No Fabrication Pulsejet

Moderator: Mike Everman

jmhdx
Antipspambot question: 0

No Fabrication Pulsejet

Post by jmhdx » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:43 pm

I in my ever roming occupation have tried to find every component I need in the plethora of diy and hardware stores around the UK and thought this B&Q table leg was good enough to share.
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/p ... DID=190491

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:50 pm

Not a bad find.
Mark

steve

Post by steve » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:05 pm

they didn't specify weather it was stainless or not! how could their discription be so vague! :)

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:44 pm

looks stainless to me, but didnt it say plated? also, would it really be thin enough? to have stability, i would think it to be a fair thickness, but then again, it is a bit cheap to be as thick as i am thinking. seeing as how i am broke, Viv, buy one and tell us! or someone else with too much time on their hands in the UK : o)

Tom
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

jmhdx

Post by jmhdx » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:32 am

It's thick, heavy, but maleable and welds ok. It's a low grade of stainless steel and may corrode under very high temperatures but it looks great.
Ideal for testing really as it will take much cutting and welding. More importantly its the only item of this type I've ever seen. I also bought the accompanying short leg(12") and used it as a combustion chamber.
I've not had much luck finding stock thin wall tube from suppliers although there must be some available. Anybody know where I can buy 3"(75mm) tube from as I hope to kazoo a piece.
Mike.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:20 am

This is a great find! It could work both ways -- orient it one way and it is a Lockwood tailpipe. Turn it around and it's a body for a Saunders Roe thingy... One to note down.

Won't they ever be surprised to see the sales of a table leg go up suddenly.

Make a good advertising blurb. Camping table leg. Satin silver finish. Safe up to 1200 C. Airframe brackets available separately. FAA approved. Do not exceed Mach 0.9 at sea level.

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:00 pm

Perhaps with 4 legs you could make a flying table! I see at the bottom of the page under features it says made of steel and ideal for tables, desks, etc. The etc. is obviously a reference to pulsejets I think. One time while eating lunch at the library, and this curiosity has happened before with other tables, I couldn't help but think the stainless steel frame, the fat diameter stems and legs would make for something interesting too. The steel is a brushed look about 2.5 inches in diameter with nifty smooth capping on the T-shaped legs. I've seen tall floor lamps before with interesting gradual horn flares but they are expensive.
Mark

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:36 pm

Coffee wrote:looks stainless to me, but didnt it say plated? also, would it really be thin enough? to have stability, i would think it to be a fair thickness, but then again, it is a bit cheap to be as thick as i am thinking. seeing as how i am broke, Viv, buy one and tell us! or someone else with too much time on their hands in the UK : o)

Tom
Hey Coffee I am in Canada now so it would be a bit hard for to get one:-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire