sorry to ask but...

Moderator: Mike Everman

thecheat
Antipspambot question: 0

sorry to ask but...

Post by thecheat » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:55 pm

Hey, well I've been doing some research on "supercharger jets" unfortunatly I've been having one heck of a time finding anything even resembling a plan! I'd just like to ask if anyone knows where I should look. I don't have anything specific in mind YET but looking over plans can help a GREAT deal.

(I've been over to the DIYturbines group already, good info but still no plans)

I don't want to bug so I'll stop there.
Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!

marksteamnz

re: sorry to ask but...

Post by marksteamnz » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:44 pm

If you have a turbo charger, what parts of the advice in the FAQ's and the combustor sizing program/files at DIY GT's is giving you problems?
Last edited by marksteamnz on Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

pezman

Wave Rotor?

Post by pezman » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:07 pm

Are you talking about Comprex type superchargers? There are some papers online about using wave rotors to ehhance turbine efficiency.

Incidentally, there is a recent US patent, 6,845,620, that describes a wave rotor pulse detonation engine (also an earlier, related patent 6,460,342).

I didn't read the whole thing in detail, but it seems that the patent may be based solely on a simulation rather than an actual working device.

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: Wave Rotor?

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:24 pm

pezman wrote:Are you talking about Comprex type superchargers? There are some papers online about using wave rotors to ehhance turbine efficiency.

Incidentally, there is a recent US patent, 6,845,620, that describes a wave rotor pulse detonation engine (also an earlier, related patent 6,460,342).

I didn't read the whole thing in detail, but it seems that the patent may be based solely on a simulation rather than an actual working device.
Ah, wave rotors... one of the famous lost causes of aerospace industry.

You don't even have to go all the way to pulse detonation to hit a barrier. Not even pulse-deflagration-based engines managed to work at all well in real life. They had wonderful performance -- while they lasted, which wasn't very long.

Much fresh materials science will have to be absorbed before we see a practical wave rotor engine. More's the pity, as the technology is otherwise quite accessible. There's nothing new to invent. It's just that no one knows what to make the pesky rotors out of. The only material that really works is unobtainium.

I have no idea why no one is developing pulse combustor turbojets instead. Maybe they are not as elegant as wave rotors, but they can at least be built and used.