Pulsejet in Singapore

Moderator: Mike Everman

tobiasbt
Antipspambot question: 125

Pulsejet in Singapore

Post by tobiasbt » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:34 am

Hello :D

I'm a new member here, and would like to ask for advises in building and running the pulsejet.

I'm planning to build a valveless pulsejet for research in Singapore. Rather than using it for thrust, the company I worked for wanted to see if the exhaust gas can be applied for drying. The thing is, this is the very first time we're building something like this, and I would like to hear some advises on these issues:

1. Design
For the initial experiments, I want to build a very simple design. Is it possible to run a 'straight' type of valveless pulsejet?
Basically, I got the dimensions from the Pulsejet Calculator v1.4 (for a 5 kg thrust), but without the valves, and will be using a sparkplug for starting.
Also, I plan to use propane for fuel.

Will it work? I understand that in the end we still need to 'play around with it' to get it to run. But of course I hope I don't miss out any vital elements :)

2. Safety
I have read in this forum that propane itself is not combustible without air, thus we won't have any 'flash-back'. Still, my supervisors are very concerned about the safety of running a pulsejet - they're worried about the possibility of an explosion, fire hazards, loud noise, etc.
So, they propose to build something like a protective hood/encasement for it.

Has anybody encountered any accidents with the pulsejet? Or, has anybody build this kind of encasement before?

Ok, I think that's all for now from me..sorry for the proper lack of introduction. The research is still in a preliminary stages, and I don't think there is anybody working on a pulsejet in Singapore..thus I turn to this forum :)

Thanks!! :)

Regards,
Toby

ganuganu

Re: Pulsejet in Singapore

Post by ganuganu » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:28 am

use these plans made by me, its really a quick starter and uses only straight pipes puts out 10pounds thrust.
Attachments
SSI.jpg

tobiasbt

Post by tobiasbt » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:44 am

@ganuganu:

Thanks!! Have you tried building it yourself?

Jutte
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Jutte » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:31 am

Hi Tobiasbt,
Valveless Pulse jets have been/and are used in the drying of various slurried materials.
Most are a deriative of the Lockwood Valveless. I suggest you do an internet search on the topic of Industrial Drying.
The main problems are noise, fuel consumption and vibration absorption.
But for large volume drying of industrial materials they do the job effectively.
Hope that helps...

ganuganu

Post by ganuganu » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:18 am

tobiasbt

Post by tobiasbt » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:23 am

@jutte: Thanks for the info. I'm still doing some reading on the subject, and wanted to have some hands-on experience with a pulse combustor (pulse jet), hence the need for experiment.

@ganuganu: Nice vids you got there :) How did you start the jet anyway? Sparkplug? Any concern for fire or explosion?

Thanks !!

ganuganu

Post by ganuganu » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:21 am

no sparkplugs used sparkler to start the engine. And there is no risk for explosion seriously you will enjoy starting it.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Fire, yes there is a risk. Do it outside, keep the wind at your back, safety glasses, gloves, long sleeve cotton shirt, etc. Propane is a good fuel, fireballs go up and do not stick to you if you find yourself in the wrong place.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

tobiasbt

Post by tobiasbt » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:57 am

@ Mike: Thanks. I will keep that advice in mind.

@ganu: btw, have you ever measured the flow speed and temperature from the exhaust? Any idea how to measure them? I was thinking to use thermocouples for the temperature, and maybe an airflow meter for the speed. But if the temperature is too high, I'm not sure if the airflow meter can withstand it.

Thanks for the replies, everyone :)

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:54 pm

for average airspeed, if you can get an aircraft airspeed indicator you can just put a long metal tube on it with a bend. the heat will not get to the indicator.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

tobiasbt

Post by tobiasbt » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:57 am

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the late reply.

I decided to try and build a small pulsejet for my experiment. As this is my very first time working with a pulsejet, I'm thinking of making something simple and small.
Referring to the rough sketch attached, do you guys think it will work?
At this stage, my only concern is to get it work (having a pulsating combustion).

Oh, and the unit in the sketch is in milimeters.

Thanks!!

Regards,
Toby
Attachments
small combustor.pdf
(11.01 KiB) Downloaded 403 times