Yahoo Groups

Moderator: Mike Everman

Zippiot
Antipspambot question: 0

Yahoo Groups

Post by Zippiot » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:37 am

I noticed there is no yahoo group for ramjets!?!

I would like someone (or I can do it but my typing issues wouldn't make me the best candidate) to start it, seems like a good idea right?

kinda related:

I have almost finished my new ramjet design, it will be contained inside of a tiny soup can. This seems to be the best way b/c It is quite hard to get enough airflow to sustain high fuel guzzling ramjets. Airspeed is no issue, I have a nozzle for my giant shop-vac that can sustain over 400 mph winds, so a small ramjet, while harder to engineer and sustain, will get the biggest use of all the air and wont be starved. Pretty much this is how it works (I'm trying my best to describe it bear with me)

There is an aluminum cone sticking out the front. The cone is threaded on the end, and a hollow piece of steel attatched to that. The steel is capped off and a few small holes are drilled. This is how the fuel is dispersed. A fuel line will run inside of the steel pipe, supplying it with fuel. On the end of the pipe (after the fuel delivery holes) is a tiny cup full of holes to act as a little flame holder. At the point where the cone screws into the steel, there will be another type of flameholder. this is a sheet of metal that has slots cut out of it. These slots let the air by but slow it down first (the metal is also sloped to promote airflow). then into the combustion chamber where it mixes with the fuel (liquid) squirted in, and burns its way out the back. Sound reasonable?
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Yahoo Groups

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:35 am

Zippiot wrote:I noticed there is no yahoo group for ramjets!?
Frankly, I don't think there's that much interest in ramjets around. They are just not practical enough. I mean, what the hell can you do with a ramjet?

OK, here's some eye candy. A Russian ramjet-rotor personal helicopter from '56. A very nice job, too. The caption said 'pulsejet' but the engine on the rotor tip sure doesn't look like a pulsejet to me.
Attachments
56_vikhr_tipjet.jpg
56_vikhr_tipjet.jpg (32.74 KiB) Viewed 3534 times