Gluhareff 130R power failure issue still open ... Any Idear?

Moderator: Mike Everman

luc
Antipspambot question: 125

130R Power Failure

Post by luc » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:35 pm

Okeyyyy... Guys,

Here they are ... The new LPDV Coils ... Ta da daaaa.

Look how stable they look like. On the picture, they are OFF the Jig and no spring back and look how concentric they look. I think that annealing prior to assembly will be an improtant aspect of the 2004 Pressurejet generation.

Because, when coils distorsion occure while using Eugene method, your only way out is to cut the engine open and try to straithen them up. Not will the ones you see there.

They have been anneal at 1500°F and maitained there for 30 minutes.
In our annealing tech book, it is writen that annealing SST-321, will inscrease is flexibility while also increasing is durability.

Also, Patrick showed me the preliminary installation and the coils run nice and smooth around the C/C, no stress, with equal spacing. I also beleive that with this configuration, each coils will have equal energy. Also, each propane cells from each coils will enter at the same time at the back of the coils, going forward toward higher temp. at the same time and should exit the coils, by the 2in1 Patrick adaptor, almost at the same time with the same amount of energy.

Hoooo ... and each coils are 5-3/4 turns. So we gain 3/4 turns by 2 coils ... 1-1/2 turn.

So... there it is ... The new generation LPDV Coils.

He he he

Cya,

Luc
Attachments
LPDV Coils & Jig.JPG
(165.68 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
LPDV Coils.JPG
(180.11 KiB) Downloaded 437 times

Viv

New coils

Post by Viv » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:43 am

The coils look brilliant Luc, and almost another turn! it does not sound a lot but that adds up to more than just a bit of surface area:-)

The complete design looks so much better than the original one, I cant for the life of me understand why he went down the road with his coils and manifolds that way?, I should point out that I do like to understand why something was done a particular way.

I will be looking forward to the the test results as soon as the engine is fired up!

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Dave
Antipspambot question: 0

New Coils

Post by Dave » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:00 pm

Guys:

I do like the look of the new coils so far. More stability because of the construction method, longer coils for more heat transfer, less complex plumbing… So far the wish list is going well. Now if we can just keep them from singing for a while we have a chance of seeing what this thing can do.

In an earlier post, I believe Viv mentioned putting crinkles in the damping straps. After thinking about that for a while I believe he has something there. Crinkles would allow for much more surface area of the strap to be in contact with the coils. This additional surface contact should result in less stress on the coils and would provide greater cooling of the strap. While the crinkles may have to come later, you might want to consider rounding the edges of the strap so they do not dig into the coil and using extra long bolts for now. By letting the bolts extend out from the sides of the engine they should dissipate more heat and may last longer as a result.

It would be nice to eliminate the coil issue all together so I am very interested in seeing your draft of the annular C/C. Hopefully you have found a way to deal with the differing rates of expansion between the combustion chamber side and the outer shell………….. OK….. a picture just came to mind……. Now let’s see if we are on the same track…. Looking forward to seeing your draft….

Thanks for posting the pictures so far. We look forward to seeing more as you progress. As you know, this is as close as we get to being there and we appreciate the extra effort and time it takes to keep us in the loop. Best of luck!

Dave

Viv

Re: New Coils

Post by Viv » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:23 pm

Dave wrote:Guys:

I do like the look of the new coils so far. More stability because of the construction method, longer coils for more heat transfer, less complex plumbing… So far the wish list is going well. Now if we can just keep them from singing for a while we have a chance of seeing what this thing can do.

In an earlier post, I believe Viv mentioned putting crinkles in the damping straps. After thinking about that for a while I believe he has something there. Crinkles would allow for much more surface area of the strap to be in contact with the coils. This additional surface contact should result in less stress on the coils and would provide greater cooling of the strap. While the crinkles may have to come later, you might want to consider rounding the edges of the strap so they do not dig into the coil and using extra long bolts for now. By letting the bolts extend out from the sides of the engine they should dissipate more heat and may last longer as a result.

It would be nice to eliminate the coil issue all together so I am very interested in seeing your draft of the annular C/C. Hopefully you have found a way to deal with the differing rates of expansion between the combustion chamber side and the outer shell………….. OK….. a picture just came to mind……. Now let’s see if we are on the same track…. Looking forward to seeing your draft….

Thanks for posting the pictures so far. We look forward to seeing more as you progress. As you know, this is as close as we get to being there and we appreciate the extra effort and time it takes to keep us in the loop. Best of luck!

Dave
Longer bolts! now thats a nice peace of lateral thinking, I like that:-)

I just hope it all works as planed! fingers crossed:-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Dave

Misc items

Post by Dave » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:36 pm

Luc, I almost forgot to ask about the flex hose to decouple the coils from the injection nozzle. Any luck finding one and if so, any chance of it making it into this build of the engine?

Viv, snow. You had to ask about snow..... It just started again and they say we could get another foot of the white stuff today. It sure would be easier to take with a couple of million BTUs an hour to keep us warm. Yes, you guessed it.... just wishing I could be there for the next round of tests.

Dave

Viv

Re: Misc items

Post by Viv » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:06 pm

Dave wrote:Luc, I almost forgot to ask about the flex hose to decouple the coils from the injection nozzle. Any luck finding one and if so, any chance of it making it into this build of the engine?

Viv, snow. You had to ask about snow..... It just started again and they say we could get another foot of the white stuff today. It sure would be easier to take with a couple of million BTUs an hour to keep us warm. Yes, you guessed it.... just wishing I could be there for the next round of tests.

Dave
Yes me too Dave:-) sorry about all the snow referances I just found this new pastime and I am hooked! and bruesed and sore:-)

If there wa a cheap flight this week I would be very tempted.

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

luc

130R Power failure

Post by luc » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:09 pm

Hi Guys,

Dave Wrote :
Luc, I almost forgot to ask about the flex hose to decouple the coils from the injection nozzle. Any luck finding one and if so, any chance of it making it into this build of the engine?
Dave ... I have found the hose, but I won't incorporate it until we ran this new coils version first. One rule of thumb Dave ... Is when you design and test something, don't make to many changes at the same time ... Because If it does work anymore, you won't be able to tell were it is coming from ... One step at the time ... Budy.

Here now ... Have a look at the nice thing I have drafted you ... Guys. And as you can see, it is not that difficult to do. Take 2 stainless steel cylinder, one bigger then the other, 1 single turn coiled tube that as been cut in 1/2 on a band saw and weld everything together.

You will get ... Ta da daaaaaaaa.

If some of you happens to think .... "This guy is brillant" I would have to admit ... That sometime, lighting strikes ... He he he ... That a Joke.
You can find this if you know a little bit about Annular Combustion chamber.

Hope you Like it ...

Cya,

Luc
Attachments
Inside Annular.zip
(99.93 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
Middle Annular.zip
(78.66 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Annular Chamber.zip
(31.85 KiB) Downloaded 410 times
Last edited by luc on Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:38 pm

The only problem I see with that is that the inner wall becomes a buckling problem, and not a straight-forward burst calculation for the pressures involved. At least it will be nice and cool, but the inner wall will need to be substantially thicker than the outer. With the diameters you are at, it will not take a lot of pressure to buckle the inner wall. That's my $.02
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Dave

Snow and Annular Combustion chambers

Post by Dave » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:35 pm

Viv - When I first read your posting I thought your new pastime was pressure jet engines, and then I got it. You were talking about snow! Obviously you are like I WAS, a snow virgin. Growing up where there is seldom any of the stuff you think it is cool and the feeling even stays that way for a few years after you have to live with it. Ahhhhh, the joy of a new snow shovel, the interesting pictures you send home of how your mail box looks after you dig a tunnel to it, the sense of accomplishment when you get your first gasoline powered snow blower…. Well buddy here is a dose of reality for you from an X-Snow virgin. Snow is like money, it is always better when it belongs to someone else and you are just there to play with it. OK, I must admit, I do still feel passionate about it sometimes. Just the other day I finished an hour long session with my driveway and,,,, there it was,,,, the village snow plow,,,,. When the guy driving it down the middle of the street smiled as he pushed two feet of nicely packed snow into the end of my freshly cleaned driveway,,,, I felt passion all right…. “hooked! and bruised and sore:-)â€

Viv

Re: Snow and Annular Combustion chambers

Post by Viv » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:51 pm

[quote="Dave"]Viv - When I first read your posting I thought your new pastime was pressure jet engines, and then I got it. You were talking about snow! Obviously you are like I WAS, a snow virgin. Growing up where there is seldom any of the stuff you think it is cool and the feeling even stays that way for a few years after you have to live with it. Ahhhhh, the joy of a new snow shovel, the interesting pictures you send home of how your mail box looks after you dig a tunnel to it, the sense of accomplishment when you get your first gasoline powered snow blower…. Well buddy here is a dose of reality for you from an X-Snow virgin. Snow is like money, it is always better when it belongs to someone else and you are just there to play with it. OK, I must admit, I do still feel passionate about it sometimes. Just the other day I finished an hour long session with my driveway and,,,, there it was,,,, the village snow plow,,,,. When the guy driving it down the middle of the street smiled as he pushed two feet of nicely packed snow into the end of my freshly cleaned driveway,,,, I felt passion all right…. “hooked! and bruised and sore:-)â€

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Viv

New coil test

Post by Viv » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:39 pm

Well we are just waiting! thats all, just waiting for Patrick to finish putting the engine back together with the new coils.

So i am hoping to see a test run today:-)

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

luc

130R Power Failure

Post by luc » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:25 pm

Hooooo... wellll.

Lesson # 531.

Don't silver braze the coils. It won't stand the heat, even if silver brazing is rated to melt at 1500 °F.

We tried it ... To spare the coils at the adaptor transition, considering they are only .020" thick.

Did'nt take long ... At warm-up ... The brazing failed ... And back to the shop we were.

I hope we can run again to day...Patrick is fixing it now.

Heyyy ... We know now .... NO BRAZING.

HEYYYYYYYYY ... No bitching ... We tried it ... end of the line.

Especialy you .... Mister VIV.

He he he ....

Qaplaaaaaaaaaaa

Luc .....Out

Viv

Post by Viv » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:53 pm

Oh hey far be it for me to comment after all i am still going to classes to learnt to weld what do i know!

Viv:-)

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

luc

130R Power Failure

Post by luc » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:44 pm

Okeyyyy guys,

Total Bomber ... We tried, tried and tried ... But pushing Patrick only prooved to be wrong ... Were he punched the coils. he did the best he could, considering the pressure I putted on him. So, we have to cut the adaptor open and weld by the inside.

This adaptor is good, but the 2 insertion tubes are to close together, not alowing enough place for the welder to properly weld. The next one will have enough space between each insertion tubes.

But that will be an easy fix .... Tomorrow.

Remember ... My goal is not only the punch the secrest of that engine, it is also to make available to build, for everyone. That why we tried the silver brazing ... And we paied the price of that trial out, pushed back one more day.

So ... I guess I will go make love to my girl friend, all night long, while you guys eat your nails OFF ... He he he.

Bye the way ... Can some one get me Kenneth ... I have a request for him.

Sorry guys ... We fucked-up on that one ... He he he.

Good night

"T" .... Minus 15 hours to go now.

Qaplaaaaaaaa

Luc ....Out

Viv

Post by Viv » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:47 pm

Oh thats nice now isn't it! go home and ruing her day as well as ours!

Viv:-)

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire