Moderator: Mike Everman

RC Man
Antipspambot question: 125

Building Larry Cottrill's 'Lady Anne Boleyn' rev 06

Post by RC Man » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi yall,
I was just wanting to try a PJ motor, and I stumbled across Larry's Idea,
I am a Prototype maker, and looked at this as a challenge for me,

So, why not build a motor from him, and make him Proud. It is the Lady Anne Boleyn 06 from Larry himself.
I just started this project last week, and wanted to show some pics, and maybe get these people back into Pulsejets again. (Or just get them back in here) :D

I am doing my best at building this motor, using the best materials, and techniques in forming His motor, I dont know how much Thrust it will make, and I havent found any Thrust figures on it either, but it should do some serious Power in the Thrust area, in my eyes, as it looks like serious business.

So, on to the pics.
Attachments
Paper Layout.JPG
Transfered to metal.JPG
Rolled up.JPG
Cones welded.JPG

RC Man

Re: Building Larry Cottrill's 'Lady Anne Boleyn' rev 06

Post by RC Man » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:47 pm

NO Comments ?

Cool, Nobody left,

I worked today on my Lockwood
Made a few pics, and am puttin them in here.

Frank
Attachments
IMG_1353.JPG
IMG_1352.JPG
IMG_1351.JPG

metiz

Post by metiz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:57 am

nice looking engine. For future reference, try adding a small cone between the cc and exhaust. This will "coax" the gasses to go out the tailpipe instead of the intake.
Quantify the world.

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:51 am

metiz wrote:nice looking engine. For future reference, try adding a small cone between the cc and exhaust. This will "coax" the gasses to go out the tailpipe instead of the intake.
Hi man,I have a cone on it (ball shaped), its inside the cc, it didnt come out lookin nice enough to weld it to the outside, so I put it inside :D Lengthened the cc also.
It poops and grumbles, but thats cause my gas bottle is about empty. Wants to run though.

gettylee

Post by gettylee » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:38 am

Nice job on the lady Anne Boleyn, I've been wanting to build it, I built the hpx on successful hpx plan,its very similar" I run it often! I really want to get these style engines to run on liquid fuels, I've tryed so many ways!!! With no success, if you find a way? Please share,:)

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:49 am

Hi Getty,
LOL, Liquid Fuel ? I would like to just get 1 running, lol
Workin on it, If I get to Liquid Fueling 1, I definitely will post all I know about doing it.

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:57 pm

The Lockwood runs now, The one I posted, PiroJoe helped me on that one. Good dude there.

Metiz , the cone helped a lot!!!!!!! It runs now :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

So my next one will be the Lady Anne, just have to finish it, I wanted to have a running PJ to start with first, and now I have it. :D :D :D
The vid
http://youtu.be/YEU9_sZdybE
Liquid fuel ? How would Nitromethane do ?
87% nitromethane and 13% alc. BOOM. LOL
Last edited by RC Man on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chook
Location: Esperance, on the south east coast of Western Australia

Post by Chook » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Very well done. Nice work on the 180 degree bend in particular.

One down one to go. :D

You are now officially addicted!!!!! :lol:

ski

Post by ski » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:02 am

That is a nice looking lockwood pulse ,What type of vehicle is it for ? or is it for static fun only ,would you mind letting me Know the dia /measurements you used ,this will be a good starting point for my first pulse build for a R/C drag car ,is that a lighter next to it in the picture coz if it is the scale of the pulse would be ideal ,any help from you would be appreciated .
Thanks Ski

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:23 pm

Man, Has it been a while.
Ive not even fooled with the pulse jet in about a year (had a stroke) Looked in the garage today, and saw it sitting there under my workbench,(The Lockwood) WOW, I totally forgot about it (kind of)
Looked over the whole thing and worked out the formulas again, made some injectors, reworked the intake some, and got out the bottle of Propane.
Messed with some different sizes of injectors, and hit it right on the head on the second try using a Rossco. Ive had it in the past rumbling and almost started, but to no avail.
Today was the BIG one. It was rumbling, and I had my DB Meter behind it, 100 DB on rumbling, than opened the bottle a bit more, and WHAM, It went to over 120 in a sec.
Almost schitt my pants, (I didnt expect that).
Making a vid tomorrow, Posting on here is a have to do after all the help here in this forum.

The Lady Anne will have to go on the back burner for now, but wont be forgotten, Ive had it rumbling too, but now I have to get this LW vid done.. :D
This thing starts with no air, Just light it up and off it goes.
I guess Ive found the sweet spot on it, as Ive always had to use air to start it before, but not now.

This was my FIRST Pulse Jet, and the Lady Anne is my second one, The Lady Anne wasnt even running, and it was loud, wait till She RUNS. :twisted:
It would ring after running at a rumble, and the neighbors came by to see what was going on in my garage, LOL, Whats that ? They said. I told them, Pulse Jets Yall.

Vid is coming.
Edit/ VID Uploaded
View My Video
Frank

metiz

Post by metiz » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:19 pm

Nice job, runs like a champ!
Quantify the world.

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:57 pm

Glad to hear ya say that, just couldnt let it go to long, neighbors were at home :cry:
Maybe tomorrow Ill have better luck, finally getting something like this to work, and understanding why it does work
is a big relief, Ive been puffing air through it for so long, I didnt ever think it would go.
Than just tried something, and it ran with no air. I have to let it run longer and see if it will make me deaf, Ha, wat ya say? :mrgreen:
Will do another longer vid if possible.

Hows your motors doing? Lady Anne just wont fire up good, will have to look at the plans again.

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:41 pm

Well, The Lady Anne aint such a lady after all, It almost made me deaf, It dont run yet, but the thing sounded like a M16 on steroids.
Banging real fast, kind of a LOUD crackling kind of tone, Chamber got hot, as a matter of fact, the whole thing was hot, but the chamber was red first.
That means its burning right, isnt it?
Wont do anything but pop without air, add air and gas, and it starts to do the M16 thing.
Maybe Ill have to open up the injector some, but if I do it now, Ill catch all hell.

Today, after testing, there was a Helicopter over my neighbors house, cops lookin for something, Hope not me,
But only running for a coupla sec. shouldnt bother anyone. They would tell me first.
I have the injector (rossco) deep in the throat, almost in the chamber. Tune that a bit I guess.

Frank