Idea for Adjustable Fuel Injector

Moderator: Mike Everman

HPSCL
Antipspambot question: 125

Idea for Adjustable Fuel Injector

Post by HPSCL » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:00 pm

.....The inside diameter (If I'm not mistaken) of 5/16" Steel BrakeLine is 1/4" and the O.D. of 1/4" Steel BrakeLine is (of course) 1/4" . - If you were to sleeve the 1/4" BrakeLine, with 5/16" Brakeline...
FI1.jpg
The fuel injector tip would need to be fabricated on a lathe, or could be hand-made out of a piece of 3/16" Steel Rod. The injector holes would be drilled with a NO. 65 drill bit (or larger, for larger pulse jets)
.....While you're trying to start your newly-fabricated pulse jet, this sleeve could be slowly pulled back until your engine began to "growl". Further adjustment could be made once the engine was running, until you found an optimal setting...
GSFI1large.jpg
3D Drawing of 1/4" Steel line, inside of 5/16" Steel line, with injector tip in place. The tapered point is obvious, for smoother airflow. The tip acts as a plug, for the end of the 1/4" Steel line.
.....As the 5/16" Steel BrakeLine is pulled back, more holes are exposed...
GSFI2large.jpg
With only a partial area of the holes exposed, the fuel flow AND spray pattern would be infinitely adjustable.
.....With a large amount of holes exposed, the injector could possibly be used to fuel engines as large as a Lockwood-Hiller...
GSFI3large.jpg
All holes exposed
.....With all the pictures shown, the only thing missing is a piece of 5/16" RUBBER fuel line and some hose clamps, to seal the other end of the line...
hose clamps.JPG
Double-clamped w/ clamp screws 180° apart.

keith mcconnell

Re: Idea for Adjustable Fuel Injector

Post by keith mcconnell » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:02 pm

That looks like a pretty cool idea. I might have to try it out on the big lockwood. Any ideas on how many holes you think to run a big lockwood?

Keith

HPSCL

Re: Idea for Adjustable Fuel Injector

Post by HPSCL » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:13 am

keith mcconnell wrote:That looks like a pretty cool idea. I might have to try it out on the big lockwood. Any ideas on how many holes you think to run a big lockwood?

Keith
I found a pdf file on the fuel rail for a large pulsejet, on this topic: Lockwood Help

16 holes (8 sets of 2; holes were drilled straight-thru) @ 0.078" each (#47 drill bit) have a total surface area of 0.076+"

12 holes (6 sets of 2; holes drilled straight-thru) @ 0.059" each (#53 drill bit ) have a total surface area of 0.032+"

Total surface area of 0.109"

With a No. 65 drill bit (as I had suggested) , you would need 57 sets of 2 (or 114 holes) - - - My drawing showed each row as having 12 holes each (each hole being 30 degrees apart).
You would need to expose 9 rows of holes and half of the 10th row.

... My best guesstimate, as I really have no clue.