My G8-2-20

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mr. Yuk
Antipspambot question: 0

My G8-2-20

Post by Mr. Yuk » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:35 am

When I was 14, I stumbled upon the plans for the 20lb. Gluhareff Pressure Jet on UnitedNuclear.com. My main interest was pyrotechnics and rocketry at the time, but I couldn't not help but buying the plans for $20. http://www.unitednuclear.com/jetplans.htm

After some more research I began construction of a crude jet. My welding and sheet metal skills were lacking. I never finished that jet because of problems with welding the heat exchanger coil. I became discouraged and took a break and resorted to several of my other hobbies at the time.

Before I even got to the heat exchanger coil, the local newspaper did a very nice article on the cart and myself. Although the mixed up some terms and facts it is still fun to read. I have the article scanned onto my computer but it is like 15megs.

The next year, I started up the project again (I am now 16). With the proper materials and more experience in sheet metal fabrication I was able to do it right, or at least, to the best of my ability. Damn that stainless is hard to work with... The hardest parts of the G8-2 are definitely the nosecone, and installing the heat exchanger coil. I'll whip out the whole 3-stage intake and diffuser assembly in a day but forget that coil.

One tip if you plan on building the G8-2, unless you are a master tig welder, use stainless compression fitting for the coil and fuel system.

The nosecone.... ah, yes, the nosecone. I attempted to spin the nosecone on the lathe, which I found nearly impossible with the type of S.S. sheet metal I was using without heat. With my setup, I was not will to use the torch and the lathe at the same time. After several different methods of trying to fabricate the cone, I said "What the hell", and I shelled out $105 for a professional one directly from Irina Gluhareff.

The next day Irina contacted me and told me that her supplier was backed up, unfortunately. But talking with Irina will be worth the wait. She sounded surprised that someone actually bought one, and delighted when she learned that my jet was complete with the exception of the nosecone. She is a very nice woman and it was a honor to speak with her. I look forward to talking with her in the future.

Below are the pictures of my jet, and the go-cart. I read through all of the pressure jet threads here lightly. I would appreciate any input or advice. Thanks!

http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/album_ ... _id=100013

Mr. Yuk

Re: My G8-2-20

Post by Mr. Yuk » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:49 am

mr. Yuk,
i had just unrolled my G8-2-20 prints on the living room floor engouraged by Luc and Viv to re-explore them.
i never built them because of all the compound curves to work up and i heard from many that there was a bug in the plans that lent low thrust.
now i see the nice job you have done! you shall become Sir Yuk in the knighthood of pressure jet folk soon. please share with us the metal flaring and forming of all those curves someday.
i have to respond to all that are wondering how my old engines ran with just hand tossing over the rotor blades, hope you are all reading. no my engines did not fill the job or i'd still have em but they brought the rotors up to a good speed. as i remember it was like over 150 rpm. with full drag attack (there's one problem). some possible explaination of this might help.
my first engines ran on propane. there was of course 100psi available and i used a heat expansion coil in each to bump up and vaporize a'la Ghluey. missing was a fuel regulator to keep every thing from backing up (problem two).
the fuel nozzle and inlet diffuser were somewhat aerodynamically tuned so the the fuel spray pulled in the air right from the get go. might be part of my success? there was no flame lock device in the plans (problem three) that long pulsejet type tail was not needed because it was more of a ram jet (problem four) so we cut them off. worked just as well.
them suckers did get real hot but somehow did not harm my spruce core composit blades. who knew? i have a good plan for heat isolation next time anyway.
Yuk, keep talking to everybody and we will make that G-8 work.
all the best to everyone and keep up the joined effort,
chris
That was Chris's reply to my complement in his copter thread. There was some useful info there and I thought it could help all of us, and I didn't want him to have to re-post it.

Anyway.... :)

Luc & Viv, I see you are conducting some very extensive R&D on the Gluey, as Chris mentioned, would you be willing to share some ideas and possible modifications that I could make to the current design to improve performance? Any help would beGREATLY appreciated.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:57 pm

Dear Mr. Yuk,

I wich I had been able to go that far when I was 16. Quite impressive. Mark Thixis will love the crescent-behind-gingko-tree background on the left photo. Lends a special mood to the scene.

Please keep us posted on developments. Let us see the engine when it gets the cone installed.

mk

Post by mk » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:09 pm

Oh my God!!!

You got my respect for your Gluey-work!
Also considering the fact you're 16!

Nice work.
mk

Mr. Yuk

Post by Mr. Yuk » Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:57 am

Thanks Bruno and mk!

Has anyone experimented with supercharging a gluey? If so, what kind of increase in thrust did you notice? That is, if you you have the propper setup for measuring thrust. ...Perhaps a question for Luc & Viv. hehe

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:44 pm

M.Y.,

Very nice work!

You remind me of my boyhood hero, Tom Swift, Jr.

[img]http://www.brads.net/forrestde/ForumPosts/ts1-30%.png[/img]

-fde

Mr. Yuk

Post by Mr. Yuk » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:08 am

Tom Swift aye? :) Thanks!

I just TIG welded my stainless tailpipe on and started hammering and rolling the cone for the heck of it...getting bored waiting for the completed cone to come in. I am doing it in two peices working between the english wheel, planishing hammer, and hammer bag. One step closer anyway. I also cant wait for Luc & Viv to finish their project...

luc
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by luc » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:58 pm

Hi Yuk,
Has anyone experimented with supercharging a gluey? If so, what kind of increase in thrust did you notice? That is, if you you have the propper setup for measuring thrust. ...Perhaps a question for Luc & Viv. hehe
Yes ... I have tried supercharging a 130R, but at the time when I did it my instrumentation was poor and I could not measure the thrust at that time. But one thing I could measure was SFC and supercharging the engine does not improve SFC. I guess it only changed the thrust but I could not measure at the time.

As far as thrust measuring is concern, for that matter, I have made numerous mistake before realizing what was wrong. Now that I know, I can clearly say to you that unless you are ready to spend a FEW $1000, don't get into this. The instrumentation required to measure thrust on those engines is quite impressive and expensive.

Mr. Yuk ... Viv and I are watching your progress, but we are not ready to involve our self at the moment because of the work load we have.

Be patient ... It will come very soon.

Cya,

Luc
Luc
Designer & Inventor

Mr. Yuk

Post by Mr. Yuk » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:34 pm

Thanks for your reply.

The thrust measuring rig I an working on is very crude, as I don't have the money that I'm sure it would cost like you said to build a decent setup.
I have now finished reading the 130R power failure thread and I gained a lot of valuable information. Thanks guys for all the work and info you put out there.
I have started on a telescoping intake stack to tune the 2nd and 3rd stages. It will not be a 5 axis rig though...
I welded on the tailpipe and and the spark plug boss. I am also ordering more tube to make the the fuel nozzle 180 degree turn out of two 90*s , instead of a radius in order to prevent, from what I learned, thermal expansion of the propane on more than two axisis.
I'll post some pics when I can take a few. Thanks again guys!

luc

Post by luc » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:23 pm

Hi again Mr. Yuk,

Good thing that you have read the "130R power failure" thread. As you have noticed, there is alot in that thread which will show around few problems Viv and I have found. Especially the one about the nozzle feed line radius. When I saw the pictures of your engine, I said to myself ... "Hoooo ... This boy is in alot of trouble".

As for the 5 axis adjustment intake ... This is a MUST ... If you want to tune this engine. If you go around this one, you will run into ALOT of strugling.

As I said it before, Viv and I are only a few weeks from being operational and I as said it before, I recomend that you be patient. Viv and I will soon offert pressure jet tuning services.

Realize one thing Mr. Yuk ... Not all of the pressure jet secrets are in that 130R power failure thread, where we want to protect what we have found against unscrupulous mind. This mean that even if you implement all you have read in that thread, you are still bound to failure or partial performances.

So ... Build your engine as perfectly as you can and don't be sloppy with details and precision. Then, when we will be ready, Viv and I will make sure you achieve success.

Hoooo ... And by the way. Looking at your engine, I can recommend that you go easy with that hamer of yours. Dents, bumps and out of shape section is a critical aspect of this engine.

There is alot applicable theories in this engine that peoples don't understand yet. It is like a puzzle. When you know all the peices ... It is quite easy to achieve. But if your missing only one peice ... That it ... Your out of the game. I found out all this ... To my own expences, time and fuel.

But keep on going ... We are watching you ... Even if we are very quiet at this time.

Regards,

Luc
Luc
Designer & Inventor

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:07 am

Here you go Mr Yuk this is the picture of the spinning jig that your new nose cone will be spun on:-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mr. Yuk

Post by Mr. Yuk » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:26 pm

Nice work! That must have taken forever to turn down. It is stainless right? I can't wait!!!

luc

Post by luc » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:02 pm

Greetings M. Yuk,
Mr. Yuk wrote:Nice work! That must have taken forever to turn down. It is stainless right? I can't wait!!!
Nope ... It is actually done out of a 1045 steel bar.

Cya,

Luc
Luc
Designer & Inventor

luc

re: My G8-2-20

Post by luc » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:32 pm

Here M. Yuk,

Look at the nice picture.

You can actually see my Beautiful self, along with your Cone, Free SST-321 metal strip and your CD with your chosen Free set of plans for the 20 pounds pressure jet.

All this well packaged and ready to go.

Now, considering we had a few days of delais doing your order and your patience, I will personally ship your package tomorrow, via priority mail, so you can get it ASAP. Is'nt that good customer service?

Now, as you all can see ....

WE ... Manufacture and DELIVER.

Best regards to you all,

Luc
Attachments
M Yuk Package.jpg
(118.9 KiB) Downloaded 1418 times
Luc
Designer & Inventor

Bruno Ogorelec

re: My G8-2-20

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:42 pm

Luc and Viv,

I know you are not in the position to spend money on fun right now, but neither am I. My business has been in a gentle dive for far longer than I care to remember now.

You should really come south to sunny California and join the fun over the first weekend of May. Look, I'm flying over from the other side of the planet -- you must be quite a bit closer than I am (and cheaper to fly).

Bring along a flat-pack and we'll put one of your engines together while it's filmed for a TV documentary -- what better advertising can you have?

(Well, perhaps you can build a $500.- cruise missile. Now, there's an idea...)

I want to hear the BCVP story from Viv face to face, in gory detail, over beer (or a good California red). We all want to hear about your plans etc. You are fun people. You'll be right at home there.