pulsejet go kart

Moderator: Mike Everman

ganuganu
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: pulsejet go kart

Post by ganuganu » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:18 pm

now here is the augmenter design i have made using the standard formulas..there is no problem in warming up the tank here the temp will always be 35 to 38deg celcius..now here i have a question when i wrap the augmenter around the mid pipe the dia in the aug will be reduced how do i fix it..
Attachments
augs.jpg

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:37 pm

ha,
Dont worry about that size augmentor being to small. I would like to see it extended to 48.5cm in total length, to help better match the length of the engine. When you see it run, you will probably understand why.

Make the augmentor of thin, light weight steel. Strong enough to keep its shape, but light in weight.

ganuganu

Post by ganuganu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:02 am

k i think now iam ready with everything..shall i start making the engine..or any dimensions to be changed..looks like my dream is gonna be true..

note: any chances to reduce the length of the mid section,if so does it increase the thrust..

ganuganu

Post by ganuganu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:46 pm

this is just out of curiosity please Dont mistake me what happens if i reduce the mid section pipe length to 40.8cm WILL the thrust increase or decrease..
Attachments
Jk5.jpg

ganuganu

Post by ganuganu » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:57 pm

sorry for not updating for one week i have submitted my project to a company for getting sponsor so they were reviewing my project.They accepted to sponsor me i will start the project from next week because this week i have got theory exams..see you all soon with the engine..

ganuganu

Post by ganuganu » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:20 pm

Here is the beast ready to run, tomorrow i will buy a gas tank and run the engine. Take a look at the pictures.
Attachments
04012012632.jpg
04012012631.jpg
04012012630.jpg

kevin lee

Post by kevin lee » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Awesome mate :)

Good luck with it, its a beast for sure! Looking forward to the videos. Remember your ear protection ;)

ganuganu

Post by ganuganu » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:52 am

Today morning i tried to start the engine, after seeing the performance i think engine was fuel hunger. I used 14.2kg gas tank but there was only 11kg in the cylinder. So i thought to use two cylinders, but here i have a doubt in how to control two tanks at a time. Please give me an idea.

observations:
1. At the first try i heard growling sounds and slowly i increased the fuel flow the growling sound became banging sound and reached to a particular frequency and suddenly puts off.
2. When i tried to start the engine by inverting the cylinder it gave good banging sounds and goes to particular frequency and puts off.
So what can i do now, can i use two cylinders to start the engine.

kevin lee

Post by kevin lee » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:01 am

Sorry I can't help with starting problems!

But I do know that you can buy pipework, to join multiple bottles together, for caravans!

Another option would be to use brake line tee piece from a car. The using s flaring tool you can flare and screw your brake lines together from each bottle. Join the copper pipe to the rubber bottles pipes as normal.

Are there videos on your YouTube channel?

Kev

ganuganu

Post by ganuganu » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:28 am

@kevin lee no there are no videos about this engine in my channel.

Joe can you help me here.
Today morning i tried to start the engine, after seeing the performance i think engine was fuel hunger. I used 14.2kg gas tank but there was only 11kg in the cylinder. So i thought to use two cylinders, but here i have a doubt in how to control two tanks at a time. Please give me an idea.

observations:
1. At the first try i heard growling sounds and slowly i increased the fuel flow the growling sound became banging sound and reached to a particular frequency and suddenly puts off.
2. When i tried to start the engine by inverting the cylinder it gave good banging sounds and goes to particular frequency and puts off.
EDIT: If i close one of the intakes engine gets to nearly start. That is i can hear the continuous annoying roar alternately.
So what can i do now, can i use two cylinders to start the engine.

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:45 pm

On the Kraken I used a hose to equalize the pressure of the 2 tanks. (shown in circled in red) It was attached with brass tee shown.

Straight pipe intakes attached to a cone tend to have elongated ports. I typically consider these to have a lower aerodynamic valving effect. It may very well require closing off one intake to achieve a bias flow toward the exhaust pipe.
Attachments
brass-tee.jpg
brass-tee.jpg (10.74 KiB) Viewed 10704 times
2tanks.jpg

ganuganu

Post by ganuganu » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Ok do you say me to completely remove one of the intake or just close it with cover plate. At first time i closed two intakes there was only banging sounds(no compressed air applied), then i opened one of the intakes and surprisingly engine started and threw the cloth away after which engine put off.
i have a doubt here if i remove one of the intake will it affect the total thrust???? will i be able to achieve more than 35pounds of thrust..

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:34 pm

Just cover plate one intake. I don't think it will make 35 pounds without an intake augmentor, but I could be wrong.

It would be best to have both tanks completely filled. Now that you have 2 tanks and can connect them it may be useful to start your M40 also.

ganuganu

Post by ganuganu » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:27 am

Do i have to open both the gas valve at a time to start or first to open one of the valve. And the alignment of three intakes is 90deg is it ok, because if we use three intakes each will be placed at an angle of 120deg. This is the augmenter iam goign to use.
Attachments
bellmo.jpg

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:16 pm

3 intakes at 90 degrees is ok. The augmenter will need to match the intakes. Try not to build to much difference diameter between the front of the augmentor and the back, It needs to be slightly shorter than the mid section pipe.

I'll sketch a augmentor to show how to reduce it. Only tack weld the front and use a band or hose clamp on the rear of the augmentor. Also the tail may bend slightly to un even heat / thermal expansion.

To start:
One tank valve is opened 1/2 throttle for 18 seconds to heat the tailpipe and throat of the cone. Then the second tank valve is opened 1/2, then open both to full throttle at the same rate. As each tank is approaching full throttle it should lock in.

You will only have enough time for 2 or 3 tries, then the tanks will be cold. After it starts it will only run a short time and the tanks will frost over.

Be aware that when it locks in it may jump or lurch forward. Secure the engine in a robust manner.
Attachments
3FOURTHAUG.JPG
--NOT TO SCALE--
3FOURTHAUG.JPG (9.77 KiB) Viewed 10638 times