Liguid Fueled Rockets

Moderator: Mike Everman

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Liguid Fueled Rockets

Post by Stephen H » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:48 am

Hey all

i was wondering if anyone has plans pics or any experiance with liquid fueled rockets ? I think it would be awsome to use one for a science fair project, and just use 2 syringes and petrol and concentrated H202.
any ideas ?

Stephen

Viv

Re: Liguid Fueled Rockets

Post by Viv » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:31 am

Stephen H wrote:Hey all

i was wondering if anyone has plans pics or any experiance with liquid fueled rockets ? I think it would be awsome to use one for a science fair project, and just use 2 syringes and petrol and concentrated H202.
any ideas ?

Stephen
The pressure in the combustion chamber would push the syringe plungers back out of the syringes (quite quickly:-) and blow the fuel all over the you?

Mate! all ways apply the "what if it goes wrong rule" to any idea.

Viv:-)

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:54 pm

Buy the plans from http://home.total.net/~launch/ (System Solaire)
They're relatively inexpensive, and the best thing about it is, it probably won't blow up on you. Unlike solid rockets, or hybrids, you can't screw around with liquid rockets. The engineering has to be precise or they just build up huge pressure and go off like a bomb, spraying everything with shrapnel probably killing you in the process...seriously.
If you want to build it, it's not something you can build with a set of Sears socket wrenches and scrap metal.
I built the SS67B-1 in 1999, and launched it successfully 8 times without mishap. I sold the rocket and the plans to my brother shortly after and he's only used it a couple of times. It was worth the money, and the cost of building was just short of $900 CDN (minus tools).

Bon chance..

Gerd

Liquid fuel rocket

Post by Gerd » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:18 am

Ok the idea with two syringes and H2O2 as oxidizer could be work for a science project or a small test stand.

But: High concetrated H2O2 is difficult to buy in some countries, it's instable and dangerous like accid. H2NO4 ( Ntric Accid ) as oxxydizer is as dangerous as H2O2. Liquid Oxygene (LOX) is also very difficult.

For a test stand on a science project I would suggset normal O2 Oxxygene that could be obtain from a welders shop. It will be difficult to build a flying rocket with this high pressure Oxydant, but for a test stand it will be allright.

cu Gerd

Tom
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Tom » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:21 pm

it takes 4 cans of coke to give me an idea. we have established that just using syringes would result in catastrophe, so what about some small high pressure <b>plastic</b> tanks for the ethanol and H202, with a inlet port and a outlet port. you connect the outlets up to the combustion chamber, adn into the inlets you hook up a high pressure gas system, either helium, or for a science fair project, i would probably use Co2, as it is much more available for me, in either a fer Co2 bulbs, or a bigger tank. Hey, even chuck in a few tiny check valves also. with proper testing, i think this design could be flyable.....

all comments welcome,

T.
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Viv

Post by Viv » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:31 pm

I do remember reading a site that had a transparent rocket motor made from a block of perspex.

A hole in the middle was the combustion chamber a nozzle on the back and then a ordinary oxygen supply.

Looked the dogs nuts when it ran and he did it in the lectre room.

Viv

I will see if I can refind the link

Edit! here you go mate http://www.cartman.clara.net/h0.html
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:39 pm

ahhh. i remember that pic from a all-night surfing session back when i convinced myself i had insomnia :o) i know some people in my rocketry clum who were experimenting with a demonstration hybrid, just like that one, with a few minor differences, it was running NOX for the oxidizer andthe 2nd small difference, it was about 6 foot long.

:o)

T.

Viv

Post by Viv » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:42 pm

Well it looks an easy build for your demo, it should be safe for a demo, it runs off easy to get fuel.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Bruno Ogorelec

shovel and pickaxe

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:44 am

"Motorola semiconductor devision, digging a hole with the shovel of incompetence and the pickaxe of ineptitude."

Motorola? I thought it appled to my government.

Bruno

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:48 am

Stephen
Concentrated H2O2 Say 90% with petrol etc probably won't spontaniously catch fire. It is not considered a hypergolic propellent. In the 1950's the US Navy was experimenting with H2O2 booster rockets. As a test they filled a pool with H2O2 and fuel which floated on top. Nothing. After lighting the fuel the peroxide finally got hot enough and swoosh bang. So either an Ignitor or a Catalyst is required.
How about squirting H2O2 through a catalyst (with proper precautions) long lever on the syringe, perspex blast shield, start with only a couple of millileters etc etc.

any ideas ?

Stephen
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:35 am

Mark,

My designs call for an ignitor in the form of an epoxy pyrogen valve, so right now, ignition houldnt be a problrm. as soon as they are drawn up, i'll post.

T.

bobdickgus

Post by bobdickgus » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:45 am

marksteamnz wrote:Stephen
Concentrated H2O2 Say 90% with petrol etc probably won't spontaniously catch fire. It is not considered a hypergolic propellent. In the 1950's the US Navy was experimenting with H2O2 booster rockets. As a test they filled a pool with H2O2 and fuel which floated on top. Nothing. After lighting the fuel the peroxide finally got hot enough and swoosh bang. So either an Ignitor or a Catalyst is required.
How about squirting H2O2 through a catalyst (with proper precautions) long lever on the syringe, perspex blast shield, start with only a couple of millileters etc etc.

any ideas ?

Stephen
H2O2 + methanol(probably ethanol aswell) is a hypergolic propellant.
Blah Blah Yackarty Smackarty

Stephen H

Post by Stephen H » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:11 am

Viv wrote: The pressure in the combustion chamber would push the syringe plungers back out of the syringes (quite quickly:-) and blow the fuel all over the you?

Mate! all ways apply the "what if it goes wrong rule" to any idea.

Viv:-)
would this still be the same if the syringes were being held ? i was also thinking of having a sheer bolt or similar system. Thanks for all the replys

Stephen

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:19 am

Any links or details on this. I've been looking and can't find it anywhere. The stuff I can find describes using either a solid catalyst to decompose the peroxide with methanol added to the chamber (Armadillo Aerospace, Roton etc) or the catalyst is mixed with the methanol (Me163)
Maybe it requires 98% peroxide?

H2O2 + methanol(probably ethanol as well) is a hypergolic propellant.[/quote]
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Al Belli

Post by Al Belli » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:14 pm

[quote="marksteamnz"]Any links or details on this. I've been looking and can't find it anywhere. The stuff I can find describes using either a solid catalyst to decompose the peroxide with methanol added to the chamber (Armadillo Aerospace, Roton etc) or the catalyst is mixed with the methanol (Me163)
Maybe it requires 98% peroxide?

H2O2 + methanol(probably ethanol as well) is a hypergolic propellant.[/quote][/quote]

Me-163 program used potassium permanganate dissolved in the methanol
to ensure the hypergolic reaction initiation. This results in purple colored
smoke ! [/quote][quote]