Massimo.
Attachments
G91 (14).JPG
(292.23 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

Irvine.J
Antipspambot question: 0

Awesome plane dude

Post by Irvine.J » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:15 am

Oh man thats so awesome, you know, if you posted some plans you could well have the single most popular pulsejet plane in existence, that thing is a total monster, I LOVE IT!! Sleek, sexy, fast and agile.

Tell us more, size, engine, fuel, fuel deliver, sooo sweet.
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:13 pm

Absolutely beautiful!

Question: In the night shots, how does the red heat of the engine become visible? Isn't the engine fully enclosed in the fuselage?

Very nice model, indeed.

L Cottrill

2m86

Post by 2m86 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:04 am

Hi!
The engine is an homebuilt pulsejet that have 4 Kg of thrust (basically is the same of Zmodel Z23, but with some modifications to increase the thrust and to have a best carburation).
For the temperature, I have covered the internal of fuselage with 0,2mm of alluminium and I have cut the inferior part of the fuselage near the tail!

The fuel tank is around 1 liter (4 minute of flight) and I use the unleaded gasoline (here in Italy the gasoline with lead is out of production from 5 years).
With the gasoline with lead, the pulsejet run very well.
With the unleaded gasoline the pulsejet run not very well (the performance aren't good).
To have good performances in every liter of unleaded gasoline I add 3-4 balls of moth-balls.

The model is builted from a Model Bettini Kit, an Italian factory that have closed two years ago.
The model of this kit is not an original jet model!
Originally the model was predisposed to use an internal combustion engine on the front of the fuselage with propeller.
But I have decide to powered the model with a pulsejet in the rear of the fuselage!
I have moved the wings 10cm to back, I have changed the pilot canopy, the front and the rear of the fuselage,......!!! (a very hard and long work!!)

Bye!

2m86

Post by 2m86 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:13 am

Some Photos
Attachments
G91 (7).JPG
(940.28 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
G91 (3).JPG
(686.01 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
G91 (10).JPG
(155.04 KiB) Downloaded 227 times

milisavljevic
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Pulsejet Flight Video

Post by milisavljevic » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:41 pm

For those of you who are -- and those of you who were* -- too "busy" (I wanted to write "lazy",
but I decided to keep my opinion to myself :wink: ) to download the wonderful photographs posted
by Massimo (forum nick: "2m86"), I have uploaded the entire set in a more forum-friendly size.

Check out the still shots, then see the video. A beautiful project, Massimo. Magnifico! 8)

Cheers,
M.

*This would appear to be almost everyone who has read this thread, so far. And that's too bad.
no safe haven for merchant scum

for ye merchants who do the prop'r t'ing only if
ye be haul'd-up on charges b'fore ye ship-mates
an' threat'nd wit' forfeiture of all ye precious loot
hear this - so-called stand-up guys YE BE NOT

avast!
Cap'n M.

2m86

Post by 2m86 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:17 pm

Many thanks!!! :wink:

I have others photos of the plane.....

Bye
Attachments
G91 (5).JPG
(206.57 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
G91 (11).JPG
(147.16 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
G91 (6).JPG
(282.35 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

milisavljevic
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Pulsejet Flight Video

Post by milisavljevic » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:01 pm

Here are the latest photographs, albeit somewhat smaller. I cropped out the topless cheerleaders. Oops!

Btw., Massimo, uploaded images in the *.jpg format smaller than 800x600 will display automagically. :wink:

Cheers,
M.
no safe haven for merchant scum

for ye merchants who do the prop'r t'ing only if
ye be haul'd-up on charges b'fore ye ship-mates
an' threat'nd wit' forfeiture of all ye precious loot
hear this - so-called stand-up guys YE BE NOT

avast!
Cap'n M.

_Rahul_

Post by _Rahul_ » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:38 pm

"Awesome" wont suffice for this project !! Someone suggest me a better word!!

A few questions,

What was the range of your R/C and any idea what speed it reached?
What did you used for fueling and carburation of gasoline?

Its loud, fast, fiery and motivating !!

excellent project !!
[url=callto://ralph_10019]Image[/url]

2m86

Post by 2m86 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:44 am

Thanks! :wink:

The range of my R/C is about 2,5 kilometers, but the limit is the my eyesight!!
When the model is to around 500-600 meters, is very difficult to distinguish it and to understand well in what position is!!!

I think that the speed in the low passages is around 180 Km/H.

For the fuel (it's hard to explain for me in english, I don't know all the technical words) I have a plastic tank of 1 liter, with to the inside a plastic bag.
The fuel is in the plastic bag.

To make to reach the fuel on the engine, I don't use a pump, but I use the pressure produced in the pulsejet pipe.
I have a thin tube (3mm) that is connected from the pulsejet pipe to the plastic tank.
The pressure go in the plastic tank and push on the plastic bag and the fuel go into the engine!
For the carburation, I have a needle on the pulsejet that regulates the entrance of the fuel!

I hope that you understand.....

Bye! :wink:

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:45 pm

Massimo,
I am interested in your "basically is the same of Zmodel Z23" engine. I want to know more about the 3mm tube that carries pressure to your fuel tank.

"To make to reach the fuel on the engine, I don't use a pump, but I use the pressure produced in the pulsejet pipe.
I have a thin tube (3mm) that is connected from the pulsejet pipe to the plastic tank.
The pressure go in the plastic tank and push on the plastic bag and the fuel go into the engine!"

Can you tell/describe the little 3mm tube that collects pressure? I want to know about the little valve in the 3mm tube that catches the pressure pulses. Is it a minute/tiny reed valve or ball valve making the one-way valve in the 3mm tubing? Did you make that part yourself?
Thanks,
Mark
Presentation is Everything

2m86

Post by 2m86 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi.

I don't have valves on the pressure tube, the tube is direct from pulsejet pipe to plastic tank. The internal diameter of tube is 3mm.

On the pulsejet I have made some modification:
- all the engine (not the pipe) is built in Ergal (I have earned 120 gr);
- the carburation needle system is modified to have a more precise carburation;
- the diameter of air holes are increased;
- in the head, the holes for the mixture air/fuel are increased;
- the valve retainer is modified with much bend.

Bye
Attachments
System.JPG
(55.69 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:39 pm

I have seen a Russian book where they tap pressure off of the combustion chamber and it raises or lowers a pressure gauge/manometer. From the same tube you can either pull a vacuum or get a pressure head merely by reversing the one-way tiny reed valve. There is a timing you can take advantage of, for a puslejet has peaks and valleys in pressure as the combustion pressure varies.
Maybe where your 3mm tubing on the engine is located you get an overall net pressure gain. I used a simple/direct pressure tap from my Logan to run my fuel feed and it was so funny, listening to it instantly rev up and down, because it developed a water hammer effect in the fuel line. It makes me smile just thinking about how hysterical it was.
Another time I used a little one way valve and the pressure just kept building/developing and when the engine finally flooded and stopped, the fuel was still spraying out the fine tiny copper tubing/fuel jet from the pressure head stored in the gas tank.

A picture of a manometer.
http://www.efunda.com/formulae/fluids/i ... eter_A.gif
Presentation is Everything

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:37 pm

2m86 wrote:The fuel tank is around 1 liter (4 minute of flight) and I use the unleaded gasoline (here in Italy the gasoline with lead is out of production from 5 years).
With the gasoline with lead, the pulsejet run very well.
With the unleaded gasoline the pulsejet run not very well (the performance aren't good).
To have good performances in every liter of unleaded gasoline I add 3-4 balls of moth-balls.
Can you get what we call "white gasoline"? It is fuel for camping stoves and camping lanterns - you buy it in 1-gallon (basically, 4 litres) cans at sport shops. Supposedly, pure naphtha with no additives whatsoever. It is expensive, but is a very clean and pure product (looks like water). You should try it some time if you haven't used it before. You will probably need a different needle valve setting from automotive fuel.

L Cottrill

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:09 pm

I find it works great in a 10 to 20% mix with gasoline larry, helps get it all going :)
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]