100_2201.jpg
100_2199.jpg
100_2198.jpg
Quantify the world.

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Odd Metal jars

Post by metiz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:19 pm

Finished the jar. I tried to run it on some alcohol based cleaner. It runs between 1 and 3 seconds before quiting. But even after about 3 runs or so, the water I put in the jacket was nice and toasty :)

The results were as predicted. The alcohol stuff is pretty much the best fuel I can easily get around here.

Anyone know where I can get some methanol in the NL?
Attachments
100_2204.jpg
100_2203.jpg
Quantify the world.

metiz

Post by metiz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Turns out moderating the fuel increases the runtimes by 50 seconds :)

here's the link to the video if anyone's interested http://www.mediafire.com/?zvbjemd9r39mdeb

The last run had steam coming from the pipes, fun times.
Quantify the world.

metiz

Post by metiz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:38 pm

Wow, this is getting more and more interesting!

I've been running the pot with white spirit and the water jacket full of water. I've ordered the parts for the cooling system. Strangely enough, this thing loves being realy hot! it works a lot better like that. When the water is boiling and gushing out of the tubes, it runs like a dream. Furthermore, I tried adding fuel when it was running using a needle. I placed the needle just inside the internal duct...and it reved up like crazy :lol:

I got a bit to carried away of course and drowned it, but still, this has some potential. It means that if you could make some sort of drip feed, prefably under the fuel level in the bottom of the jar, in combination with the active cooling system, you could probably get this thing to run indefinately as well, without the finicky propane system...AWESOME!

Nick, you're the man! 5 free internets for you!
Quantify the world.

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Good work!
I enjoy watching all the details.

metiz

Post by metiz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:59 pm

Here's a video of me adding fuel when the jar's running

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCjTZCoArnw
Quantify the world.

Nick
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:03 pm

metiz wrote:Wow, this is getting more and more interesting!

I've been running the pot with white spirit and the water jacket full of water. I've ordered the parts for the cooling system. Strangely enough, this thing loves being realy hot! it works a lot better like that. When the water is boiling and gushing out of the tubes, it runs like a dream. Furthermore, I tried adding fuel when it was running using a needle. I placed the needle just inside the internal duct...and it reved up like crazy :lol:

I got a bit to carried away of course and drowned it, but still, this has some potential. It means that if you could make some sort of drip feed, prefably under the fuel level in the bottom of the jar, in combination with the active cooling system, you could probably get this thing to run indefinately as well, without the finicky propane system...AWESOME!

Nick, you're the man! 5 free internets for you!
You are welcome mate, looking forward to hearing more of your exploits and seeing the running on gas experiments :D

Nick

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:18 pm

Nick,
Do you think it is important that the cooling water be circulated from the bottom of the coolant jacket and out near the top? Or does it not make much difference?

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi Joe,

personally i set up the cooling so that it would thermo siphon, so i have the cooling pipes- one at the top one at the bottom, i just think its a bit more efficient.

great stuff though Matiz :D

Viv will recall the tests we did with my version - I did very similar stuff with a syringe and various fuels, if you can get it hot enough it will run on veg oil too , try it :D

Nick

metiz

Post by metiz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Haha I'll try tomorrow :D

I've been mucking about with propane a bit and I've been able to get the same kind of response as with white spirit injection. I can even throttle a bit. Of yeah, I just use a flat 5mm injector hooked up to a no-restriction 11kg propane tank, using only the bottle valve for fuel control. It's all in the wrist :lol:
Quantify the world.

metiz

Post by metiz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Ha! got it to run on propane! The water was getting to hot, even though it was running though a copper coil before going back in the resevoir. Had to stop it or my pump would die. I'll get a video next :D
Quantify the world.

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:38 pm

wooohooo man that was fast! video, video, video! :D
Attachments
WhyWithHands.png
WhyWithHands.png (26.57 KiB) Viewed 9273 times

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:05 pm

metiz wrote:Ha! got it to run on propane! The water was getting to hot, even though it was running though a copper coil before going back in the resevoir. Had to stop it or my pump would die. I'll get a video next :D

Cool beans buddy!!,

get yourself a heatsink/radiator etc and then...... who knows?? a Reynst jet conference? time trials? fuel efficiency tests? :D

Well done though mate, looks like the design can do things (run on gas etc) that others have failed to do!!.
The really really exciting thing is that you have proved the design, we can say build it like this and it will run! that's no mean feat!.

looking forward to more updates

Nick

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:17 pm

Nick wrote:Hi Joe,

personally i set up the cooling so that it would thermo siphon, so i have the cooling pipes- one at the top one at the bottom, i just think its a bit more efficient.

great stuff though Matiz :D

Viv will recall the tests we did with my version - I did very similar stuff with a syringe and various fuels, if you can get it hot enough it will run on veg oil too , try it :D

Nick
Yes, remember it well it was a fun day of PJ testing and the pots ran and ran, I was surprised how well they did run and how fast they made significant amounts of heat.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

metiz

Post by metiz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:09 am

Hey guys

I've been running this thing all day, inhaled some methanol fumes and I'm realy tired (unrelated!). After moving the coil, I could not get a 2nd permanent run, only a couple of shorter ones. I realy need to get a more acurate valve, the one on the 11kg propane tank's a bitch :P

Here's a vid, read the description for more info.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I91qCm-I1h8

I'll see if I can find a small radiator tomorrow
Quantify the world.