M500 build log

Moderator: Mike Everman

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: M500 build log

Post by metiz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:57 pm

Finished the 2nd half of the tailcone, welded said tailcone and finished welding the intakes. All that is left now is intake flarecones.

If anyone knows where I can roll large cones, or at what kind of company, let me know.
Attachments
100_3417.JPG
100_3420.JPG
100_3415.JPG
100_3414.JPG
Quantify the world.

metiz

Post by metiz » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:08 pm

In the end I had to build my own sliproll to get the sheets bend. Except for the endcap and the augmenters, the engine is done.
here are some pics http://imgur.com/a/0U7aH
Quantify the world.

ganuganu

Post by ganuganu » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:20 am

wow wow wow wow :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: great absolutely great, looks gigantic its surely gonna be a tough job to fuel this monster. What is the overall length of the engine?

metiz

Post by metiz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:52 am

about 2800mm. Commonrail fuel injection has been mentioned
Quantify the world.

JimN

Post by JimN » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:33 pm

HAHAHA!
Thats AWESOME!

A wise man once told me that "Everything you do, can be done better with a big one".
And it looks like we aren´t the only ones who have adopted that philosophy.
I really REALLY hope that this thing will run.

About the fueling issue:
I don´t know much about valveless engines so i have no idea if this would work but on our big valved engine we use 6 electric fuelpumps and 12 big oil burner nozzles. I don´t remember the flow and pressure values right now but i can get them for you if you wish.

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:15 pm

Yikes!!!!
Nice build. I think I will be able to hear it!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Haha!
I've been in Croatia again for a while. But when I left Holland was a safe place to be; now? not so sure anymore .... :lol: :lol:
I know that garden, I know that shed; guys, believe me, it looks all much smaller on the pictures. It's just awesome.

Metiz, want to put this one also on your skateboard attached to a measuring scale for thrust measurements? :lol:
And just a rope and a spike in the ground to withhold it from flying away?? :roll:

Guess I have to start looking for my collection of fuel pumps and nozzles now?

Still think you should make some reinforcements against collapsing, the thickness is like you made a M5 out of alu foil. I have some ideas how to make reinforcements that still allow thermal expansion.

Fedde
Your scepticism is fuel for my brain.

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:01 pm

Jim,

The more details the better, also about failures etc.
Share them here please.

Fedde

metiz

Post by metiz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:45 pm

ace_fedde wrote:
Metiz, want to put this one also on your skateboard attached to a measuring scale for thrust measurements? :lol:
And just a rope and a spike in the ground to withhold it from flying away?? :roll:

Fedde
Sounds like a plan! :P I'll build a frame where the engine rests in. Should the whole thing move for the thrust measurements or should I build it so that the engine can move inside the frame?
ace_fedde wrote: Guess I have to start looking for my collection of fuel pumps and nozzles now?
Fedde
At this point I have no sollid plan for fueling so any help would, well, help :P
ace_fedde wrote: Still think you should make some reinforcements against collapsing, the thickness is like you made a M5 out of alu foil. I have some ideas how to make reinforcements that still allow thermal expansion.
Fedde
Yes, reinforcements will be put in place. The tailcone and tailpipe are particularly vunrable; the choke could use some strengthening as well.

The engine must be started remotely. Due to the design, the gap between the intakes and ejectors (working on it) will emit very dangerous, potentially even lethal pressure waves. fuel and ignition shouldn't be that much of a problem but air is. A friend suggested to either: retrofit some old propanetanks so I can use them as air tanks and then use a QRV to dump air in the engine, not unlike Maddox does, or get a small 2-3hp motor, strap on a propellor and build a duct around it to create, basically, a big leafblower.

As for the pressure waves: I was thinking about cooking up some sort of burst-disc to see if the waves are harmfull. Any suggestions on how to do this? maybe some layers of paper/ foil?
Quantify the world.

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:01 pm

I was first going to recommend flanges as reinforcements. But flanges will locally reduce the possibility for thermal expansion:
flanges.gif
flanges.gif (3.1 KiB) Viewed 13085 times
This "choking" of the radial thermal expansion and the fact that stainless tends to get brittle and cracky (on a molecular level) after heating, might cause even more dangerous situations than without reinforcements.

You can make though flanges out of wire, they will allow expansion:
wire flanges.gif
In the same way you can also interconnect the flanges with wire, so they will give strenght but still allow longitudal expansion. Only not the way I've drawn it here, it will torque the PJ as it expands longitudal :oops: , better change direction from flange to flange (left/right).

Fedde

luc

Post by luc » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:27 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Yikes!!!!
Nice build. I think I will be able to hear it!
Yeaaaaa ... Me too up here in Canada ... :lol:
Luc
Designer & Inventor

keith mcconnell

Post by keith mcconnell » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:48 am

How's the build going? I'm curious on how you are going to design your fuel system. Fueling was always an issue with my big lockwoods.
Keith

luc

Post by luc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:07 pm

keith mcconnell wrote:How's the build going? I'm curious on how you are going to design your fuel system. Fueling was always an issue with my big lockwoods.
Keith
Naaaaaaaa ... I've designed a very effective fuel evaporator/injector that he can find the drawings for in my gas turbine posting and use it for his big lockwood.

This evaporator/injector can vaporize liquid propane @ 50 psig. fed through a 1/4" line no problems, providing our friend here with all the power he need and wants.

cheers,
Luc
Designer & Inventor

luc

Post by luc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:12 pm

Here ... Go see this;

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6373#p74659
Luc
Designer & Inventor

metiz

Post by metiz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Sweet! will that work wor something like gasoline as well?

I've been trying to scrounge up enough steel for the augmenters.
Quantify the world.