Favorite aircraft

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Favorite aircraft

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:35 am

steve wrote:if you want to see a really odd looking one check this out: http://sfstation.members.easyspace.com/xf5u-1.htm
(another of my all time favorites).
Ah, the Flying Pancake. Yes, I like it myself, but it had serious engineering issues. Also, a pilot tells me an aircraft you can't stall is very unpleasant to fly because it feels very mushy and you feel you have no real authority over it.

Warthog is not ugly to me, either. I love its utilitarian form. I love aircraft that are not 'styled' but look the way they look because they have to perform a certain function. Functional aesthetics rules.

To my eye, flying boats are the most beautiful aircraft of them all. They were difficult to do, as you had to marry a boat and an aircraft, but when it worked, it worked wonderfully. Also, I love the very idea of a flying boat -- the freedom it offers etc. So very romantic.

The most incredible aircraft I have ever seen was a PBY Catalina converted into a flying motorhome in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Inside it was fitted out like a classic yacht. Many flight systems were improved and it had two specially designed very sleek speedboats hanging from below the wings, which could be lowered to the water and used as tenders to get to the ground.

There was a report about it in the Flying magazine many, many years ago, mocking Hugh Hefner for converting a Boeing 737 into a flying gin palace and suggesting that there are much greater ways to spend your money on a flying home.

The owner talked about going fishing to Canadian lakes or Alaska -- he was obviously on very good terms with his pilot, another fishing enthusiast. The downside was the engines -- big radials gulping expensive fuel at an incredible rate -- and comparatively ancient flight systems that required a permanent crew of two and made flying longer distances a bit of a chore.

Boy, what a beautiful piece of kit.

Al Belli

Post by Al Belli » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:32 pm

Hi,

I always wanted to build a flying scale model of this aircraft. The aircraft was named ascender to satisfy the censors; the engineers named it that because they thought that it flew " ass end first " !!

Al Belli
Attachments
xp55.jpg
xp55.jpg (134.61 KiB) Viewed 12492 times

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:02 pm

I like those amphibious planes.

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true

Mark

hinote

Post by hinote » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:05 pm

brunoogorelec wrote:

To my eye, flying boats are the most beautiful aircraft of them all. They were difficult to do, as you had to marry a boat and an aircraft, but when it worked, it worked wonderfully. Also, I love the very idea of a flying boat -- the freedom it offers etc. So very romantic.
Here's a couple of flying boats/amphibs, as seen by me at Oshkosh.

I'm particularly fond of the Sikorsky--it was duplicated by the S.C.Johnson Co. at great cost.

Beautiful.

Bill H.
Attachments
DSC01046.JPG
(307.93 KiB) Downloaded 692 times
DSC01049.JPG
(317.15 KiB) Downloaded 690 times

hinote

Post by hinote » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:43 pm

hinote wrote: I'm particularly fond of the Sikorsky--it was duplicated by the S.C.Johnson Co. at great cost.

Beautiful.
Here's good link to more information and photos about this unique aircraft.

http://www.friendsofmeigs.org/html/Even ... hnson.html

steve

Post by steve » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:46 pm

brunoogorelec wrote:The most incredible aircraft I have ever seen was a PBY Catalina converted into a flying motorhome in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Inside it was fitted out like a classic yacht. Many flight systems were improved and it had two specially designed very sleek speedboats hanging from below the wings, which could be lowered to the water and used as tenders to get to the ground.

There was a report about it in the Flying magazine many, many years ago, mocking Hugh Hefner for converting a Boeing 737 into a flying gin palace and suggesting that there are much greater ways to spend your money on a flying home.

The owner talked about going fishing to Canadian lakes or Alaska -- he was obviously on very good terms with his pilot, another fishing enthusiast. The downside was the engines -- big radials gulping expensive fuel at an incredible rate -- and comparatively ancient flight systems that required a permanent crew of two and made flying longer distances a bit of a chore.

Boy, what a beautiful piece of kit.
I remember that article, only it was a grumman albatross not a PBY. the guy who owns is runs a company that restores albatrosses and similar aircraft and will customize them however you like (if the price is right)

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:01 pm

steve wrote:I remember that article, only it was a grumman albatross not a PBY. the guy who owns is runs a company that restores albatrosses and similar aircraft and will customize them however you like (if the price is right)
Sorry, Steve, but the day I confuse Albatross with the PBY is the day I eat my hat -- and I promise not to use ketchup or mustard, either.

Nope, it was the Catalina and it had the central part of the wing metalized (not wooden) and the blisters on the sides were one-pice Lucite bubbles rather than the standard segmented issue.

Not that I don't admire the Albatross, mind you. In fact, if I could go back in history and choose one aircraft company to work at for my entire working life, it might well be Grumman. Few companies have produced such good and beautiful aircraft so consistently over so many decades.

Just look at this perfectly utilitarian craft -- such beauty from such a modest and dutiful design. I am truly humbled.
Attachments
c1_02.jpg
c1_02.jpg (46.86 KiB) Viewed 12462 times

steve

Post by steve » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:12 pm

brunoogorelec wrote:
steve wrote:I remember that article, only it was a grumman albatross not a PBY. the guy who owns is runs a company that restores albatrosses and similar aircraft and will customize them however you like (if the price is right)
Sorry, Steve, but the day I confuse Albatross with the PBY is the day I eat my hat -- and I promise not to use ketchup or mustard, either.

Nope, it was the Catalina and it had the central part of the wing metalized (not wooden) and the blisters on the sides were one-pice Lucite bubbles rather than the standard segmented issue.

Not that I don't admire the Albatross, mind you. In fact, if I could go back in history and choose one aircraft company to work at for my entire working life, it might well be Grumman. Few companies have produced such good and beautiful aircraft so consistently over so many decades.

Just look at this perfectly utilitarian craft -- such beauty from such a modest and dutiful design. I am truly humbled.
OK fine, but I definately saw an albatross with the same setup you described. It is definately possible that both aircraft were modified by the same guy and that's why the look so similar. BTW the hat eating/PBY confusing thing goes for me as well :-)

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:20 pm

Interesting. I'd like to see that Albatross. By the way, in my country, a German company is in the process of establishing a flying boat service along the Adriatic coast, servicing about a dozen major islands (we have hundreds!) using Turbo Mallards. If they do, I am sure the service itself will be a big tourist draw, not just a transport utility. The Adriatic coast from air is one of the most incredible sights you are ever likely to see. They've been hitting red tape for well over a year by now, though.
Attachments
dugi_otok.jpg
dugi_otok.jpg (82.08 KiB) Viewed 12453 times

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:19 pm

i feel so bad.... i have forgotten this up to now!!!
http://www.4qd.co.uk/evs/pics/Chitty.jpeg

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:43 am

I can't find the dang previous favorite car post, but this is the car my dad use to have. It was just kind of a nice understated car. If you type the number 407 in the search, you can reach the photos.

http://www.arnolt.com/main-frameset.htm

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:58 am

Mark wrote:I can't find the dang previous favorite car post
...that's because I cleverly disguised it as a thread about the FAQ section:

http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=867

I thought the Fighter bore a striking resemblence to the Dodge Viper. It uses the same engine too, which explains why the performance stats are almost identical. Mark, was the 407 nice and fast?

By the way guys, I love flying boats too, and have always fantasized about owning a Grumman Goose or a Turbo-Goose, fitted out on the inside with walnut panels, brass hardware and a slim, leggy redhead in some kind of teddy or corset or something.
Trig IS fun.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:38 am

Mike Kirney wrote:I love flying boats too, and have always fantasized about owning a Grumman Goose or a Turbo-Goose, fitted out on the inside with walnut panels, brass hardware and a slim, leggy redhead in some kind of teddy or corset or something.
Maybe quibbling about a fantasy is pointless, but a Goose is too small to have a proper king-size bed. Maybe Albatross would be better. Wood and brass details are too heavy for aircraft. Apart from that, I kind of agree with the drift of your thoughts. In my case, you can omit 'slim', too.

Hank

Post by Hank » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:06 pm

Hello- Not enough room for the necessary amenities? Well, sportsfan, resurrect this gizmo and have enough room for more people than you'd ever care to know.
Hank
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (2.37 KiB) Viewed 12415 times

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:40 pm

Hank, the image is too small to tell, but it looks like something cooked up by the feverish brains at Blohm & Voss. It was probably equipped with those bent-barrel guns that could shoot around the corner...