Jam jar substitute?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Blapto
Antipspambot question: 0

Jam jar substitute?

Post by Blapto » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:17 pm

I don't have access to anything jam jar shaped that is empty. Looking around the house for something I cam across a can that used to hold lemonade that hadn't been thrown away. The same shape as a standard coke can. The hole in the top is probably about the right size.
I was also thinking I could take a full can, turn it upside down and put a hole in the curved bottom. Drain the liquid out (for a refreshing drink!) and drill in a 13mm hole. Then pour some meths in, shake and light.
Painfully enough I am also out of meths, do you think that it is even worth thinking about using petrol? I'm off to drill one of these out to 13mm so I can stare at it lovingly.

mk

Post by mk » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:42 pm

The hole diameter should be about 1/5th to 1/4th of the can diameter.
The can should be 2 to 3 times higher than its diameter.

Petrol isn' t the best fuel for jam jars, being extremly weak to an exact fuel/air relation.
I got a relatively big glas jar running on petrol. It was a headache getting it run! The glas had to be preheated as well. But the flame show was incredible, just as the sound. I should try it again and get a video of this show...

You could use ethanol, e.g. spirit. I do so and my jam jars are performing very well.
You can stop these jam jars (especially glas jars after about 5 to 7 seconds, provides them from cracking) very easily by just holding a stiff sheet of paper over the hole.
Last edited by mk on Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mk

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:56 pm

Blapto,
You must have an empty jar around somewhere! Access was never easier. Maybe you could use up the last of a jelly jar. About any jar will do if you use methanol and take a little care in drilling or punching out your hole so that it is neat. All you need is a jar that is air tight.
It can't get much easier than that. You have to drill a hole.
Mark

Blapto

Post by Blapto » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:13 pm

The only suitable jar contains curry powder stuff, and I'm not eating half a jar of that! I have put a 13mm hole in the bottom of a pepsi can and removed all the fluid from inside (washed out with water, then boiled the water out). It's unlikely to work, but it saved me from a bit of boredom.
I will be looking around the house now for alternative fuel sources...

yipster

Post by yipster » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:01 pm

punching neat small holes in and the big centre one out plus a thin bottom layer of shaken ether may work...?

oech, am i getting lazy?

Blapto

Post by Blapto » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:17 pm

Hmmm. I have found no suitable fuel. I though about WD40, butane, petrol and white spirit, the 4 most readily available fuels. WD40 is too tame, butane is too hard to control, petrol will catch fire but not 'explode" like meths will and white spirit is either too tame or my source is ancient. The safety lid of the bottle crumbled away in my hands, and there is a deep red resin on the bottom. I'll buy some meths at the next available opportunity, and look round craft fairs for a suitable bottle.

Mark

USE METHANOL USE METHANOL USE METHANOL

Post by Mark » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:45 pm

I found ether to be really tricky. It easily becomes way too rich and the flame barely burns. However, one cool day in Oregon I poured some "ether for anesthesia" (it said on the can), on the ground, struck a match standing over it and before the match got anywhere near it, a fantastic fireball or burning bush of flame appeared before me like magic. I was a chemistry aid in high school and ordered lots of chemicals from an old Mallinckrodt catalog my teacher gave me. Sometimes the UPS guy would leave the chemicals with a neighbor if I wasn't home. My neighbor must have wondered about the package of sodium with warning labels such as "may explode on contact with water." I can still remember my old hand written letters I would write to Mallinckrodt, "Dear Sirs, Please send .... and I would list things that looked interesting or dangerous and enclose a check.
Mark

mk

Post by mk » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:48 pm

Mark wrote:You have to drill a hole.
No drilling is required!
Knocking a hole (a small one first that can be widened) into the lid is sufficient, but I'd suggest drilling, you can control the hole size better this way.
mk

Blapto

Post by Blapto » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:58 pm

I actually couldn't find a bit that large, so I put a small hole in, punched it wider with a screwdriver, filed it a bit wider, then made it round and the right size with the dremel.

mk

Post by mk » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:01 pm

Good job of improvisation.
You'll need a lot of it when handling with jam jars and pulse jets.

Smoothing the rim is important, too!
mk

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:02 pm

Yes, I suppose you could just punch a hole in the center and widen it out or file or grind down any lip that forms. If you have a 45 pistol, perhaps you could just fire off a shot and form the hole that way. Maybe do several lids at once that way!
Even a round file would work I suppose. Just have fun showing off your pulsating jar to unsuspecting newbies. That is the most fun. No moving parts but a moving demonstration. Every Thursday we have a children's program at the library, too bad I couldn't razzle them with a jam jar demonstration. Kids like that sort of thing too, but yes it does involve fire, which isn't always popular with mothers.
Mark

mk

Post by mk » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:08 pm

Mark wrote:Yes, I suppose you could just punch a hole in the center and widen it out or file or grind down any lip that forms. If you have a 45 pistol, perhaps you could just fire off a shot and form the hole that way. Maybe do several lids at once that way!
Too bad I'm hating pistols and guns (air_guns not, of course)!
But a nice hint for people being lazy...
Mark wrote:Just have fun showing off your pulsating jar to unsuspecting newbies. That is the most fun. No moving parts but a moving demonstration.
That's damn right!
I showed some of my jam jars to my friends and my grandpa...fascinating watching the peoples reactions!
mk

Mark

Real Lemon

Post by Mark » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:33 pm

The first time I showed the jam jar to my brother, I didn't tell him I had read about it. He thought I had discovered something really interesting, but he was kind of embarrassed when I told him it was "common knowledge." Before I had read of Reynst, I had a plastic lemon that lemon juice came in. Anyway, I took out the little nozzle fitting and squirted in some methanol and lit it. In that respect, I had discovered pulsating combustion myself. If you have plastic lemon, you might try it, it doesn't run but for a few seconds and the plastic shaped lemon survives the heat, but it does rev up. I didn't connect this behavior as something you could expand upon or do with a jar or steel vessel of some sort though. To see a plastic real lemon "Reynst" scroll to the bottom and look to the right. I have also come across some wine bottles that Reynst up although they are few and far between. I hate to run them for fear of cracking the few examples I have.
Mark

http://www.realemon.com/

mk

Post by mk » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:12 am

I took an empty spirit bottle, drilled a small hole into the lid and put a short piece of aluminium tubing into the hole. Then I squeezed the bottle (plastic) a bit together and let it expand again, by sucking in the flame of a lighter. And "WOOOSHHH" the bottle became bigger and bigger in my hand...reving up one time. I tried it with layed down spirit bottle...just after reving up the bottle slided over the ground...really fascinating.

I also got a some vine bottels running. A smaller one was bell, or rather urn shaped and did run only when being preheated with two or three too "rich breaths".
The other bottles were big fermentation bottles with a volume of about 5 liters. Luckily these ones just breathed a few times.
Last edited by mk on Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mk

yipster

Post by yipster » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:13 am

as child i recal playing with almost empty paintcans, without the lid they would fire up and pulse but died by lack of oxigen i always thought... later we placed them topside down with some carbid under and made them fly