Reed Valves for 110 lbf Globe/Solar Pulsejet

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mr.B
Antipspambot question: 0

re: Reed Valves for 110 lbf Globe/Solar Pulsejet

Post by Mr.B » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:12 pm

Nickel valves last a very long time, so I've heard....

Jim Berquist

re: Reed Valves for 110 lb Globe/Solar Pulsejet

Post by Jim Berquist » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:58 pm

I don't know about Nickle! It is hard as hell and I would think it would be too brittle, thin enough to be used as a valve.. I would think that it would chip, crack and fracture......Just my thoughts.....The tool grade shim stock seems to be What people prefer today! What did they use on the Argus???

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:51 am

One use for nickel.
Mark
http://tinyurl.com/zdtvk
Presentation is Everything

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:21 pm

In Dr Robert Goddard's desert rocket experiments in the 1930s, the combustion chambers were fashioned from sheet nickel. The appearance and workmanship were excellent (I have seen many on-site photos), and resemble the best pulsejet fabrication we see in SS on these forums. All oxyacetylene welded, though. He had a handful of top-notch technicians helping him build rockets for this experimentation.

I have NO experience with it, but I got the idea that it's technically a good material for combustors, but hard to work with. They had a few chambers burn through before they figured out proper cooling, but remember: this was with LOX as an oxidizer!

L Cottrill

Hydrazine
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: re: Reed Valves for 110 lbf Globe/Solar Pulsejet

Post by Hydrazine » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:58 pm

dynajetjerry wrote:Sorry, Guys,

My earlier message got it bass-ackwards! The slotted pieces appear to be the heat shields for the reed valves and the shorter, unslotted items are the actual valves.

To Mike & Wilson & anyone else who is interested, my Globe/Solar contains nothing behind the valve bank that could serve to help reduce heat reaching the reeds. There are no "venturis" or "turbulators" to help its operation.

If & when I figure out how to send attachments to my messages, I plan to enclose pictures & drawings on the Aeromarine 210 lb thrust p-j as well as what descriptions I can devise.

I'm still waiting on JetBill returning my Globe/Solar so that I can more closely examine and photograph it.

See ya!

Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Did you ever get to post the details?

Tony

dynajetjerry

Re: Reed Valves for 110 lbf Globe/Solar Pulsejet

Post by dynajetjerry » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Hi, Tony,
No, I've not posted Globe/Solar stuff on this forum because I'm busy trying to complete my Dyna-Jet book and get it printed. It is requiring vastly more effort and rewriting than I expected but I'm making progress. It will include a one page drawing of the patent application for Aeromarine's 8 inch pj (it was never given a name or other ID.)
To get my Globe/Solar back from JetBill, I had to drive 200 miles (each way,) to his old shop and pick it up. I still have it among my 40+ pulse jet engine examples but don't expect to ever run it (despite Don Laird's urgings.)
Reed valve life, in this engine, might be extended by installing a fuel injector system in the inlet, upstream of the reeds, to supplement the original injectors. The pj could be started as usual then fuel added through the new injectors as the initial flow was reduced, to compensate. This was the successful system that was adopted by Aeromarine Co. for their 8 in pj, in 1950. Of course, any upstream fuel injection can ignite and cause a dangerous fire under certain conditions. That is why I recommend use of the original injectors, alone, for start-up.
Sorry for the long delay.
Jerry Wiles
Louder is always better.