Flame Hurricane

Moderator: Mike Everman

cudabean

Flame Hurricane

Post by cudabean » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:48 am

Hey Kids!

Impress EVERYBODY in your neighborhood, even that crotchety old Mr. Snell, with your very own Flame Hurricane!

The Flame Hurricane is a highly magnified version of the Flame Tornado featured in several SRL shows (and conceived by Kevin Binkert). It utilizes five LOUD 150 LB thrust Pulsejet engines and a system of 8 by 8 foot louvers arranged in a 45 ft circle to produce a rapidly rotating column of hot, high velocity hurricane like wind. Gasoline is injected into this swirling vortex of hot air at a pressure of 1000 psi and a flow of 1.5 gallons per second, producing a flaming layer on the exterior of the rotating air column. Powerful fuel vapor explosions are a distinct possibility.

Finally something fun and useful for those five 150 lb lockys you've got lying around collecting dust.

http://srl.org/machines/flamehurricane/

cudabean

Nick
Antipspambot question: 0

Flame hurracaine

Post by Nick » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:39 am

nice!, I'm looking forward to the video of this,mmm could have started your own entertainment niche here.

Nick

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:49 am

Looking at the video on that page it's pretty obvious that they've split the tailpipe in two places. This shows up when they try to restart it.

At about 1:08 (on the quicktime vid) you can see a puff of flame come from the top of the U-bend.

Then at about 1:15 you can see flames come from behind the tailpipe cone.

From 1:35 onwards you can see them pointing at where the split obviously is.

By the way, I was talking (via email) with Mark Pauline today and he said they were actually getting about 87-90 lbs of thrust with augmentors on the intake and exhaust -- so I don't know where they get that 150lbs figure from on the website -- unless they're talking about a much bigger version of the Lockwood than that shown in the vid.

Nick

flames

Post by Nick » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:26 am

looks like you are right there Bruce, what were they using to start it do you think, looked like maybe a squirt of O2 like gary uses, or perhaps just compressed air?

Nick

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:17 pm

if you look in the old forum (guessing the valveless) there has been a big discussion about this already awhile back!

Stephen

Pieter van Boven

Post by Pieter van Boven » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:44 pm

Would it be possible to run these five LH-engines on just one bottle of propane as shown in the picture? Would a standard reduce valve, wich is normaly used on these kind of botlles, be able to feed these 5 engines at the same time?

http://srl.org/machines/flamehurricane/flameh1.jpg

Pieter.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:07 pm

Most likely not. Virtually all liquid-draw propane tanks have something called an "excess-flow valve" (EFV).

This valve is a safety device designed to stop or slow the flow of propane in the event that a fuel line is cut.

I've already encountered problems with the 200lbs engine and a 100lbs liquid-draw propane tanke where occasionally the EFV will trip and the engine will drop to a low idle.

If I want more power I'm going to have to use mutliple propane tanks.