PDE not that much better than other engines?.

Moderator: Mike Everman

leo
Antipspambot question: 0

PDE not that much better than other engines?.

Post by leo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:48 pm

PDE not that much better potential than pulsejets?
If I understand it right Kentfield is claiming that.
Here is the link to only the first page of a article from 2002.

Kentfield

Dave_G

PDE not that much better potential than pulsejets?

Post by Dave_G » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:44 pm

Kentfield also made a compelling argument for this same position (albeit for different reasons) in his 1998 paper, AIAA 98-3879 (posted elsewhere on this forum), page 6, column 2, paragraph 1.

Most PDE's at that time (1998) were not air-breathing, but required their own source of Oxygen. I do know that air-breathing PDE's are now under development, and as time goes on I think we will see less and less of a distinction between PDE's and valveless pulsejets (on many fronts...), perhaps with a gradual blending of the best features of both.

They will still be inferior to best-economy turbofans in terms of thrust-specific fuel consumption, and thrust-specific volume.

Jim Berquist

PDE Pulse Jet?

Post by Jim Berquist » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:56 am

Ignorant I am! How would you accomplish detonation with a pulse jet? Ox fuel Mixture? From what I do know, you would still have the cyclic return wave . All I know about the PDE is that it is based on a most rapid series of explosive detonations. The P.J. is based on a rapid series of deflagrations in nature I think.

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Dave_G

PDE

Post by Dave_G » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:26 am

Check the available literature. You will find aerovalved PDE's (that DO require Oxygen - but are aerovalved nonetheless like a valveless pulsejet) as well as researchers working on air-breathing (ie., not requiring supplemental Oxygen) PDE's.

I apologise, but I don't have time at the moment to give you reference citations.