Gassifier Gas?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Luuper
Antipspambot question: 125

Gassifier Gas?

Post by Luuper » Sun May 31, 2009 1:15 pm

Can i use gassifier gas in a Pulse Engine, it can be used in a normal car or motorbike engine, but can it be used in this?

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Gassifier Gas?

Post by Viv » Sun May 31, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi Luuper

The simple answer would be yes as pulse jets will run on a wide variety of fuels, the slightly longer answer is that different fuels have different characteristics so some tuning of the engines geometry will be required in practice.

Again a simple answer is going to be "suck it and see!" no one has posted a details of a run on wood gas or any thing similar so it would be interesting see the results.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Rossco
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Rossco » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:52 am

I have played with some gasification.
Short answer... i agree with viv.
Longer answer, LOTS o' gas required!
A standard gasifyer may put out enough for the piston engine it is designed for (just) although a pj will take a really large gasifyer. The other problem will be the vacuume draw most gasifyers work on. A pj will NOT be plug and play. A lot of custom setup involved.
This being said, i would LOVE to see it done!

Rossco
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:00 am

Rossco wrote:This being said, i would LOVE to see it done!

Rossco
Especially when the gassifier is heated by the pulse jet!! :D

Fedde
Your scepticism is fuel for my brain.

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:51 am

hahah, Fedde, this would be a given!

Rossco

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:03 pm

Rossco, Luuper,

I was thinking as a future project about gassifying/cracking waste oil with my PJ to feed itself.
But I just got my first PJ (I bought it, didn't build it :oops: ) so for now it's only bigtalk.
It would start op on propane and switch, after adding, to cracking gasses made in a coil. I would make a oil/water emulsion to prevent carbonisation.

Fedde

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:44 pm

Fedde,
mmm, carefull!
Be cautious of "muddied" water here!

Rossco

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Rossco,
Rossco wrote:Fedde,
mmm, carefull!
Be cautious of "muddied" water here!

Rossco

What is muddied water and what is the danger of it?

Fedde

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:35 pm

I was making a bad pun, emulsion/muddied water ;)
What i refer to is the cracked fuel nuts out there, all getting very close to sprouting "zero point" stuff.
If you are talking on experimentation with gasifying liquid or solid and mixed fuels, and undestanding (or trying to in my case) the underlaying chemestry, great. What i warn of is the crazy complex mechanisms out there, with owners preaching big (although made up) words to their "followers" to then recite down the cult. (some tongue in cheek)

Many areas of interesting research, such as tesla turbines or ANYthing Tesla come under the claims of the overunity crowd and therefore lose credibility.

Rossco

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:07 am

Rossco,

Very clear now. Most times it's pretty easy though to recognize the impossible "mechanisms" because they claim in fact to create energy.
It all comes to: NOBODY CAN CREATE ENERGY
You can only TAKE energy from somewhere (for ex. a fuel, waste heat) where it is to be taken.

I remember all the youtube movies about cars driven on water...
It's true you can split water by electricity in hydrogen and oxygen, but you need (electrical) energy for this. The amount of electrical energy needed for this hydrolysis is, in theory, the same as the amount of combustion energy that you get when you burn the H2 O2 mixture in your engine, so nothing is gained there.
Now in the real world you will even loose (lots of) energy (in heat to the environment) because you will not only create H2/O2 but will also warm up the wires, the water, etc.
Also the cumbustion engine only transfers around 30-40% of the cumbustion energy into performance.

So let's give an example. You are producing H2/O2 mixture which has potential performance of 10 KW. You'll need 15 KW of electrical power to produce that amount of fuel. Therefor your alternator will (try to) extract 20 KW of power from the engine. But your engine only gets provided 10 KW of fuel. :( ...so delivers a performance of 3 KW..... :(
He will start spinning backwards :lol: :lol:

So we just proved that on water you can only drive backwards :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fedde

later I'll explain the proces of cracking and gassifying :D

Jutte

Post by Jutte » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:42 am

yup as I thought - so deleted post...
Last edited by Jutte on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:46 pm

Jutte wrote:I hesitate to post this but hey why not??
Umm....I have seen the proofs that you can't run a car solely on water- some very nice PHD types from the local University explained it to me.
....can't run a car solely on water Exactly! That's why they hide a bunch of batteries and their embarressment (after really believing in the project) in the trunk. :lol: :lol:

Fedde

Jutte

Post by Jutte » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:27 pm

yup as I thought - so deleted post...
sometimes I wonder why I bother...

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:06 pm

ace_fedde wrote: later I'll explain the proces of cracking and gassifying :D Fedde
Cracking oil:
Imagine (thin) glass tubes with a dia of 1" and different lengths.
Now place a tube of 4 inches long horizontally in your hand and move your hand violently up and down. What happens? Nothing.
Now place a tube of 3 meters long in your hand and move your hand now slower. What happens? It brakes.
Pick up a broken off part of 1 meter and move it the same way as the 3 meter tube. What happens? Nothing.
Now move that 1 meter part violently and it will brake.
So the more violent you move the smaller the parts get. And around, the slower you move, the longer are the surviving parts.

Imagine hydrocarbons like these tubes. Then a molecule of methane is a ball, ethane and propane are the 2 and 3" lengths, butane 4", waste oil around 30" and crude oil is like up to a 50"long tube. (Also we will have crossed tubes, they are a bit more stable at the same weight.)

Temperature is nothing else than the energy of vibrations of molecules. The higher the temperature the more violently the molecules vibrate. Do I need to say more...

Methane (C(1)H4) will hardly desintegrate at high temperatures, followed by ethane (C2H6) and yes propane (C4H6) etc. etc.
That's for example why you can't use gasoline (mixture C6 to C15 or around) or kerosine (C9 to C18) in standard pressurejets. Carbonisation will occur.
But why carbonisation and not, for example for one cracked butane molecule, 4 methane molecules?
For the answer count the amount of H molecules in butane (C4H10) and in 4 molecules methane (4 times C1H4).
Answer: there is not enough H (10 present to 16 needed)

So put the coil of the pressurejet on the outside and you're good to go for kerosine (if you use a high pressure fuel pump) because it stays cooler and thus doesn't crack.

How works gassifying wood?
Partly the same as above, but mostly it is an incomplete combustion that produces CO (carbonmonoxide) instead of CO2 (due to the lack of oxygen). CO is an combustible gas with low energy contents, so/but it is a fuel.

Fedde

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:10 pm

Gone to: