SR-71 Pulse Jet Engine test run VIDEO

Moderator: Mike Everman

Rocket Man
Antipspambot question: 125

SR-71 Pulse Jet Engine test run VIDEO

Post by Rocket Man » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:46 am

Another one of my new engines 3 minute test run on video. This video is the 4th test run. Since the video I have done several more test runs 5 min to 15 min each for a total of almost 2 hours of static runs. The reed valves look like they have never been used. No noticable heat exposure, no crack, no damage at all. Perfect.

VIDEO. http://www.youtube.com/user/Lowracerman ... 5KInr3C9vQ

SR-71 Pulse Jet Engine started easy on 2 psi propane gas and throttles up to 9 psi static thrust. Fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber exactly like the Germans did the V1 engine. I used the spark plug hole for the fuel injector. The engine produces 5 lbs of thrust at 100% throttle, 4 lbs of thrust at 80% throttle, 3 lbs thrust at 60% throttle, 2 lbs thrust at 40% throttle. The engine design protects the reed valves from heat, there is no noticable heat getting to the reed valves after a 5 minute static test run at 80% throttle. The engine starts very easy at 30% or 40% throttle. The air intake allows the engine to produce 7 lbs of thrust running at 140% throttle in a static test run with 150 mph Ram Intake air from a leaf blower. This engine uses a Dyna Jet Reed Valve made of .010" blue spring steel. I make my own reed valve by cutting them out by hand with tin snips. The engine has no spark plug I started this engine using a propane torch at the exhaust pipe the propane psi was set to start at 40% throttle. You can not hear me throttle the engine up to 80% thrust in the video but you can see the engine moving forward in the test stand as the thrust gets stronger it stretches the spring more. I have another test stand with a steel cable that lifts a container of water. I can weigh the water to get a very accurate thrust measurement. Notice the front 2" of the engine does not get RED HOT the new engine design produces more kenetic energy that sucks the combustion chamber flame away from the reed valves. Also the new reed valve retainer protects the flame from getting to the reed valves. After a 5 minute static test run at 80% throttle the reed valves show no signed of being exposed to heat. This engine will run on propane, gasoline or alcohol.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/ ... -71-01.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/ ... -71-02.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/ ... -71-03.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/ ... -71-04.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/ ... ckbird.jpg

Johansson
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: SR-71 Pulse Jet Engine test run VIDEO

Post by Johansson » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:32 am

Great work! :D

Kool

Post by Kool » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:20 pm

fantastic engine :)
...It's better to generate heat efficiently, than recover it efficiently...

Pulso-Noob

Post by Pulso-Noob » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:12 pm

Hi

What a beauty!! The design of the air intake looks cool :D And looks a bit easier to build than other designs.... am i right?

Have you got some plans for your pulsos? And if yes - Can i get them? :wink:

Cheers!

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:55 am

I have my notes, that is almost the same as plans. What is your email address?

Pulso-Noob

Post by Pulso-Noob » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:22 pm

Hi Rocketman

That would be great!

PM me and I'll provide an email address.

Thanks in advance and greetz,

The Noob

Pulso-Noob

Post by Pulso-Noob » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi

does it work with the e-mail adress?

cheers!

Gmc

Post by Gmc » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:23 am

could you use the front air-inlet in to a turbine capable of sending more air compressed on a shaft which could increase the thrust of the engine this would also let you use a electric motor to start the engine also

daltontechnogeek

Post by daltontechnogeek » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:45 am

Can this engine scale up in size efficiently?

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:06 am

daltontechnogeek wrote:Can this engine scale up in size efficiently?
I built one that is 20 lb thrust. Once you get up to a certain size engine the star type reed valves will not work because you can not get the required number of valves in the small space needed. You can built larger star type reed valves then you run into the problem the valves will not open and close fast enough. The valves must be able to open and close at the same frequency of the engine. Larger engines need Argus type reed valves.

gary

Post by gary » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:46 am

Hi Rocketman,
This is a beautiful valved engine you've built !!!! It has amazing performance from a small diameter package.

Would you please post some pictures of your 20 lbs thrust version ??? I think I have seen the video of it attached to the table of a Bridgeport mill. Is that jet an enlarged variant of this smaller one ??? Would you share your engine notes on either or both engines with me ???

As you can see I'm a brand new fellow here but have experimented with some pulsejets over the years as well as gathering archival info on past classics. Some very interesting historical valved pulsejet info has vanished in the post WW-II era along with the pioneers. Thanks your you very encouraging information.

Gary in AZ

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:52 am

Where are you in AZ? I am moving to the Phoenix area I have been looking for a house with a workshop but so far workshops are NOT allowed in AZ.

Here is the video of the 20 lbs pulse jet. I have 2 of these, 1 with argus valves and 1 with reed valves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VNyTsUT2Xg

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:06 pm

Wow, great work, Rocket!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.