metal jam jar experiments

Moderator: Mike Everman

Ghrey
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: metal jam jar experiments

Post by Ghrey » Sat May 01, 2010 8:17 am

That first one has jumped a few times ( and then tipped over ), fun but panic causing. Nitro fuel is nuts....

Have not gotten a good run out of short stuff yet, but that is owing I suspect to the short tail and a design variation...
I will post again then I have a completed tail and some run time on that one. I think I have about figured our carbonation for these little joy buzzers, more on that alas, later...

The old bench has a bit of a deposit, all bits 'o fun...

Oddly I have not managed to disturb the neighbors //yet//...

more later.

Cheers
In the process of moving, from the glorified phone booth we had to the house we have.

No real time to work on jets, more space, no time.

Life still complicated.

Ghrey

More Metal silliness

Post by Ghrey » Tue May 11, 2010 9:36 am

The start of a little experiment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vurWsyQIvZ8

Not impressive per se but amusing.

Yah I mumble to much...
In the process of moving, from the glorified phone booth we had to the house we have.

Life still complicated.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed May 12, 2010 1:41 am

Kind of reminds me of my jam jar but for the cone-shaped top and height, the diameter is the same. With methanol it will run for a few minutes.
Attachments
Two inch diameter plumbing pipe jam jar.jpg
Presentation is Everything

Ghrey

Post by Ghrey » Wed May 12, 2010 6:36 am

Mine runs for a wile on good fuel as well. I was a bit surprised that it ran at all on old half died PVC primer, but it did, all be it briefly.

Just for the record; 1x 2" dia. x 3" long pipe nipple, 2x 2" pipe caps, one of the caps has a 31/64" dia. hole in the center.
A simple build.

Yours is prettier, by far, but there is method to my madness.....

Cheers

Life still complicated.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun May 16, 2010 1:34 pm

I can just imagine a funny scenario where the cashier rings up the purchase of two caps and a length of pipe and you say you are making a jam jar. ha
I remember when at the time President Bush was in town and a fellow from the hardware store stopped in the library. He said the Secret Service had come in the store asking if anyone had bought anything suspicious. How funny it would be to have been buying the components for a jam jar at the time, explaining how you were going to drill a small hole in one end and all. ha

Ghrey

Post by Ghrey » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:27 am

I make it a habit NOT to talk too much about what I am using this stuff for when I am buying parts.....

It's just simpler...

More soon.

Life still complicated.

Ghrey

Post by Ghrey » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:04 am

Ok I finally broke down and made a glass version ( (s) actually ) of my little can that I have been calling ThermoJam, lousy fuel renders the tests less than beautiful, but I shot film ( well digital video... )

Any way it can all be found here http://www.youtube.com/user/dszqujd#p/u

More later.

Life still complicated.

VicHanby
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by VicHanby » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:54 am

This is one I built to look at alternate fuels to methanol - didn't think the rice pudding tins were strong enough. It's just a length of 3" pipe and some flanges. The health and safety police at the university stopped me working on it but it runs for quite some time if you put it in a bucket of water.

Vic
Attachments
PICT0017.jpg

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:07 pm

Sometimes for me I noticed my "jars" become slightly more sensitive/fragile if the hole is in a depression. Not always but sometimes. Did you have any luck with alternative fuels? It's a neat looking jar in its own way.
I made a pulsejet out of some 3 inch plumbing pipe, the combustion chamber is 3 inch diameter that is. Often it will start on the first pop if primed/wetted/misted with methanol first. No starting air needed. From silence to vuvuzela. ha