Pipewood help

Moderator: Mike Everman

Jmitchell
Antipspambot question: 0

Pipewood help

Post by Jmitchell » Mon May 09, 2005 12:58 am

I saw the plans for the pulse jet made with the pipe and I had to do it. The engine is almost exactly the same as the one that was mentioned in the thread. Here is a video and some pictures of me trying to start it unsuccessfully. My fuel stinger is 1/8" dia soft copper.
Does anyone have any advice for me?

Right click save as
Attachments
DSC00089.JPG
DSC00089.JPG (146.73 KiB) Viewed 10032 times
DSC00090.JPG
DSC00090.JPG (140.03 KiB) Viewed 10032 times
DSC00092.JPG
DSC00092.JPG (150.1 KiB) Viewed 10032 times
DSC00093.JPG
DSC00093.JPG (151.71 KiB) Viewed 10032 times
DSC00094.JPG
DSC00094.JPG (142.84 KiB) Viewed 10032 times
DSC00095.JPG
Ignition system with flyback!
DSC00095.JPG (149.51 KiB) Viewed 10029 times

Mike Everman

re: Pipewood help

Post by Mike Everman » Mon May 09, 2005 2:58 am

Use 3/32" copper tube and it looks as if you could use some file work at the inlet. Doesn't need much, but the ID should be rounded as air enters. Looks great! Should go right off when you get the right stinger diameter, or you can try incrementally smashing the one you have, but my bet is on the 3/32. Mine started like the photo at 90deg, which worked fine, but is now bent out at around 45deg, rather than back on itself.

Happy pulsating. You should have a really big monkey wrench to get all pieces tight! Look in the FAQ section for a bit on starting technique I wrote that works well for this.
Attachments
MVC-757F.JPG
MVC-757F.JPG (42.74 KiB) Viewed 10009 times
Mike

Jmitchell

Post by Jmitchell » Mon May 09, 2005 8:48 am

Hi Mike

About the filing, I was going to do that on my lathe, but I didn't want to squash the threads in the chuck as they were already hard to screw in to the other pieces.

I used a gigantic pipe wrench to screw those all together, It almost ripped my vise off my bench when I was torquing them down though.

Do you reccommend a rat tail file or should I just take the dremel to it with the carbide bit?

I didn't think the diameter of the copper was so critical, however, I could not get it to even burp unless I had bent it like you had shown in the photo, so I'll definently get that 3/32 tube and try again today!

The FAQ seems to be down, it says URL NOT FOUND when I click it.

Thanks!

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon May 09, 2005 1:45 pm

I used a dremel once with some carbide bits to try to widen or smooth out the ridge in a piece of plumbing pipe. It made these little micro needles or shards, something you could probably use as a torture device substance. Just sprinkle a little on your skin and you are in agony. You don't even have to rub them in, they find their way.
It made me think of moon dust for some reason, another irritant. Somehow I thought I remembered some astronaut saying it had gotten on his hands and irritated them for several days. But I am unable to find any such reference.
The dremel will tend to jump and bite if you aren't careful when grinding. Be sure to wear eyewear. It's slow going with a dremel too.
Mark
http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish ... _dust.html
Presentation is Everything

Jmitchell

Post by Jmitchell » Mon May 09, 2005 9:34 pm

Still doesn't run :(
I squashed the stinger a bit, didn't change much.

I'm just randomly guessing the position and putting it about half way inside the CC, is that wrong?

I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I turn the spark on, apply air and slowly turn on fuel. I get a GRRRRRRR gargling sound and I increase air until the sound gets louder, I then increase fuel and the gargling gets louder still, but then I notice the fuel valve is all the way open and it's still just gargling! I increase air a bit and I hear BVZZZZZZZ like it's starting, but then it craps out and I just get a bunch of loud detonation sounding pulses when I try the air again.

Perhaps I don't have enough fuel flow?

steve

Re: re: Pipewood help

Post by steve » Mon May 09, 2005 11:04 pm

Jmitchell wrote: Perhaps I don't have enough fuel flow?
yea, I'm 100% sure thats the problem. that is a realy thirsty engine. If your propane tank isn't full, or is cold, you wont have enough pressure to run it.

in the video it looks as if you are only giving it half to 2/3 the fuel it will need to run.

Jmitchell

Post by Jmitchell » Tue May 10, 2005 1:31 am

Yes my propane tank is both half full and cold!

OK, it's time to get out the 20 gallon tank, big propane tanks scare me hehe.

I found a fitting from an old grill, it's got a regulator, should I fk with the regulator to make it output more, or just cut it off and hook my hose right onto the barb before the reg?

Jmitchell

Post by Jmitchell » Tue May 10, 2005 1:53 am

OK! I'll try that tomorrow and see if I can't get it to self sustain. Too bad it's too heavy for any sort of propulsion. Anyone got any ideas on the thrust figures?

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue May 10, 2005 2:20 am

I'll be surprised if the pipewood puts out 1 pound, but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised. My pocket locky does 1.1 or 1.4 with augmentor, with similar if a little less volume.
The sweet spot for the injector is right about where intake tube meets bell. If you go into the CC, it won't run. The 3/32 tube is enough to make it scream, if you have propane pressure, that is. I use the tank valve and a hose right from there.
Attachments
MVC-756F.JPG
MVC-756F.JPG (71.9 KiB) Viewed 9880 times
Mike

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue May 10, 2005 10:33 am

Mike Everman wrote:I'll be surprised if the pipewood puts out 1 pound, but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.
Why so pessimistic? It sounds very peppy -- more convincing, frankly, than I ever expected it to be. Its internals are far smoother than I thought, too, so that the pumping losses must be minimal. I can see no reason for the thing not to be pretty good.

Jmitchell

Post by Jmitchell » Tue May 10, 2005 11:31 pm

IT WORKS!!!! weeee!!!

I hooked up the 20 gal tank and bent the stinger a bit, (1/4" copper) and VOILA! It starts SO easy, one puff of air and it's buzzing. It's throttleable, but when I turn the gas up a little bit beyond the safe point, it flames out, same with too low.

Here are some pictures, I have some videos if anyone wants me to upload those too.
Attachments
DSC00107.JPG
DSC00107.JPG (159.96 KiB) Viewed 9843 times
DSC00102.JPG
DSC00102.JPG (148.26 KiB) Viewed 9844 times
DSC00106.JPG
DSC00106.JPG (140.14 KiB) Viewed 9846 times

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue May 10, 2005 11:41 pm

Jmitchell wrote:IT WORKS!!!! weeee!!!

I hooked up the 20 gal tank and bent the stinger a bit, (1/4" copper) and VOILA! It starts SO easy, one puff of air and it's buzzing. It's throttleable, but when I turn the gas up a little bit beyond the safe point, it flames out, same with too low.

Here are some pictures, I have some videos if anyone wants me to upload those too.
Bravo! Isn't it a completely amazing thing? You walk to the neighborhood store, but parts for 20 bucks, spend half an hour putting the thing to gether and you have a jet engine in your garage! Totally amazing. I am fascinated by this thing.

Jmitchell

Post by Jmitchell » Tue May 10, 2005 11:47 pm

Yes! it ended up being around 40$ because the "trainee" at the counter was stupid and rang up a few things more than once...

Now I need to build a REAL engine! Maybe I can use steel car exhaust tubing??

Thanks for your help Steve, you hit the nail on the head!

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed May 11, 2005 12:12 am

Ha ha, neeto! Another fine noisemaker!
Mike

Jmitchell

Post by Jmitchell » Wed May 11, 2005 2:02 am

Here's the layout of how I built mine, credited to Mike of course!
Attachments
pipewood.GIF
pipewood.GIF (7.2 KiB) Viewed 8675 times