Roaring Becomes Elektra

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:24 pm

WRT the tapped hole, it works great. If you're using the CM-6 plug (10mm thread), I suggest drilling and tapping a 3/8-16 hole. It is not quite the right pitch, and the minor diameter is such that both make for a tight fit. Just don't run it in and out. In once, forget it. It works on .035" wall tube too.
Nice post, Steve. Now you really must make a Kazooenstein!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:16 pm

If not, just give me permission to host copies and we can edit your post so your picture of the engine in its 'Handy Mount' can appear at the top beneath the title of your post. I think a good picture at the top always provides a nice "hook" to get people to go on to read through the post.
Feel free to use any and all of my pictures including the ones below:
Attachments
DSC01359.JPG
even more pics 4 u
DSC01359.JPG (137.6 KiB) Viewed 13101 times
DSC01361.JPG
more pics 4 u
DSC01361.JPG (154.05 KiB) Viewed 13100 times
DSC01367.JPG
spark plug mount: note that I didn't use a standard size plug. the tap is 1/2" by 20. the nut was used as a spacer so the plug didn't stick too far into the engine.
(535.47 KiB) Downloaded 581 times
Electra.jpg
what every teen really wants...
(187.51 KiB) Downloaded 622 times

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:11 pm

what every teen really wants...

Ha-ha-ha.... very good, Steve. Are you any relation to that famous old lecher Charles Bukowsky?

steve

Post by steve » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:25 pm

brunoogorelec wrote:what every teen really wants...

Ha-ha-ha.... very good, Steve. Are you any relation to that famous old lecher Charles Bukowsky?
No, I don't believe so.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:11 am

Steve -

'Because what every teen really wants ..." is FABULOUS! I about fell off my chair laughing when I saw it, and dragged my wife Sharon downstairs to see it. She cares nothing about jets, but thought the picture was a hilarious and wonderful takeoff, too. Great idea!

Would it be easy for you re-do it with a couple of corrections? I would like 'Elektra' spelled with a K, and there should be an E in the middle of 'something'. [Forgive me, Steve, I shouldn't complain ... it's just the Editor in me speaking up.] I'd love to put that somewhere on a third page of my main Elektra site, with some of your comments duplicated there.

You look pretty good in that shot -- like a young John Lennon just loafing around the yard with his valveless walking stick.

I'll get a couple of these shots onto the Web Log when I can. Thanks again!

L Cottrill

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:38 am

That's a scream Steven! A good sense of humor and creativity to be sure.
Mark

larry cottrill

Recognition of Achievement

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:09 pm

We [meaning, I] at the Cottrill Cyclodyne Corporation, after long and serious deliberation, have decided to award to Mr Steve Bukowski the prestigious and coveted Elektra I Powerplant Researcher Certificate, Certificate No. El-I-0001, in recognition of his achievement in being the FIRST EVER amateur builder to succeed in building and test running a Cottrill designed jet engine prototype.

Steve, if you will privately email me with your full name [exactly as you wish it to appear on your award] and your complete home mailing address, I will, sooner or later, see that you get your certificate. Please allow about a year, since I still need to design and print this prestigious and coveted award [suitable for framing].

In the future, the Cottrill Cyclodyne Corporation will, at our discretion, issue such awards to serious amateurs who successfully build and test any of my engine designs, upon proof of successful completion and preliminary testing. [You do not need to be the first in the world to build one to receive a certificate, just send photographic/video and written proof that you've built one of my engine designs and have gotten it to run.]

L Cottrill

Mark

Re: Recognition of Achievement

Post by Mark » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:45 pm

Larry Cottrill wrote:We [meaning, I] at the Cottrill Cyclodyne Corporation, after long and serious deliberation, have decided to award to Mr Steve Bukowski the prestigious and coveted Elektra I Powerplant Researcher Certificate, Certificate No. El-I-0001, in recognition of his achievement in being the FIRST EVER amateur builder to succeed in building and test running a Cottrill designed jet engine prototype.
L Cottrill
I wouldn't have thought it possible. LOL To say the least, I was skeptical of the electric box project. Truth IS stranger than fiction. Thanks for the pleasant surprises and the unfolding entertainment that this tale has spun.
Mark

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:59 pm

Mark wrote:Thanks for the pleasant surprises and the unfolding entertainment that this tale has spun.
Hear! Hear! Indeed, a strange and pleasant outcome of a story with a curious beginning.

steve

Post by steve » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:21 pm

Larry Cottrill wrote:We [meaning, I] at the Cottrill Cyclodyne Corporation, after long and serious deliberation, have decided to award to Mr. Stephen Bukowsky the prestigious and coveted Elektra I Powerplant Researcher Certificate, Certificate No. El-I-0001, in recognition of his achievement in being the FIRST EVER amateur builder to succeed in building and test running a Cottrill designed jet engine prototype.
Bold and Italic! I can hardly wait! (just E-mail it to me and I'll print it here- my printer is AWESOME)
Would it be easy for you re-do it with a couple of corrections? I would like 'Elektra' spelled with a K, and there should be an E in the middle of 'something'. [Forgive me, Steve, I shouldn't complain ... it's just the Editor in me speaking up.]
Actually, no, I can't. I stupidly deleted the origional photo and saved the new pic under a format that can't be edited. I remember thinking at the time, "will I need this later? Naaaaaaa! [deleted!]" My terrible spelling strikes again!

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:59 pm

steve wrote:
Larry Cottrill wrote:We [meaning, I] at the Cottrill Cyclodyne Corporation, after long and serious deliberation, have decided to award to Mr. Stephen Bukowsky the prestigious and coveted Elektra I Powerplant Researcher Certificate, Certificate No. El-I-0001, in recognition of his achievement in being the FIRST EVER amateur builder to succeed in building and test running a Cottrill designed jet engine prototype.
Bold and Italic! I can hardly wait! (just E-mail it to me and I'll print it here- my printer is AWESOME)
Would it be easy for you re-do it with a couple of corrections? I would like 'Elektra' spelled with a K, and there should be an E in the middle of 'something'. [Forgive me, Steve, I shouldn't complain ... it's just the Editor in me speaking up.]
Actually, no, I can't. I stupidly deleted the origional photo and saved the new pic under a format that can't be edited. I remember thinking at the time, "will I need this later? Naaaaaaa! [deleted!]" My terrible spelling strikes again!
Steve -

No, I insist on sending it to you, printed on high-quality fake parchment, with my signature hand-written. I might even throw in one or two little extras, if I can think of something.

With your permission, I will modify your spelling and use your great 'every teen' shot on an Elektra I third page [don't laugh -- I have successfully removed Saran wrap wrinkles from some of Mark's early scanner shots of pipe assemblies!].

Would you be interested in tackling an Elektra II? Same cheap parts, but more metalworking required. You'd want to really splurge on that one and use some antenna mast tubing -- the performance should be much improved [as if we could tell]. I'm sure you're scraping your pennies together right now for a refill of acetylene. If you want to try it, I'll work up a dimensioned drawing so you can get started. But, maybe you'd like to give somebody else a chance to have first whack at the next one ...

L Cottrill

steve

Post by steve » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:40 am

If you can fix the mistakes then by all means do so! I'm interested to see how it turns out. I assume you won't be using MS paint for this one :-)

BTW Mark, why do you use the saran wrap anyway? to protect the scanner glass?

As for another electra, that will have to wait awhile. Right now I am in the middle of the Cross-country part of my flight training and at $250 a lesson I have NO money to spend on more engines. I'll start building more stuff when I go back to school and can use their supplies for free again.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:02 am

steve wrote:I assume you won't be using MS paint for this one :-)
Why not? I have edited color photos with MS Paint. Works well but you do have to be patient.
steve wrote:Right now I am in the middle of the Cross-country part of my flight training and at $250 a lesson I have NO money to spend on more engines.
Good for you! This is more important. This way, you may end up flying your own engines yourself one day

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:50 pm

[quote="steve"]

BTW Mark, why do you use the saran wrap anyway? to protect the scanner glass?

That was in my early days, when I just got my scanner. I didn't want to scratch the glass and didn't have a digital camera, I still don't have a digital camera but I do have a 35 mm.
I found a new piece of plexiglass in the garage and peeled off the protective coating and use that now, laying it on top of the glass.
Mark

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:03 pm

steve wrote:If you can fix the mistakes then by all means do so! I'm interested to see how it turns out. I assume you won't be using MS paint for this one :-)
Here is the re-work, done on a BMP copy in about 10 minutes with MS Paint, then converted back to JPEG.

The 'e' is copied from the one nearby; the 'k' I just made up, i.e. I did not try to make one exactly like the legitimate one from the font used, but just re-worked it to make it recognizable. I did not try to shift the 'is something' line left, which would have required considerably more effort and would not have increased the information value.

L Cottrill
Attachments
SteveB_every_teen.jpg
Because what every teen really wants ... Copyright 2004 Steve Bukowski
(373.88 KiB) Downloaded 626 times