TIG welder?

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Charles

TIG welder?

Post by Charles » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:10 am

Hey all,

I'm looking into buying a DC TIG welder on eBay I've seen a few and I was going to this evening purchase this model : 260300034559 it's got all the bits required apart from gas and a face mask! I've got a buddy who works for BOC and I'm trying to source Argon? I think it is for Stainless steel.

Going to sound crazy, but I can't exactly weld but I have a local black-smith where I live and I've been wondering past for ages perking up the courage to pop in and ask for some lessons in possible exchange for some working hours?

Has anyone some pointers for buying welding equipment? And would you say £200-£250 is a okey price to be looking at for buying something in the region of a 200amp unit?

All the best,
Charlie

Charles

Re: TIG welder?

Post by Charles » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:12 am

Maybe this should have gone in the "Tools and Construction" forum, sorry..

*Dunno if anyone can move it for me, but I don't mind it staying here, whatever is easier for everyone :)

All the best,
Charlie

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: TIG welder?

Post by Viv » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:06 pm

Hi Charles

In England you will need a BOC account (ouch) for your gas, yes its an Argon mix and if you tell the guys at the BOC depot you want to weld stainless steel types such as 304 or 316 they will give you the correct gas mix (there are many) bottle rental per year will cost about £65 plus filling another £40? on a small bottle but they will last ages (turn the gas on for a very gentle hiss sound) you will also need filler wire, one for each type of steel! another £15 to £30 per pack

For a TIG you only need a 5 amp to 30 amp unit! MMA units are 200 plus amps but TIGs is little and use finesse ;-) a small DC unit will cost about £250 plus for a nice one, the more you pay the better the torch set will be! a good torch is important and make sure you get a foot switch with power adjust! do not buy one with out or you will cry later.

BUY an adjustable auto darkening helmet with a large window! expect to pay £150 plus at BOC, again you will cry later if you don't

Look for a local welding supply guy, normally there are a few about and the guys at BOC will know who to recommend to help you out, forget the blacksmith go to evening classes at the poly for a city and guilds welding course, mine was about £50 when I did it and covered all types of welding.

Hope that helps but keep your money in your pocket until you do a welding course and know what it is you are buying

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire