Glass CC

Moderator: Mike Everman

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Glass CC

Post by metiz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:41 am

This is a concept I did last night, took me about 90 minutes. The cc is made of a glass jar, intake an exhaust are welded on the .3 mm lid (pain in the ass) the length of the pipes are both guestimates. ill cut and weld on as long as it takes for this thing to run. anyone can spare a high speed cam? :)

I've seen a video on glass forming and I was thinking on making a very simple, linear, coneless engine completely out of glass. If it would even last for 5 seconds, it would make some fine video
Attachments
linear.jpg
linear.jpg (4.82 KiB) Viewed 11107 times
Film.wmv
(1021.14 KiB) Downloaded 1113 times
Quantify the world.

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Glass CC

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:10 am

Oh yes, that would be a hundred dollar video. Maybe more. I've always wanted to do that. I have a glass cc that's a bit too long for it, but tapers nicely at both ends where tubes could be attached. I have access to an ingas camera for when I do it if ever. Have you tried to start that one?
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:49 am

Make it out of Quartz so it can run for hours!!!!
Silicon sand isnt too expensive the real quartz only type. Just use a welding torch to get it to melt...I dunno where Im going with this it would be a fantastic failure :P
Find an old crystal jar and get it really hot work it into whatever shape you want!!!!!
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Ghrey

Post by Ghrey » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:49 am

Word to wise.....

My Glass ram jet shattered, violently.

Be prepared. don't get fragged.
In the process of moving, from the glorified phone booth we had to the house we have.

No real time to work on jets, more space, no time.

Life still complicated.

Chadly33

Post by Chadly33 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:21 am

Ha! I have one of those in the garage! just a jam-jar with an exhaust and an intake though it runs, but only for a few seconds though on methylated spirits.never bothered to post it as I thought it would have been done before. Meybe I should hook it up to my camp stove to see how long it takes to detonate!lol :D
Bribie Islands resident mad scientist!http://www.geocities.com/ozpulse@y7mail ... 5835711956

Sebastian LFT

Post by Sebastian LFT » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:20 pm

That would make for a pretty cool video(questions answered and more questions asked). I've toyed with the idea of using bits and pieces of laboratory glassware. Lots and lots of good shapes to chose from and all you'd need to do is fuse the chunks together to make what ever style pulse jet you wanted...day dreaming commencing now......................................

Good luck! Can't wait to see it in action
You'll never know 'till you try it.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:49 pm

Thermal performance
"One of the most important performances of fused quartz is its extremely low coefficient of
expansion: 5.5 x 10 -7 mm℃ (20-320℃). Its coefficient is 1/34 that of copper’s and only 1/7
of borosilicate glass’. Therefore, this makes the material particularly useful for optical flats,
mirrors, furnace windows and critical optical applications, which require minimum sensitivity
to thermal changes."

Attention to microphone popping would be nice too. Glad she wasn't reading the poem Peter Piper for a presentation.
"Is glass for you? Let's find out together." ha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wm7gMTK ... otech.com/
http://www.vitrotech.com/

Here's a bevy of quartz. Think of all the artistic pulsejet and jam jar wonders you could make with this stuff.
http://www.fusedsilicaquartztube.com/pr ... tztube.htm
Presentation is Everything

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:48 pm

You can cut quartz with an oxy-acetylene torch, so I assume you can take a step back and heat it to the point that it could be worked.
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:33 am

Quartz can actually be worked with an oxy-natural gas flame in what's called an "oxygen blowpipe" -- just a fancy name for a kind of Bunsen burner on steroids that has an oxygen valve (instead of the little adjustable air louvres). It takes persistence and patience to do good work (as in most things). Of course, to make (or modify) a big jar, it would take a pretty huge flame and some good tools for handling the molten mass. It is actually possible to embed some metal fittings into quartz, but I think that's sort of an "industrial engineering" concept. Ha. I don't know whether any metal will work, or only ones that have the characteristic of low thermal expansion. In my ham radio days, I was always amazed at some of the ways metal electrodes were sealed into the glass envelopes of vacuum tubes where they went through from the outside. You'd think those joints would leak like a sieve, but they obviously didn't -- there are antique radios from the early 1900s that are still running. Amazing.

L Cottrill

Al Belli

Post by Al Belli » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:23 pm

Hi Larry,

The glass seals were made using a nickel based alloy, Kovar.

Frim Wiki---

Kovar (trademark of Carpenter Technology Corporation) is a nickel-cobalt ferrous alloy designed to be compatible with the thermal expansion characteristics of borosilicate glass (~5×10-6 /K between 30 and 200°C, to ~10×10-6 /K at 800°C) in order to allow direct mechanical connections over a range of temperatures. It finds application in electroplated conductors entering glass envelopes of electronic parts such as vacuum tubes (valves), X-ray and Microwave tubes and some lightbulbs.

Al Belli

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:19 pm

Borosilicate...Pyrex?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

metiz

Post by metiz » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:26 pm

earogell?
Quantify the world.

Vermin

Post by Vermin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:05 am

I have contemplated this just for fun and have some parts waiting
50ml earlmyer flask (CC)
10ml graduated cyl (intake)
25ml graduated cyl (exhaust)
Components are borocylicate lab glass easy to form and weld with a pencil tip propane torch......would be kewl to watch until it structuraly failed.
V
Attachments
HPIM2960.JPG
HPIM2959.JPG
Vern
A desire to destroy as many man made hydrocarbon compounds as possible in one lifetime.

metiz

Post by metiz » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:17 am

Ha now that's cool! go build that sucker
Quantify the world.

Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:10 pm

Hey there,

I really liked your idea and now it's coming together, have you any updates I'd love to see your progress :)

Charlie