Ignition Coil for valveless .....

Moderator: Mike Everman

_Rahul_
Antipspambot question: 0

Ignition Coil for valveless .....

Post by _Rahul_ » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:20 pm

I was trying to re-build my ignition system. I am following the ckt. diagram as follows:

http://aardvark.co.nz/pjet/images/ignitor1.gif

I guess someone has suggested somewhere to use a Ford ignition coil for this ckt. Now, I cant get an ignition coil from a ford truck ....
Will any ignition coil from a four wheeler (cars) suffice for the purpose?

Rahul
[url=callto://ralph_10019]Image[/url]

tufty

Post by tufty » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:58 am

Yeah, any modern car or motorcycle ignition coil will work with that. You need a coil that's designed for use with a TCI ignition as opposed to a CDI - pretty much any vehicle with an electric start is good, whereas kickstart bikes, weed whackers, chainsaws and the like are out.

Simon

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:42 pm

I once tried a piece of all-thread and raked a contact down the length of thread creating a good zappy spark. The all-thread was positioned one end in the center post/hollow of the car coil. I also had a capacitor/condenser across the two screws located on either side of the center post.
Anyway, I noticed a strong magnetic tug on my contact that I raked down the all-thread making and breaking the circuit. This magnetic effect is useful if you want to make a simple buzz coil. You will also need a set of points and a piece of spring steel. As the current flows though the coil it becomes magnetic and breaks your little setup of points and spring steel. Then when the circuit is broken from the tug of the center post of your coil or electromagnet, the little points clap back together and this movement or arm swing is very slight just enough gap occurs to break the circuit.
You can use an old lawnmower magneto instead of a car coil for your magnetic effect. There are some instructions on the net on how to do this in a low cost way.
I also saw a simple tiny motor with a flap of metal attached to the shaft that as the motor and flap of metal spun/swung, it made contact with a circuit creating a repeating spark.
I also tried using another capacitor off of my stungun so that for some reason my spark became really beefy using the all-thread switching/on-off effect, just playing around one day. I remember I sure had a lot of alligator clips going here and there. ha
Presentation is Everything

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:44 am

http://www.old-engine.com/magbuz.htm
http://www.steamengine.com.au/ic/engine ... index.html

"Jim Lewis, of Atkinson Engine fame, showed me how to make them using a discarded magneto coil from a small lawn mower engine. You may already know that such a coil works very nicely with six volt battery power if you are content with modern make/break-coil/condenser ignition. But had it occurred to you that the magnetic field of the iron core could be used to operate a simple vibrator to deliver a continuous spark? That's what Jim did, I've made some, too, and they work as well as those antiques that are so hard to find these days,"
http://www.lindsaybks.com/arch/spark/index.html

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p027.shtml

Ghrey
Antipspambot question: 125

A relay works too

Post by Ghrey » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:25 am

I have used a double pole double throw relay as a buzzer with the second Half setup as the breaker for the coil.

I easily got 12 inch sparks out of this.
In the process of moving, from the glorified phone booth we had to the house we have.

No real time to work on jets, more space, no time.

Life still complicated.

Mark

The good old days

Post by Mark » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:56 pm

Further experimentation showed how the coil device could bring the shock from a small battery up the strength level of a big battery. So, Callan tried making a bigger coil. With a battery of only 14 seven inch plates, the device produced power enough for an electric shock "so strong that a person who took it felt the effects of it for several days." Callan thought of his creation as a kind of electromagnet; but what he actually made was a primitive induction transformer. [3]

Callan's induction coil also used an interrupter that consisted of a rocking wire that repeatedly dipped into a small cup of mercury (similar to Page). Because of the action of the interrupter, which could make and break the current going into the coil, he called his device the "repeater." Actually, this device was the world's first transformer. Callan had induced a high voltage in the second wire, starting with a low voltage in the adjacent first wire. And the faster he interrupted the current, the bigger the spark. In 1837 he produced his giant induction machine: using a mechanism from a clock to interrupt the current 20 times a second, it generated 15-inch sparks, an estimated 600,000 volts and the largest artificial bolt of electricity then seen.

The batteries that Callan designed had a very high voltage output when connected to coils of wire. Those coils produced electrical shocks. Again Callan didn’t have instruments to measure voltages so he used students to take shocks from his batteries and coil circuits. He then estimated the level of the voltage from their reactions. One of his students called William Walsh was rendered unconscious by one of his circuits. Thereafter Callan was persuaded by the Collage to be more careful with students. He then switched to electrocuting turkeys.[6]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Callan

Mike Everman

Re: The good old days

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:30 pm

Mark wrote:... Callan was persuaded by the Collage to be more careful with students. He then switched to electrocuting turkeys.
ROFL! Ah, redesigning my pulsejet test stand now... Just need a supply of students! How hot is it? Let's seeeee...
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Jim Berquist

More Options

Post by Jim Berquist » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:19 pm

Here are some others for the pile! :D

Edited: These circuits come from this site and are free!

http://www3.telus.net/chemelec/Projects/Metal/Metal.htm
Attachments
Car-Coil-1.png
Car-Coil-1.png (6.33 KiB) Viewed 14113 times
Fencer-1.png
(7.63 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Last edited by Jim Berquist on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:34 pm

Here is a simple setup I use (on rare occasion).
Attachments
sparky.JPG
sparky.JPG (16.28 KiB) Viewed 14074 times

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:59 pm

Pyro, I used that before! One pulse a secound can do the trick some times . Too simple I like Pain!

Ghrey

Bad drawing

Post by Ghrey » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:27 am

Here is a bad drawing of the relay based coil driver.

Hope it helps. ( hope it works I was in a hurry and it is a .pdf )

The big unmarked box with lines in it is the relay. ( oops )
In the process of moving, from the glorified phone booth we had to the house we have.

No real time to work on jets, more space, no time.

Life still complicated.

Jim Berquist

Tim Taylor spark o matic

Post by Jim Berquist » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:15 pm