed air, although you can replace the air starter with any 12 VDC Mamba electric motor.

The control panel includes an hour meter, an emergency shut-off, a "System" switch, an "Oil pump" switch, an "Arming" switch and a "Start" Button. It also has a warning light for low oil pressure, which kills the turbine if it goes On and a green light indicating iddle rpm reached.

Note that although the Iddle rpm light goes On (40,000 rpm) , the turbine keeps on spooling-up and because she is set to provide the 428,000 Btu/hr, which is at apprx. 50,000 rpm.

Now the nice thing about this starter system, is that it engaged and disengage automatically and my clutch design only has 7 parts, 3 of them being machined and the 4 other being purchased around .25$ each.

This clutch has apprx. 800 start cycle without a single failure.

Enjoy ... :-)
Attachments
My Turbine (GT4708R) & Control System.wmv
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 2808 times
Luc
Designer & Inventor

luc

Re: My Turbine (GT4708R)

Post by luc » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Now here is the starter system drawings (8 pages) including the clutch if you need one, and also the Electrical & Fuel System schematic (1 page).

One note about this schematic; Is that if you build an identical system, yours like mine was, will be as per standard CAN/CSA B149.03 and approvable and as the system you will see in the next movie was approved under that standard.

Attached are the drawings ...

Enjoy ... ;-)
Attachments
GT4708R DIY Turbine Control System.pdf
My control system design
(195.2 KiB) Downloaded 837 times
GT4708R - Starter & Clutch Assy.PDF
My clutch design
(869.1 KiB) Downloaded 911 times
Luc
Designer & Inventor

luc

Re: My Turbine (GT4708R) Final product

Post by luc » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:49 pm

Now here is the final product version for that turbine and as shown in this movie.

This was destined to become GLC's next "PHS" system. Although we made descent sales with the previous version, the market wanted ;

1) An enclosed system, so no burner would close to the operators.
2) Less noisy system, for the previous one was between 108 and 115 dbA, and this one was 94 at 1 meter.
3) Less intense heat, where this one only goes to 425°F instead of 1700 to 2000°F like the previous one.
4) And still, a fully autonomous and deployable unit, which I beleive I have succeded in doing.

Unfortunately, the company went "Tits-up" before the S-PHS got to market.

So you see ... "Nothing happen for nothing in life" ... GLC going down allowing that today you guys can benefit from it ... he he he ... ;-)

Enjoy ... ;-)
Attachments
S-PHS (12 VDC - 425,000S Btu-hr).wmv
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 2799 times
Luc
Designer & Inventor

luc

Re: My Turbine (GT4708R) Full drawings set

Post by luc » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:05 pm

And finally ... Here is the full drawing set for what you saw above, and I just hope some of you members will have it easier and alot of fun building it if you ever choose too.

Note : This drawing set does not include the starter clutch and control system schematic already above, and does not include the S-PHS Frame since I did not think it was relevant. If you still want it, just let me know and I will see what I can do.

Mike, you can take all the above, movies and drawings, and put it under you "Jet engine" link, for I always taugh this one was quite limited in the information it provides, especially as for schematic are concerns. It sure did'nt help me anyway ... ;-)

Hope you enjoyed ... ;-)

Next topic to come ... My Chinese, my Pulse-Jet and all drawing sets ...
Attachments
GT4708R Turbine Full Drawing Set.zip
Luc's DIY Turbine Drawing Set
(1.68 MiB) Downloaded 1012 times
Luc
Designer & Inventor