How Loud?

Moderator: Mike Everman

camino75080
Antipspambot question: 0

How Loud?

Post by camino75080 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:23 pm

I know that p-jets are loud. But how loud are talking, I live in the city and was wondering about how much of a desturbance one of the bad boys would make? Should I expect police, fire, medical, military, FBI, or something else if run one?

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: How Loud?

Post by Viv » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:27 pm

camino75080 wrote:I know that p-jets are loud. But how loud are talking, I live in the city and was wondering about how much of a desturbance one of the bad boys would make? Should I expect police, fire, medical, military, FBI, or something else if run one?
Yes! you should expect all of them and more:-)

Nick when testing a BCVP gathered a huge crowd and they were not happy.

A pressure jet running flat out at 145lbs here in Canada was meashured at 150dba

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:21 pm

Viv wrote:
camino75080 wrote:I know that p-jets are loud. But how loud are talking, I live in the city and was wondering about how much of a desturbance one of the bad boys would make? Should I expect police, fire, medical, military, FBI, or something else if run one?
Yes! you should expect all of them and more:-)

Nick when testing a BCVP gathered a huge crowd and they were not happy.

A pressure jet running flat out at 145lbs here in Canada was meashured at 150dba

Viv
Why can't there be a country where jet engine maniacs can gather to actually enjoy the sound? I'd have paid to be there hehe.
Anthony

ZSartell

Post by ZSartell » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:21 pm

The smaller ones and especially the large ones are loud enough to make the police show up at your house. The police know my PulseJet collection very well, and they always get a kick out of it... Also, some of my neighbors have not spoken to me in months, but if they don't appreciate a good Pulse Jet running at 7:00PM then I don't want to talk to them either.

steve

Post by steve » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:29 pm

If you build a really small engine and run it at low throttle then the noise is bearable. I can run my (mark's) mini logan pipejet without hearing protection at any throttle setting below 50% If you had something this small and were able to run it indoors then your neighbors wouldn't even hear it.

look at "what is a pressure jet" in the pressure jet section of this forum.

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:39 pm

if noise and space is a problem (isnt it always?) then the Reynst presents itself as a nice little number, my steel jam jar/Reynst Pot runs at very low volumes, no hearing protection required and they run on Meths and need no noisy blowers/air compressors to start the big plus is they are very simple to make in basic form ie a jam jar.
Vid of mine running on my web site if you are curious.

http://www.pulseweld.dsl.pipex.com/

Nick

ps the occasion Viv mentions was quite funny in the end, we looked up to a see a row of people standing on walls trying to see what the noise was about, you should have seen their faces!.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:07 pm

Or you could make a "snorkeler", they aren't any louder than a Harley Davidson a little above idle. Snorkeler's are cousins to the jam jar and both jam jar and this snorkeler inhale and exhale through just a single port. I spray a few shots of methanol down the snorkel and then just light the tip. In this photo, a fire broke out after running for several minutes. The tank is sitting on a cloth and some wood chips, I had attempted to keep dirt and mud out of the threads of the plugs that stab into the ground. This tank has pipe threading fittings all over it, I bought it on eBay, I think it was a hydraulic fluid tank of some sort and it's made of stainless steel, 2.5 gallons. With a larger diameter snorkel it runs somewhat louder but not as long as 5 minutes like the arrangement pictured. I start with a liter or two in the bottom of the tank, it just vaporizes and feeds the reaction on an even keel throughout the run, chuffing, blended with intermittent wet towel popping sounds.
Mark
Attachments
040201145357.jpg
(126.59 KiB) Downloaded 563 times

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:24 am

"In this photo, a fire broke out after running for several minutes."

Bwahaha! I wish the old forum was up, someone described cleaning a chicken house and having it explode as one of their first adventures.

Yes, the standard warnings are in order for newbies: Fires, high noise levels, fireballs, blowtorch operation, meltdowns, bangs, scorched eyebrows and potential death are all possible when playing with these "toys". Be prepared to run and hide in the event any of the above happens, otherwise, a fun time will be had by all (until you put someone's eye out).

The design I'm working on isn't noisy, it just tends to burp fireballs out the intake, which is where I am usually looking :)
I'm writing an automated airplane designer in java, useful later when you guys get ready to bolt a p-jet onto some wings

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:42 pm

[quote="Stuart"]"In this photo, a fire broke out after running for several minutes."

Bwahaha! I wish the old forum was up, someone described cleaning a chicken house and having it explode as one of their first adventures.

I remember something about an old structure or this chicken house, he was garbed in hockey gear or something and lit it with a flare or Roman candle, something from a "safe distance." It's been a long time but I also remember he said it being the only time his wiener dog fainted, from the show. Wood and planks went everywhere.
Mark