The Beach Was Wonderful

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

jmhdx
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by jmhdx » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:24 pm

The most consilitoray thing I've heard that may relax the enviromentalists among us I've heard is that some time, long after the last two humans have killed each other in a fight over who owns the last apple tree, is that the earth will heal and life will continue on this planet until the sun goes red dwarf.
"All nature needs to thrive is the abscense of man."
Mike.

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:37 pm

jmhdx wrote:"All nature needs to thrive is the abscense of man."
Well, I don't know. Rabbits are also trying hard to be the dominant species. So are the ants. Rhododendron, too. Fish, ditto. Neither gives a heck for the environment. Given more power, they would do a much worse job than we are doing.

The only way in which we are different is that we are the most powerful. So, who gives a damn about nature without man? I don't buy that. We just have to be more careful, more prudent and try not to shit where we eat. We should manage the planet with the same amount of forethought and planning that we use to manage our homes and gardens. We have not done so yet, but we are not very far from doing it either.

It was a difficult lesson but we seem to be learning it.

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:52 am

To me the irony is, everything I hate about nature, the killing, the suffering, the slaughter, the diseases, all these horrible events are the very things that were needed to shape/form all the animals and lead to our finely honed existence. What might the world be like in 10,000 years from now? What will be important then?
Mark