I do have a disdain :-) for the way that Simon was removed

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

ace_fedde
Antipspambot question: 0

I do have a disdain :-) for the way that Simon was removed

Post by ace_fedde » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:28 pm

Forrest,

Please take the following as constructive criticism, it is meant that way.

I agree with the idea that we should try to keep some (tech)information-density (but not to the extreme) on our forum, but,
the way you treated Simon’s response -on your question- might look more like censorship. :(
And btw, it wasn’t that much off-topic since this topic concerned a program, and it’s relation with OS’s. Simon’s post concerned… software and OS’s.
One might even say that your topics are off-topic in the valved section. They could/should be in the tools section.

Now, I know that you have a different way/idea of posting. You want to build educational threads and don’t like to much distraction in them (then don’t call for distraction :evil: :wink: ).
However their value for the forum and the fact that you put much energy in it, it doesn’t give you the right to “shut up” people and remove their comments (without any comments), to a place where nobody understands them unless they read the valved section.

It would be better, for a next time, to explain (especially to new members like vturbine who don’t know your style) that you try to build an educational, almost monolog thread, instead off a discussion. And that you copy their, in your eyes, off topic comments to another thread (but don’t dump ‘m there like you did now)

In this last case you could for example have posted:
WebPilot wrote:   You never posted you got it to work on your OS. Fear of wine? Disdain for µSoft products? If yes, let’s take that to another thread.
Or even after Simon had posted you could have opened, without locking the thread, a thread opening with your above post and suggest in the original thread to move that discussion there.
Materially seen the result would have been almost the same, but socially seen sooo much better! :D

Again, please take this constructive. If you won’t/can’t, I will ignore your reaction. Not to insult you but because I don’t want to blow up this any bigger.

Fedde
Your scepticism is fuel for my brain.

tufty

Re: I do have a disdain :-) for the way that Simon was removed

Post by tufty » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:15 am

Hey Fedde.

No need to jump to my defence, mate (although thanks for doing so ;-), there was no offence taken. Although, to an extent, at least part of my rant was a direct response, I have no argument with Forrest removing it. It's not exactly on-topic for pulsejets, after all.

Also, I note that Forrest (or one of the other mods) has dropped the non-ranty bit back into the thread, with a link, which is nice. See? The world's a nice place. And we've had 18 inches of snow over 24 hours, so I might go haul out the trekking skis for a bit now.

ace_fedde

Re: I do have a disdain :-) for the way that Simon was removed

Post by ace_fedde » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:56 am

Simon,

My post wasn't meant to defend you ( :( sorry) nor to attack Forrest (but to critisize).
Perhaps with a sharp edge :wink: , it was meant to state how easy actions can be misunderstood, causing e-anger and escalations. After all it seems we need some e-sociology :lol: .

Forrest did reply my post (but removed it), and indeed he didn't mean to "mistreat" you (which you obviously already knew, but other members didn't know). It shows that, as a moderator, you need to be careful how to "arrange" things, even if there's no conflict involved.
Specially the locking of thread looks very aggresive (but in case of a political topic or a smear campaign it is the tool).
So I hope my message came through and we all stay happy :D

Apart from this all I do believe in increasing the info density on our forum. Specially for fresh members it will help studying.
Maybe we should discuss throwing out some older threads that do not contain real info (or fun)

Fedde
Your scepticism is fuel for my brain.