Please put your "I am new and need help" question here.

Moderator: Mike Everman

cactvs
Antipspambot question: 125

can't get my first thermojet to start?

Post by cactvs » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:00 pm

First try with no math involved.
CC is 4.5" long and 3" in diameter. Intakes positioned on either side of the exhaust are 5/8" by 3.5" (flared).
Exhaust is 1" by 16.5". Propane injection from two 1/8" copper lines positioned in the flare of the intakes. Spark plug mounted opposite exhaust on other end of CC.
Won't start on spark, won't start with flame to one injector and air to the other, won't start with air and flame to one injector,
won't start with flame to the exhaust. I have a high pressure regulator so I have tried anywhere from zero to 60 psi.

Am I even close with the dimensions?

Just a newbie trying to learn by trial and error and FAILING so far.

metiz

Re: Please put your "I am new and need help" question here.

Post by metiz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:45 pm

It's a thermojet so you're always pretty close :lol:

I'd say decrease the intakes by 33mm. add a couple of mm to that to get a decent flare on your intakes
remove the restrictor from your propane tank
either make some rosscojectors or move your injectors further inside your intakes, say 30/50%
if you can't get the gas to light with your sparkplug, light a sparkler and toss it through the tailpipe into the cc, that'll get things started. don't be to agressive with the air, you'll only need a puff with a thermo like that
Quantify the world.

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:15 pm

I agree with metiz,

Intake looks a little long by about 0.71", also my stuff shows the tail is about 1.5" to short to start easily.

I would adjust the intakes first, an see how she does, if no joy, would weld a 3" extension on the tail and start shaving 0.25" slices off until she starts easy.

Echoing the above: remove the restrictor from your propane tank

Best of luck, an keep trying, its really nice when they fire up.

Joe

cactvs

Post by cactvs » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:28 pm

Thanks guys.
I will try shortening the intakes and deepening the injectors first.
Hopefully I will get some pops to at least let me know I am making progress.

Thanks again...

metiz

Post by metiz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:43 pm

you must also do away with the restrictor. this is rather important if you want your engine to run on a higher setting than stationairy. It will also help greatly with starting attempts.
Quantify the world.

cactvs

Post by cactvs » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:16 am

No regulator? Even if it goes to 60 psi?
I guess I am unclear if need more volume of fuel or more velocity.

metiz

Post by metiz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:26 am

Yep, even if it goes to 60. Tbh, you'll probably get it going with the regulator but it will not go a lot higher than stationairy, and that is asuming your engine has all the right proportions to run at low throttle. Just get rid of it to be sure. You can get some direct feed fittings for under 5$.

And to answer your question: you need more volume. and with volume comes speed if needed
Quantify the world.

nickwilson

Post by nickwilson » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:55 pm

Ok this is what i think. I dont know a quarter of what metiz or pyrojoe knows but with my expernce your injectors seem a bit large and when i first started thies things i used a shopvac and you have a small pj so that would work to not force feed it too much air and you did not say what type of injectors you are useing or what your gap is on the injectors that could be a big part of it not runing I have made some crazy thing run with trail and error

cactvs

Post by cactvs » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Haven't had time to work on it yet.
Thanks again for your help, guys.
I will keep you posted.

NeoFast

Post by NeoFast » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:43 am

Hey guys, I am a newb and I hope I am putting this in the right place. I have been doing lots of reading on here as well as other places. I have been compiling a list of drawings, formulas, ideas etc. One thing that I have not seen, however, is a discussion on various fuel types. Any ideas on a good place to get information a various fuel types?

I have seen several using propane to run and or start. Also methanol, and even a comment about using straight diesel. I am interested in how valveless pulsejet engines react with different fuel types. I.E. run stability, ease of ignition, etc.
Any help would be a great. Thanks and have a great day.

Zaitsev

Post by Zaitsev » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:37 am

How much Thicker does the steel that makes up the combustion chamber compared to the rest of it?

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:15 am

No need to make it thicker. You go thicker with carbon steel to get your engine to last longer before rusting out. On stainless, you can go quite thin, like .03" (.75mm) on motors that are less than 1m in length. You need more thickness to resist collapse on the low pressure part of the cycle.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

alf

Post by alf » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:15 pm

hi,

i am a total beginner, and i want to make a pulse jet engine, i dont particularly want the engine to be useful for propulsion purposes, or efficient for that matter, i just want it to work reasonably well lol, what engine is the best engine for a complete beginner to build?, should i use atomisation or direct injection?, and a few questions -

i want my engine to consist of a tail pipe, combustion chamber, air intake pipe, and a spark plug for starting, and a fuel pipe going into the intake pipe, like this one - http://www.cottrillcyclodyne.com/ElektraI/Elektra_I.gif,

i have a piezo electric sparker to use for starting ignition, and i can find a sparkplug lying about, thats not a problem, but my question is -

once the engine is started and running, is the propane gas supply constant?
can the propane canister be directly connected to the intake pipe, via a valve?
and will the engine suck in its own air once its running, and also -

do i have to build the engine correctly so that the fuel air mixture will be adjusted automatically when throttling,
or do i merely have to build the engine, find the correct fuel amount, and when its running, increase the fuel amount being supplied to increase its thrust?

thanks in advance, Alf.

metiz

Post by metiz » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:48 pm

alf wrote: i am a total beginner, and i want to make a pulse jet engine, i dont particularly want the engine to be useful for propulsion purposes, or efficient for that matter, i just want it to work reasonably well lol, what engine is the best engine for a complete beginner to build?
This one
alf wrote: once the engine is started and running, is the propane gas supply constant?
Yes.
alf wrote: can the propane canister be directly connected to the intake pipe, via a valve?
No.
alf wrote: and will the engine suck in its own air once its running
Yes.
alf wrote: do i have to build the engine correctly so that the fuel air mixture will be adjusted automatically when throttling,
or do i merely have to build the engine, find the correct fuel amount, and when its running, increase the fuel amount being supplied to increase its thrust?
Increasing or decreasing fuel wil throttle the engine up or down.
Quantify the world.

walker925

Post by walker925 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:33 pm

i'm only getting pops and bangs now. anything i can do to make it sustain?
100MEDIA_IMAG0038.jpg