Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:48 pm

ha ha ha sweeet.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mark

Jam Jar Putt Putt

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:12 pm

Verily, it truly is a putt-putt boat. Désiré Thomas Piot might be smiling somewhere. Theoretically, (ha), you could drive the coil of a typical putt-putt boat from the heat produced from the Reynst putt putt, thereby making it a putt-putt-putt-putt boat. Putt to the fourth power rather, or in some circles a Pop Pop Putt Putt boat. If you wanted to, being artistically motivated or high on peyote, you could load the boat up even more; a tiny Hero's steam engine would be a nice addition. Be the first on your block to have a triple jet powered boat, all running off the same heat source. ha
Good work there with the odd leaning can.

http://waterocket.explorer.free.fr/piot.htm
http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/boat/g_e_flogel.htm
Last edited by Mark on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Presentation is Everything

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:20 pm

being artistically motivated or high on peyote
ROFL LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL dont they go hand in hand William Blake?

Love your work mate, the second one sure was more like a rocket boat, hehehe.
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:51 pm

You should carve up a little hydroplane out of block balsa that will fit your engine. Just smear some epoxy all over it to seal it up. Then, find yourself a little larger pond to work in. Your engine is probably so light that such a boat would only need to be a little longer than the engine itself to work fine, and it would be easy to trim it to balance on the step by shifting the engine fore / aft a little.

The second video does, indeed, show a "rocket assisted" takeoff - this handily takes care of the initial sluggishness of jet powered craft accelerating from a standing start. Unfortunately, this will cause the fuel pool to quickly pile up in the rear of the engine casing, but you may be able to come up with a simple mod to stabilize it.

Yes, great stuff - excellent work!

L Cottrill

Mark

Jam Jar Putt Putt

Post by Mark » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:23 am

Was there any baffle inside your putt putt boat engine or did it just happen to do OK with a very slight incline upward, it looks ever so slightly angled up at the rear?
Think of all the possibilities with a watercraft. You could use the water for cooling and for some as yet unknown/devised special effects in Putt Putt Land. Spiffy red color scheme too. Maybe next a little figurehead on the front. ha
http://www.millwoodtoys.co.uk/images/MYTV247.jpg
http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/windsor/wind ... rehead.jpg
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/i ... rehead.jpg
Presentation is Everything

Johansson

Re: Jam Jar Putt Putt

Post by Johansson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:18 am

Mark wrote:Theoretically, (ha), you could drive the coil of a typical putt-putt boat from the heat produced from the Reynst putt putt, thereby making it a putt-putt-putt-putt boat.
That one gave me a good laugh. :)

Jutte

Post by Jutte » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:15 am

WooHooo! Jet powered putt putt boat with rocket powered
torpedo!
"AHA avast me mateys Black Peach ze Pyrate will never kno
wot hit em!Arghhh!"
Right - now that I have got that out of my system - that was
cool Dude!

PyroJoe
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by PyroJoe » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:14 pm

Thanks for the kind words.
There are no baffles in each for some reason they do good without them. The red one is a replica of the M.T.S. #1 without the big bolt on lid.

The red paint is leftover from the oxygen canister. I haven't run it long enough to burn the paint yet. This was only my third or fourth run with the engine.

I tilted the back up to keep waves from splashing into the opening, it also lowers the Center of Gravity so it is harder to tip over. It will run flat but is tipsy and slower. The wood is water logged and probably weighs 1-2 pounds.

Both jars make about the same thrust (about 1 oz). Both have a 15/32" opening. The differences are in their mass and running times. The red one will run till out of fuel, the black one will only run a few cycles. The red one weighs 13 oz. the black one 1.25 oz. Here is a video of the black one cycling:
Attachments
black.wmv
(211.63 KiB) Downloaded 3068 times

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:10 pm

I had not tested the fast one in water. I had a pre-conceived notion that the water would slow it down a great deal.

It ignited and became a blur. If you listen closely you can hear me laughing at the result.

vturbine

Post by vturbine » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:11 pm

I've studied both putt-putt boats and flash steam powered hydroplane racing for several years now.

I'd like to see one of you guys try to match with a pulsejet what a flash steam powered tethered boat can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVN8iHfQl3s

I also think you could learn much about liquid fueling from the work that has gone on for almost a century for these flash steam boilers. In fact I believe some of the boilers may have been acting in a pulse mode -- possibly Bamford's was. He also built a steam turbine for racing.
BamfordVenturiBoiler.jpg
BamfordVenturiBoiler.jpg (8.21 KiB) Viewed 10301 times
I think tethered model boat racing would be a real natural for pulsejet development, as it has been for high speed high performance steam engines and IC marine engines for many years.

Thrust changes become obvious, and fuel consumption as well, and what more graphic and compelling way is there to get people interested/amazed?

Yes there will be problems with fueling, water spray -- but these also occur with steam engines and generation, water pumps, lubrication, etc. run at up to 1000 PSI, and powered by a miniature kerosens/gasoline boiler!
No problem is too small or trivial if we can really do something about it.

Richard Feynman

vturbine

Post by vturbine » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:44 pm

Here's a photo of a flash steam twin under construction. I made patterns from pine, and a core box and baked cores, and cast the block and oil pan in aluminum. Cylinder liners are press fit D.O.M. steel tube. Also shown is valve plate and box.

I know it's not a pulsejet, but just thought you'd be interested.

I want to see a pulsejet on a pond tether!
Attachments
flashsteam1sm.jpeg
No problem is too small or trivial if we can really do something about it.

Richard Feynman

Ghrey

Post by Ghrey » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:05 am

Ok I will just have stay away from this site at work.

The sound of me busting up, was not exactly what the boss expected to hear coming from my desk.....

Fortunately I work for my wife, and she already KNOWS I am nuts, so it was not as bad as it could have been, but still...

Any way.........

That looks like fun Joe, and I have a pond in the back yard.... MwaHaHaHa!!!!!
In the process of moving, from the glorified phone booth we had to the house we have.

No real time to work on jets, more space, no time.

Life still complicated.