Tips for starting a big Lockwood hiller.

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bclark215
Antipspambot question: 125

Tips for starting a big Lockwood hiller.

Post by Bclark215 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:00 am

Me and a friend recently built this 55lb jet. download/file.php?id=11410&mode=view
Every thing is welded up and we are at the starting stage, but all we can get is a wooshing sound as fire shoots out the exhaust. It almost seems like ignition is occurring outside of the jet. We have no ignition system yet, and we are simply shoving lit papers into the cc. Is this the problem? Our fuel injector is a 1/2inch steel nipple with 9 or 10, 1/8th inch holes drilled through both sides. The plans don't give a specific location, so we just guessed. Where is the best position for this, and how do we experiment without constantly drilling and rewelding holes? We're on a somewhat limited budget and have a time frame we'd like to meet, therefore we'd like to avoid any major modifications if possible. Thanks!

metiz

Re: Tips for starting a big Lockwood hiller.

Post by metiz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:33 pm

Let's go through the list:

Do you have a restrictor on your propane tank? if so, get rid of it. Also make sure your tank is full and not too cold
Do you use a compressor or a leafblower for starting attempts? Leafblower is probably the way to go.
If you do not have a proper ignition system, try using firework sparklers. They don't blow out/ away like a piece of paper does.

Move around your injector before hacking things off or drilling aditional holes. Do you have a picture of your engine or better yet, a video of your staring attempts?
Quantify the world.

tufty
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by tufty » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:24 pm

Did we mention the Rosscojector yet?

metiz

Post by metiz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:31 pm

tufty wrote:Did we mention the Rosscojector yet?
By golly I don't think we have. Do you want to do the honours?
Quantify the world.

tufty
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by tufty » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:45 pm

<rolls up sleeves>

Okay, for the moment, put away your injector. And your sparkplugs / oily rags / fireworks. Make yourself a rosscojector.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1902#p21887

Make with a 90° bend in it so you can handhold it in the intake without burning your hand off, light it as you slide it into the intake, wiggle it about until your motor runs.

Best thing ever.

Bclark215

Post by Bclark215 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:48 pm

Thanks for the quick replies! No our tank does not have any kind of restrictor to my knowledge. We tried a version of the roscojector utilizing the hole we already had drilled using .5 inch copper tube. Slightly better results, but still not really pulsing. We got some smaller copper tubing(not sure what size, and made a move able injector running through the exhaust, however we smashed the end into the 3 lobed flower looking emd (I think it's possible called the grimjector or something) it's very close to running, but just isn't there yet. I'll try and upload a video of us trying to start it tomorrow when we go back out.

Bclark215

Post by Bclark215 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:09 am

It won't let me upload the video right now, but we finally got it close using a real roscojector. The only thing is it pulses like once a second without air and kinda sounds like a whale calling once per second. When you finally give it a little blast of air, it will sound like it's starting for a second or two, then the flame will go out with a loud bang. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

metiz

Post by metiz » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:43 am

You cab only upload video's up to 2mb to the forum. Upload to youtube and post the link here. It kinda sounds like maybe your Rosscojector slit might be too tight, blowing the gas and combustion towards the exhaust pipe. That's what causes the howling and popping
Quantify the world.