TIG Welding

Moderator: Mike Everman

Pulse_Man
Antipspambot question: 125

TIG Welding

Post by Pulse_Man » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:52 am

Hey all, im a student and i am trying to learn to tig weld both steel and aluminium and i cannot get the settings right on the welder to make the metal join or the weld to look of quality. please help cause i really wanna get this to work

PyroJoe
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: TIG Welding

Post by PyroJoe » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:16 pm

Here is a calculator:
https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/w ... calculator

If you put the type of metal and thickness in it should give a pretty close place to start.

Anecdotally:
You want to start with steel, (make sure to start with clean metal) make a puddle on the joint, point the tungsten rod at a slight angle away from the direction of travel. Dip the feed rod into the puddle next to the arc, and pull the rod out of the puddle as quickly as you dipped it. It takes some practice to get the beads nice, but it is that dip, dip, dip, action in and out of the puddle that makes the nice beads. Make sure your feed rod matches the material your using.

Aluminum I would not recommend until you have many hours of steel work. Aluminum you point the tungsten rod in the direction of travel and the rate of travel is typically much faster than steel.