Pulsejet book

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Hydrazine
Antipspambot question: 125

Pulsejet book

Post by Hydrazine » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:08 am

Hi Guys,

Several days ago I visited this website: http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/pulsejetbook.shtml to purchase the online pulsejet book. Only problem is, I made payment but there has been no reply.

I even sent in several emails asking for a status but still there is no reply.

Any ideas? :?:

Thanks,
Tony

WebPilot
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Pulsejet book

Post by WebPilot » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:41 am

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum.

I have moved your topic here to the "off-topic forum".

You have joined the several who have been 'bitten' in the past by that website owner, Bruce Simpson.

I don't why he does that. I have no advice but maybe someone else does.

Have fun here.

Cheers

Hydrazine

Post by Hydrazine » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'll contact paypal for a refund.

Otherwise, would you know where I can find pulsejet plans? 100+ lbf, tested and proven designs?

I've visited the sticky threads but many of the links no longer work. I also saw the note of changing the "2" to a "3" and it worked to an extent but there are a lot of dead links.

Thank you.

metiz

Post by metiz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:02 pm

Hey Hydrazine

To bad about the pulse-jet book. Paypal should give you a refund so no harm done probably (eventualy)

About the 100 pound pulse-jet: have you ever build a smaller pulse-jet? also, do you want a valved or valveless engine? If you manage to find plans for a valveless engine (valved engines can be calculated using Eric's pulse-jet calculator I belive) and decide to build it, be very carefull when running it. I do not know about valved engines since I have never build one but I can tell you that a good 100 pound engine will rattle your bones and give you a headache, knock the wind out of you etc - it can be quite uncomfortable to be near a running engine of that size. The fuel delivery is going to be a challenge to and dangerous if you do not know what you are doing!
Quantify the world.

Kool

Post by Kool » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:17 pm

well, there are hardly any pulsejets on this forum from which I know they're around 100 lbf. :wink:
You could build the Lockwood Hiller, which puts out 55lbs of thrust and which efficiency is not very good. Another plan is from hinote, the ''Forum M1E'', I remember this one was 60lbs+ or so. Another (most current) pulsejet is the Thunderchine(55lbs). Beck technologies sells the Thermalpulse 180-70 which puts out around 70lbs of thrust.

If you really want a plan for a 100lbs pulsejet I think you should contact eric (beck technologies). But why do you want 100 lbs? 50 lbs is already enough to drive a go cart :wink:

I've found the book "the enthusiast's guide to pulsejet engines" and the book:''build a Lockwood pulsejet'' both from Bruce Simpson founded on the web(pm me for the address). But I wonder whether it was legal?
...It's better to generate heat efficiently, than recover it efficiently...

Hydrazine

Post by Hydrazine » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:08 pm

LOL :D
Yeah, 100 lbf is large and its not necessarily my build criteria but if I'm going to put the development and money into building one I may as well make it over the top fun. :mrgreen:

Or maybe a better way to define what would I would really like to work with is based on physical dimensions.... IE I already have a considerable amount of 6" diameter 0.065" wall stainless tubing. If I could use this 6" tubing to build the tail pipe section that would be great. 6" tubing is readily available and rolling a 8" or 9" diameter combustion chamber is easy enough to do.

Either way, I would like to utilize this 6" tubing I currently have. I can't wait to get one going. I've wanted to do this for a long time. 8)

BTW I have the plans for the Lockwood but it doesn't seem quite as appealing. What are these other you refer to? Links?

Thank you,
Tony

Hydrazine

Post by Hydrazine » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:20 pm

metiz wrote:Hey Hydrazine

To bad about the pulse-jet book. Paypal should give you a refund so no harm done probably (eventualy)

About the 100 pound pulse-jet: have you ever build a smaller pulse-jet? also, do you want a valved or valveless engine? If you manage to find plans for a valveless engine (valved engines can be calculated using Eric's pulse-jet calculator I belive) and decide to build it, be very carefull when running it. I do not know about valved engines since I have never build one but I can tell you that a good 100 pound engine will rattle your bones and give you a headache, knock the wind out of you etc - it can be quite uncomfortable to be near a running engine of that size. The fuel delivery is going to be a challenge to and dangerous if you do not know what you are doing!
I've built a couple small pulse jets, a ramjet and many rocket engines.

My greatest experience is by far in rocket propulsion. I worked as a rocket scientist at Boeing and Kaiser Marquardt. Lots of experience with Hydrazine/NTO systems and 98%H2O2/Jet fuel 10K lbf engines. My heart is in rocket propulsion but pulse jets are vastly safer by comparison. At least from a pressure and chemical handling point of view. :)

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:59 pm

Yepper ... 6 " for a tailpipe diameter looks like approx. 110 lbf thrust from my circular rule.

Kool

Post by Kool » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:02 pm

note that the above post is for valved pulsejets. You could calculate the dimensions for a valved pulsejets(with in your case a 6 inch tailpaipe) wiht eric's pulsejet calculator(as metiz said), which could be downloaded at the homepage of www.pulse-jets.com

When you input 113.04lbs, you get a tailpipe diameter of 6 inch, which give an cc dia of 8,75 inch :wink:
...It's better to generate heat efficiently, than recover it efficiently...

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:51 am

nice job, Poeche

I dislike ,'s for .'s in decimal numbers. How do you guys 'across the pond' copy and paste the number into a calculator?

Hydrazine

Post by Hydrazine » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:37 am

Thanks for all the great info and links guys! This is very helpful.

Now that I have a chamber geometry, how do I go about calculating grid and valve parameters?
Total flow area and reed length, width, aspect ratios and thickness?

Equations, papers or general rules of thumb for valve design?

Thank you!
Tony

Hydrazine

Post by Hydrazine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:59 am

WebPilot wrote:Yepper ... 6 " for a tailpipe diameter looks like approx. 110 lbf thrust from my circular rule.

Is there an optimal ratio of pulsejet frequency / valve reed frequency?

I can't recall the specific thread but I think you mentioned the value is some number less than one.

Hydrazine

Post by Hydrazine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:27 pm

Never mind, I found it. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4984

I've been searching threads from oldest to newest.