Coanda " flying saucer" with pulse jet

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Spacetrax
Antipspambot question: 125

Coanda " flying saucer" with pulse jet

Post by Spacetrax » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:26 am

Hi everybody! I signed up here because I want to share with you a very good idea about using pulse jets as a power source for the flying saucers of Henri Coanda. You do not know who Henri Coanda was? He was a very prolific romanian inventor who invented the jet turbine in 1910. He did hundreds of inventions , among them a type of a flying saucer. The function principle is simple: he created a VERY LOW atmospheric pressure directly above the upper surface of the saucer, mantaining the normal pressure under the saucer. As a result, an UPWARD THRUST was created BY THE ATMOSPHERE ITSELF, not by the hot gases exhausted by yhe used gas generator. Here is a novel idea, of NOt using the hot gases for creating direct thrust, but for creating a quite big pressure difference between the upper side and the lower side of the saucer. He managed to create a pressure difference of some 80% of the normal atmospheris pressure, so the resulted upward force created by the pressure difference was big: thousands of kilograms-force per each m^2 of saucer surface!!!
Until now, a lot of people tried to replicate Coanda saucers, but without such dramatic success, like Jean Louis Naudin did ( see http://jlnlabs.online.fr/gfsuav/index.htm ) . They did not know the secret of Henri Coanda, which he did not say publicly, because he worked for the * Germany during WW2 and for the secret american research after WW2.
The secret was revealed now in Romania, the country in which Coanda was born. A book was published, named "Stiinta Secreta" (secret science) see here http://www.librarie.net/carti/144184/Stiinta-secreta - but do not buy the book because it is in romanian language.
Long story short, the secret of Coanda was the special upper surface of his saucers. The upper surface was made of an aluminium sheet FULL OF SMALL HOLES. The holes were 1-2 mm diameter and made 2-3 mm apart from each other. Under that surface was another saucer shaped surface WITHOUT holes and that surface was blown with hot pressured gases. I am sure many of you know about the Coanda Effect.
So, here is my idea of how to use a pulse jet (thermojet) for powering a Coanda Flying Saucer. See the attachment. The problem of free hot gas jets is that they LOSE a lot of energy because of the side vortices. The solution of Henri Coanda was to use the whole energy of the hot gas jets by directign them between two sheets of saucer shaped metal, thus creating a pressure difference between the upper part and the lower part of the saucer. THE EFFICIENCY WAS MUCH HIGHER this way, the upward thrust of the saucer was 4-5 times higher than the thrust of the same free gas jet.
So, I think that this way one could easily make a small flying saucer powered by a 50 pound pulse jet. That small saucer could easily rise a man in the air!

I can not make photos from inside the book Stiinta Secreta, because of their copyright, but I made a sketch showing the general working principle. In the book there were NO dimensions published, but the proportions shown are enough for a try. Unfortunately I do not own a pulse jet for building this device myself, but you people seem to have a lot of pulse jets, so you can easily try this concept.
Keep that in mind: a normal (or higher) atmospheric pressure MUST be kept underneath the saucer, because the downgoing gas jets from the margins of the saucer would suck the air from directly underneath the middle of the saucer, thus creating a low pressure underneath, which is NOT good. That is why I placed the small pipes of the thermojet towards the saucer, for maintaining a realtively high pressure underneath. The air over the upper side of the saucer will be SUCKED through the many small holes of the upper surface, thus creating a low pressure above the saucer.
Somebody please build this device, I am very courious how it works.
Attachments
Coanda-with-thermojet.jpg
My idea of using a thermojet for powering a Coanda Flying Saucer
Last edited by Spacetrax on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Spacetrax

Re: Coanda " flying saucer" with pulse jet

Post by Spacetrax » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:33 am

Here is a device by Henri Coanda, namely four smaller saucers connected to a central fuselage which contains the gas generator and the crew cabin. By adjusting the thrust of the saucers he was able to maneouver the devich in any direction.
Attachments
Coanda___cvadrisustentatrice.1.JPG
Coanda original Modell with 4 saucers

Spacetrax

Post by Spacetrax » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:21 pm

So...is anybody trying to build such a flying saucer? If you succeed please post your results here, there is no point in trying to patent the device, this kind of saucer was patented in the 1930s by Henri Coanda himself :lol: and a lot of the man made UFOs are built after this principle. I suspect that even the Adamski-UFO employed this kind of double layered saucer.

ace_fedde
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by ace_fedde » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:55 pm

Haha! very nice! :D
To many projects on my "build list" though :(

Fedde
Your scepticism is fuel for my brain.

Spacetrax

Post by Spacetrax » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:36 am

Hi! Right, but one could change his priorities. A very cheap device that can make you airborne deserves to be on top of the build list 8)

Jutte

Post by Jutte » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:32 am

OK - just seen this...
Yes I have thought of this as well - pretty much almost exactly
as the picture made by spactrax. Although I haven't done the pulse jet version -
about 20 years ago I did make a model airplane motor version of this - but not with the holes in the upper surface.
Yes it did prove that the coanda theory was possible and could work.
A Hiller type flying platform might be a doable.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Jutte

Post by Jutte » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:54 am

Just as a point of interest - I did have pictures of two Coanda type flying craft made
in America ( 1950's - early 60's)- but then my computer died and the pictures went kaput.One seemed to be
a homebuilt unit , but the other was a company built unit.
Oh yes they were manned craft as well.The pictures I had were of both craft
airborne - but perhaps in ground effect(?) - but definitely off the ground.
Ah - here it is...
Attachments
AstroKinetics-Article.jpg
This is one of them.

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi Jutte

Reminds me of Geoff's flying saucer the British UAV start up that did a small electric flyer based on this principle, woder what happened to them they had a demonstrator flying last time I looked

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Jutte

Post by Jutte » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi Viv - and Merry Christmas to you!
The last thing I had read was that they were working
with the British Department of Defense.

Spacetrax

Post by Spacetrax » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:42 pm

Thank you Jutte for replying.
Indeed, many people and companies tried to replicate Coanda saucers but nobody succeeded to create an EFFICIENT device, because nobody knew that one MUST build an upper surface full of small holes, for absorbing the boundary layer of the upper surface of the aircraft.

That is why I asked if somebody wishes to try this version. It could be a real breakthrough!

Happy holydays to all of you!