Site layout

Moderator: Mike Everman

Fricke
Antipspambot question: 125

Site layout

Post by Fricke » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:25 am

Hi..

Is it possible to skip the picture and ads that take up most of the top part of the site? I'm using a minilaptop that only have 567 pixels high screen... and most is ads and the big picture so I have to scroll a lot to get to the fun part...

Place the "static" picture and the ads at the bottom... then the site would be much more fun to use... :)

//Fricke :wink:
"woot"
A shrill, obnoxious noise/word used by immature people to express happiness or excitement.
Supposedly started in the gamer community, but is now used by any slack-jawed moron to express delight.

metiz

Re: Site layout

Post by metiz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:56 pm

-and a hell of a lot less people would probably notice and click the adds. revenues would drop and the site might well go offline because hosting costs can no longer be coughed up
Quantify the world.

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:44 am

Maybe there's a browser option to do text only? I don't know. Gotta optimize for and average user being at 800x600. the site hosting doesn't cost much, but having the ads makes it so I'm not out of pocket for it and don't have to ask for donations.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Fricke

Post by Fricke » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:07 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Maybe there's a browser option to do text only? I don't know. Gotta optimize for and average user being at 800x600. the site hosting doesn't cost much, but having the ads makes it so I'm not out of pocket for it and don't have to ask for donations.
Nope... No text only... What difference is it if the Ad's and big banners is on the bottom... I can't see any difference...

"woot"
A shrill, obnoxious noise/word used by immature people to express happiness or excitement.
Supposedly started in the gamer community, but is now used by any slack-jawed moron to express delight.

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:21 pm

Well, fewer people would notice them I guess.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:33 pm

Well, I have an ad at the bottom and at the top, and they make just enough to pay for the hosting, plus a little.

m1tch

Post by m1tch » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:37 am

Is there any chance of adding a 'remove top frame' buttom to remove the pulse-jets.com banner with the smaller links at the bottom, when im in the forum I have already clicked though, so don't really need the naviation to go to the forum again lol :) just a thought (Im meaning the frame at the very top and not the one with the picture of a pulse jet)

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:17 pm

Nope. But I will consider making the pic less tall.

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi all

As I don't get that problem it took me a moment to work out what you were on about, try going direct to the BB via http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb3 and see what happens rather than entering the site from the first page, the original site I think was done in frames (i.e. shows the top and bottom).

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

m1tch

Post by m1tch » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:24 pm

Could there possibly be a projects section added to the site, it would make it easier to separate the ongoing builds from the questions/topics being asked :)

Just an idea :)

silvercheck

Post by silvercheck » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:48 am

The top frame and menue stays there on every page, and it takes up room, and it stays there when clicking links to other sites. Right now it's also got the bottom half of the menu selections cut off. there's no ads on this I dont know why it has to be there. I think a lot more people would visit if this was gone.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:00 pm

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5455#p65299

Now I know why all the trouble. i never go through the pulse-jets.com home page! Make a shortcut with Viv's suggestion above.

Viv

Post by Viv » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi Mike

Time for an update for the front page and dump the old frames layout, but basically that means starting with a clean slate as far as the html is concerned

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:26 pm

Yeah, I'm going to update it all by the end of the year with rapidweaver.

Viv

Post by Viv » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:48 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Yeah, I'm going to update it all by the end of the year with rapidweaver.
Cough! that would not be my first answer to the problem ;-)

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire