Heat Recovery

Moderator: Mike Everman

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Two stroke diesel, turbo compound engines

Post by Viv » Tue May 26, 2009 7:33 pm

ace_fedde wrote:Viv,
Is that a valved 2-stroke, or valveless :lol: (I mean of courese: with ports) or an opposed piston?
I've been looking for smaller 2-stroke diesels, but they are hard to find in Holland. I found and bought though a single cilinder, with ports, air cooled, 500cc. Will be used for experients!
Fedde
Sorry Ace I never saw this post as the page flipped over and I never turned back to see ;-)

Its an opposed piston two stroke with a single crankshaft operating the pistons via rocker arms, the cylinder has ports cut in to it and there is a scavenging blower to aid blow down in the exhaust part of the cycle.

It was ultimately killed off due to GM taking over the British company that made it and wanting to use its own Detroit derived diesel engine (or so the story goes) rather than the two stroke engine.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Viv

Post by Viv » Tue May 26, 2009 7:36 pm

Is that a valved 2-stroke, or valveless :lol: (I mean of courese: with ports) or an opposed piston?
I've been looking for smaller 2-stroke diesels, but they are hard to find in Holland. I found and bought though a single cilinder, with ports, air cooled, 500cc. Will be used for experients!
Fedde
Couldn't wait for an answer, had to find out :wink: . Man, opposed piston, would love to have a motor like that!!
Unfortunatly we hardly have any in Holland... :(

Back to the project, let's make a little side step:

Imagine a piramide shaped chamber with an open basis and an open, cut off, top.
Now place a radiator (connected to the motor's cooling system) on the base of the piramide and a compressor (turbo, roots, driven by the main shaft) on the top of that piramide.
After the compressor we'll make another chamber which has at the other end again (like the exhaust chamber) a turbine This turbine (or air-motor) will also drive the main shaft and will be set and sized to work as a nozzle again.

So what we have now is a radiator placed on a funnel, a compressor sucking in fresh air through that radiator and creating an (significant) overpressure in the folowing chamber because that chamber is nozzled by the little turbine/air-motor.

Seems silly so far...will only cause performance loss... :( But, the performance loss caused by the compressor will be partly regained by the turbine/air motor. :roll:

Now let's say that the air that's sucked through the radiator is warmed up to 70 celsius. Then again the temperature in the pressurized chamber (like our exhaust example) will be higher, depending on the pressure.
If we would somehow cool down the temperature of the air in the pressurized chamber back to 70 celsius (or colder), what would happen to the temperature of the air coming out of the turbine/air-motor? Could it become (even more) colder?

Fedde
Hi Ace

I think Mike should move this to a new thread in wacky turbines as its way off topic for the turbo compound diesel thread ;-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

ace_fedde
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by ace_fedde » Tue May 26, 2009 7:50 pm

Viv wrote: Hi Ace

I think Mike should move this to a new thread in wacky turbines as its way off topic for the turbo compound diesel thread ;-)

Viv
Viv,
By: "in wacky turbines", you mean hybrid jets or off topic forum? Okay with me.

Mike, Mike, can you hear us? Cut us off :D (only from here! :evil: )

Fedde
Your scepticism is fuel for my brain.

Viv

Post by Viv » Tue May 26, 2009 8:17 pm

ace_fedde wrote:
Viv wrote: Hi Ace

Viv
Viv,
By: "in wacky turbines", you mean hybrid jets or off topic forum? Okay with me.

Mike, Mike, can you hear us? Cut us off :D (only from here! :evil: )

Fedde
Yes ;-) by that I mean wacky turbines forum rather than the more traditional none wacky turbines forum.

Secretly I am hoping Mike will give in and adopt the names officially ;-) after all its so much shorter than unconventional multi mode blah blah blah

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Tue May 26, 2009 8:25 pm

Okay, you will PM Mike?
If I lost my story here I will find it somewhere else :wink:

Maybe you'll have more chance if you ask him to change the forum namen into: Unconventional, Multi mode, Hybrid and Wacky-Wacky turbines and jets :lol:

Now, back to business:
ace_fedde wrote: Now let's say that the air that's sucked through the radiator is warmed up to 70 celsius. Then again the temperature in the pressurized chamber (like our exhaust example) will be higher, depending on the pressure.
If we would somehow cool down the temperature of the air in the pressurized chamber back to 70 celsius (or colder), what would happen to the temperature of the air coming out of the turbine/air-motor? Could it become (even more) colder?

Fedde

Viv

Post by Viv » Tue May 26, 2009 8:44 pm

Hi Ace

Wait a while for Mike to move your questions from here to a new thread called "Heat recovery" or some such and we will continue ;-)

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Tue May 26, 2009 8:47 pm

Viv,
Okay. Then let's delete our "removal posts" so there's less to move. I'll start.
Fedde

edit: Ahh, can't delete in this forum.. Mike..please?