What are you planning for new years day/eve?

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

What are you planning for new years day/eve?

Post by metiz » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:46 pm

What are you planning for new years day/ eve?

Got any plans to run a particular engine? Making your own fireworks?

Discuss and post any video's, pics or how to's here!
Quantify the world.

WebPilot
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: What are you planning for new years day/ eve?

Post by WebPilot » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:36 pm

 Perhaps quite mild mannered compared to what most of you are planning, but if the weather is clear and mild, at nightfall on New Year's Eve, I'm going to set up my telescope and try to catch a glimpse of Saturn. I've been successful at this time of year a couple of times in the past and the view with its attendant rings is nothing less than breathtaking when you do it yourself.

"It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and reality of tomorrow."
                         - Robert Goddard

metiz

Post by metiz » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:08 am

NÉÉÉÉÉÉRD!!! :lol:

Haha I joke! but indeed that's a bit different from the "near setting the town on fire" appraoch. Is the 31st the only day that you can view Saturn in close detail?
Quantify the world.

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:28 am

ALERT: Tonight!

Dec 13 - 14 Geminid Meteor Shower peaks at MIDNIGHT EST. Produces bright, medium-speed meteors at its peak (up to 80 meteors/hour). The parent body of the Geminids is a mysterious asteroid known as 3200 Phaethon believed to be an "extinct comet." Very favorable viewing conditions this year.

overcast here

~o~ ~o~ ~o~ ~o~ ~o~

There's always something to see in the sky. I'm a little early this year for the best time to view Saturn, but we're in for a treat. We'll be viewing Saturn with no rings!

March will be the best time for viewing planet-alignment wise.

March 22 - Saturn at Opposition. The ringed planet will be at its closest approach to Earth. This is the best time to view and photograph Saturn and its moons. Saturn's rings will be nearly edge-on this year and will be very difficult to see.

But viewing is always dependent upon the weather. The months, Jan -> Mar, are usually cold, snowy, overcast at night, and windy. By the time the weather warms and clears ... another missed opportunity.

So, if it's warmish and clear on New Year's Eve, I'm going to give it a go.

~o~ ~o~ ~o~ ~o~ ~o~

ALERT: What else is coming Jan 1!

January 3, 4 - Quadrantids Meteor Shower. The Quadrantids are an above average shower, with up to 40 meteors per hour at their peak. The shower usually peaks on January 3 & 4, but some meteors can be visible from January 1 - 5. Best viewing will be from a dark location after midnight. Look for meteors radiating from the constellation Bootes.

See

WebPilot

Re: What are you planning for new years day/eve?

Post by WebPilot » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:57 pm

 It rained, snowed and froze New Year's Eve here, so I didn't bother with the 'scope. It makes me realize how lucky I was to view it the last couple of times. It's been nothing but 20°F and below, so far this year.
 However, I did see Saturn again last night accompanied by a familiar IFO,
sat1.jpg

metiz

Re: What are you planning for new years day/eve?

Post by metiz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:19 pm

To bad the weather didn't cooperate....

I'd post a video of what I've done this newyear but they were *kuch* slightly less then legal. (not vandalism, mind you)
I made some LEGAL =<32mm rockets wich may or may not had some modifications on top wich may or may not would have added some effect
and I lighted some "firecrackers"
Quantify the world.