Post by Johansson » Thu May 17, 2007 4:45 pm

Attachments
Cart_side.jpg
Cart_side.jpg (91.13 KiB) Viewed 10503 times

adam
Antipspambot question: 0
Location: california is home town but currently in new mexico

Post by adam » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:59 pm

hey whats up that gokart is really bad ass, looks like you really are a perfectionist type, nice work! well how fast do you think that jet turbine gokart will go with the afterburner running as well and how much thrust do you estimate the engine produces?

Jim Berquist

Bat kart, Jet Zooming type of things

Post by Jim Berquist » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:11 pm

Adam: What up with your kart? Did you see the Rebuild thred?

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:27 pm

...looks like you really are a perfectionist type...
Mpfhhh! (trying not to laugh)

Seriously, I am far from a perfectionist as you can see on the build pics in the project thread. I am more interested in the actual building and to find out how it runs than polishing and fine tuning, if it looks ok on a distance then I am satisfied.

I haven´t started the gocart this year, but a very crude thrust measurement was made last year on a gravel road where I got 16 kg thrust with the afterburner lit. If I made the test on a concrete floor with the engine running a bit higher in revs 20 kg would have been possible.

After some thinking I have decided not to road test it as it is too dangerous on the roads around here, and I haven´t got time to take it to the nearest airstrip 200 km away just to drive it so unless someone is interested in buying it I will take it apart and put the chassi away in the shed to free some floor space in the garage.

It would have been fun to see how fast it could go but I won´t take any chances when liquid propane is involved, a hole in the road could break a fuel line and set the whole thing on fire with me on it...

//Anders
Attachments
Cart_side2.jpg
Cart_side2.jpg (43.94 KiB) Viewed 10463 times

adam
Location: california is home town but currently in new mexico

Post by adam » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:40 pm

yea, propane isnt that safe when it is moving and there is a possible potentail crash hazard as with all vehicles and you dont wont that propane tank catching on fire. i have a pulse jet gokart and i had nowhere to mount the tank so i had it in my lap and on one of the runs i did when i had my crapy propane tank, i was rolling about 25mph and almost dropped the tank off my lap and almost had the propane tank get loose from my grip and almost scraped the bottom of the bottle on the road, and that would suck if the road just scrapped the bottom of the tank like a grinder and all kinds of propane would shoot out and engulf me and the p jet which would turn into a big ball of fire or should i say mushroom cloud 8) so yea propane is kinda dangerous on a gokart. hey did you say you might sell that turbo jet gokart? if so how much?

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:42 pm

If I can get 15000 Skr (~1500 euro) for it I am satisfied, not even close to what I have spent on it but enough to cover some investments I am making for the workshop. If I go lower I might as well keep the expensive parts for other projects and put the frame away.

The problem with selling such a thing is that an ignorant person would probably hurt or even kill himself if he tried to run it without any previous experience with gas turbines, so I would only sell it if the buyer seems serious enough.

Unfortunately I am not willing to go through the trouble with shipping to other parts of the world, I am pretty lazy when it comes to such things... :oops:

lucky rookie

Post by lucky rookie » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:24 pm

anders

every picture you have posted of things you have built amaze me
the quality of you work is stunning

how much do you think you would sell said vehicle for

lucky
i WILL get this pulsjet running even if my wife says i wont

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:49 pm

adam wrote:yea, propane isnt that safe when it is moving and there is a possible potentail crash hazard as with all vehicles and you dont wont that propane tank catching on fire. i have a pulse jet gokart and i had nowhere to mount the tank so i had it in my lap and on one of the runs i did when i had my crapy propane tank, i was rolling about 25mph and almost dropped the tank off my lap and almost had the propane tank get loose from my grip and almost scraped the bottom of the bottle on the road, and that would suck if the road just scrapped the bottom of the tank like a grinder and all kinds of propane would shoot out and engulf me and the p jet which would turn into a big ball of fire or should i say mushroom cloud 8) so yea propane is kinda dangerous on a gokart. hey did you say you might sell that turbo jet gokart? if so how much?
Not that I would prefer riding with a propane tank, but one time at the beach where they had cheesy go-cart rides, some person tipped a gocart over on the track and for some reason the gasoline spilled all over her and she burned to death or died from the burns, perhaps the gas cap was or vibrated loose. I don't think anyone ever expected anything like that could happen.
Presentation is Everything

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:58 pm

Hydrogen is going to be better?

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:01 am

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QmqpGZv0YT4

Here's a laugh, just a comment/reply on the air car.
"300 bar, I don't want to be in the same street when that goes up in an accident, whether it splits or shatters!"
Presentation is Everything

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:55 am

I played around with Moviemaker a while ago and made this video that shows the progress of the jetcart along with some kick-ass tunes. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_SdtbnfRFQ

Btw, the project name "Raketarsle" can be translated to something like "Rocket Asshole" in Swedish...

milisavljevic
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: "Raketarsle" video

Post by milisavljevic » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:23 am

Johansson wrote: I played around with Moviemaker a while ago...
Cool! Thank you for sharing, Anders.

To be continued..? Let's hope so! :P

Cheers,
M.
no safe haven for merchant scum

for ye merchants who do the prop'r t'ing only if
ye be haul'd-up on charges b'fore ye ship-mates
an' threat'nd wit' forfeiture of all ye precious loot
hear this - so-called stand-up guys YE BE NOT

avast!
Cap'n M.

heada

hydrogen "spill"

Post by heada » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:44 pm

One thing to keep in mind when comparing hydrogen and gasoline (or any of the petro-chems used as fuel) is that hydrogen is very light and will go up into the atmosphere very quickly. Contrast that to gasoline that is heavier than air and will pool near the ground. Hydrogen will burn very quickly in a giant fireball and then be done whereas gasoline will burn for much longer.

Now, hydrogen has to be kept at high pressures or extreme cold temperatures which is an issue but overall, hydrogen is a safer fuel than gasoline (but not as energy dense. Nothing really beats gasoline for that)

-Aaron